joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NWS Product Debate

Deck Pic

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is NOT equally likely. It's the goal posts!!! Max possible case, min possible case

So the 10th percentile and 90th percentile of possibilities (as labeled on the bottom of the maps) aren't supposed to be considered equally (un)likely?

Unless I'm totally off, the bottom map seems to be saying that DC has only a 10% chance of receiving less than 3.4" of snow.

As much as I respect LWX, something seems seriously off when their graphics are telling us that this scenario...

attachicon.gif3:16:14 90th %.png

is equally likely as this one.

attachicon.gif3:16:14 10th %.png

Those maps aren't probabilities. Based on those maps for this storm, only 10% of cases would have amounts above the 90th percentile and only 10% of cases would fall below the 10th percentile. As for the 90th percentile threshhold, it seems reasonable, especially if one uses a logarthmic distribution, as Washington has only seen two 10" or greater snowfalls after March 15, the peak being 12" on March 27-28, 1891.

The forecast snowfall map can be found at: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/winterstorm/

One might also argue that the current snowfall graphic could be somewhat aggressive relative to climatology (but not necessarily some of the guidance), as Washington has seen only two 4" or greater snowfalls after March 15 since 1950.

Certain people are able to get away with anything on this board. Even if they constantly act like children.

Trolling LWX employees on a weather board seems counter-productive. I suspect if I started trashing CWG every chance I got people would come out of the woodwork to slam me.

Certain people are able to get away with anything on this board. Even if they constantly act like children.

LWX is actively putting out a product, defending it, and pimping it out on FB, that gives DC a 90% chance of getting more than 3.4"....that is preposterous and deserves to be called out as such

Any chance we can have a b**ch about NWS thread instead of cluttering up this thread with your personal feelings?

ers has 46 posts in this thread, representing a product that gives me a 35% chance of getting more than 8".....There are things that occur in my office that are beyond comprehension, and I am sure anyone's workplace...I wouldn't actively be running around advertising them and then getting all butthurt when people criticize....

Trolling LWX employees on a weather board seems counter-productive. I suspect if I started trashing CWG every chance I got people would come out of the woodwork to slam me.

I dont see it as trolling, it is ok to critical, if you are also factual, and the critique here is justified.   35% chance of more than 8 inches of snow in DC certainly leaves this product open to criticism.

I dont see it as trolling, it is ok to critical, if you are also factual, and the critique here is justified.   35% chance of more than 8 inches of snow in DC certainly leaves this product open to criticism.

The concern was logged yesterday. He doesn't control the maps and is just an employee. My guess is he'll just stop posting instead. 

I've made my point....I have way too many posts in this thread anyway, which I am sure 99% would agree.....As I have said to wxman, DTK, etc...I look forward to all the things coming down the pike...higher res GFS, ecmwf ensembles being folded into experimental products, more probability products, upgrades to NAM...I agree that NWS has done a formidable job with their models given such a deficit in resources.....If ERS is going to actively pimp a product that is heavily  SREF based, and presumably the human tweaking must be measured, then he has subjected himself and his org to criticism,...I have now beaten a dead horse as I tend to do sometimes....I hope I get the 3.5" that LWX has offered as a virtual lock.....if not no big deal...they could totally verify and I could bust....and I hope I do.

I already did

I have kept quiet for 4 weeks now. So my silence is now broken. In my 14 years in this field I've never been on a forum as unprofessional as this one! So you know, several of your members on here have privately messaged me to apologize for the immature and ridiculous comments that have been posted against me. I'm a member of numerous forums even outside of my field and I have never been treated this way before. In fact before I received a red tag from Ian, every comment I made on here ranging from hello and how are you to just providing a background or a snow map was either ignored completely or made fun of with your forum code language. I have not "pimped" anything here. I see snow maps being put out everywhere on this forum and I'm not suggesting a thing. I came here from 2000 miles away to develop the products that you bash! They are in their developmental stages and we have a good start. They are not perfect and neither am I or my colleagues who are bashed on here regularly. Feedback is always good yet this is not feedback. It's harsh and immature. I came to this forum to share your passion of science and meteorology, to provide some experience and contribute, to be a hobbyist. This has been the opposite. Today I'm leaving this forum. I will no longer take part in this.

Ian, please delete my profile today.

Thank you.

Archived