joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the feeling that models are overlooking the potential for modest mesoscale banding up this way on Monday. For that reason I'm not taking QPF too literally at this point, though I do wish we could dig that trough a bit more.

People, not saying in this thread, are already riding each model cycle,its snow maps, and QPF...some things are never going to change.  There's a difference IMO between looking at them for entertainment if you will, and riding them.  Its going to be another fun weekend.

I feel a heartbreaker coming for the Monmouth-NYC and LI crew. They should still do fairly well but not as good as up here.

I guess it will not hurt as bad as getting nothing from the blizzard. We will do fine. Thanks for your concern.

So many learned nothing from the model debacle earlier this week it would seem.

Here's the difference with that storm and this coming in terms of models. The models flipped back and forth significantly up to 6 hrs from event, there was no trend and the euro stayed it's course... All short term sim radars showed snow staying to the east...we chose to ignore the warning signs, now for this coming storming, there is a distinctive trend, each run 1 model after the other falls right in line with the previous, we haven't had this consistency between globals in a while.. And they're trending stronger, I'm 1000 percent more confident with this storm then I was blizzard

Here's the difference with that storm and this coming in terms of models. The models flipped back and forth significantly up to 6 hrs from event, there was no trend and the euro stayed it's course... All short term sim radars showed snow staying to the east...we chose to ignore the warning signs, now for this coming storming, there is a distinctive trend, each run 1 model after the other falls right in line with the previous, we haven't had this consistency between globals in a while.. And they're trending stronger, I'm 1000 percent more confident with this storm then I was blizzard

Agreed, I'm liking our chances too, it just seems like folks want to spike footballs already first. And second, this spat between the inland folks and the coast folks is old. It appears some 'get off' on one or the other doing 'bad' in any storm. It's been a problem for as long as I've been on these boards, close to 20 years now, so it's never going to go away. I'm more or less used to it by now but sometimes it still grinds my gears a bit.

Agreed, I'm liking our chances too, it just seems like folks want to spike footballs already first. And second, this spat between the inland folks and the coast folks is old. It appears some 'get off' on one or the other doing 'bad' in any storm. It's been a problem for as long as I've been on these boards, close to 20 years now, so it's never going to go away. I'm more or less used to it by now but sometimes it still grinds my gears a bit.

Oh did I miss anything good? lol.. What happened now smh. 

I posted that earlier today! Must be some weird algorithm or something, it's shown up a few times since the upgrade. Speaking of cold, check out the Friday morning temps on the Euro  :shiver:

Heh, whoops, didn't see your post. Should still be interesting to see how cold we can get even if the GFS is off its rocker... the NWS point-and-click has me at -7F Monday night, and I've found my forecast lows are usually at least 5 or 6 degrees too warm on radiational cooling nights.

Even without the blizzard, this is starting to turn into a pretty spectacular winter up this way for cold and snow lovers.

I dunno, spectacular for me has to include long duration snowpack.  Including the Thanksgiving storm we've had snow on the ground for what maybe 12-15 days in total?  At this point we would really need to build it quickly and add some rain into it then freeze it to lock it up to approach the number of days we had snow on the ground last year.  IMBY it was near 60 days last year and in the hills around me it was 75+ depending on exposure, that constitutes great.  Spectacular would be not losing it from approximately 12/1>~4/1 even with a thaw or two.  Excessive cold and wind, frequent difficult travel episodes and several mangled shovels  would make it spectacular  :mapsnow:   It takes more than reaching or even exceeding average to use that word IMHO.

Archived