joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So close to all snows... It's a big leap from 18z so the next 4 days or so should be fun yet again

Yeah we have 5 days but this is a completely different setup from the last failure. It approaches us from the SW & with tons of WAA. Verbatim the GFS @ MGJ has roughly 1.17" as snow followed by .46" of a mixed bag.

Yeah we have 5 days but this is a completely different setup from the last failure. It approaches us from the SW & with tons of WAA. Verbatim the GFS @ MGJ has roughly 1.17" as snow followed by .46" of a mixed bag.

That Low tracks just north of Orange County on the gfs.. If we get this thing to 50 miles or so South we may get our promised foot plus

0z GFS Weenie Snow Map @ 144 hrs..

I posted earlier that I would approach this with caution, I still personally think with the exception of miller B's the euro does better with ECS... With that said if the GFS shows this storm for days and the euro loses it or pushes the warmth too North, I would be catious to hug the GFS and toss the euro as many will want to after last night

I posted earlier that I would approach this with caution, I still personally think with the exception of miller B's the euro does better with ECS... With that said if the GFS shows this storm for days and the euro loses it or pushes the warmth too North, I would be catious to hug the GFS and toss the euro as many will want to after last night

The storm is always gonna be there. Its matter of if this is gonna be a liquid or frozen event.

Like many others here, I'm in utter disbelief at the magnitude of this bust. Not sure if I'm worthy of posting in this thread as a new member but I'm surprised I managed to get around 4.0"

I think I can speak for many here, we're a pretty laid back reasonable group here, you don't have to be worried about being worthy as a new member here. Thanks for the report and welcome aboard.

Finally caught up on lost sleep from the weekend. Nice to see a few more threats to track. Thursday night looks good for a couple inches to freshen up the snow pack.

Like many others here, I'm in utter disbelief at the magnitude of this bust. Not sure if I'm worthy of posting in this thread as a new member but I'm surprised I managed to get around 4.0" 

Welcome aboard! I ended up with 2.5" from a max forecast at one point of 18-24"!

06z GFS came back South...keeps mix at about rockland... Very similar to last nights euro.. If that run verified it would be very big snows from rockland county points North... Classic miller A

Checking out the Euro ensembles, it looks like they are favoring a system moving up the Ohio River Valley and possibly redeveloping off the coast. To me it looks more like it will end up a SWFE or possibly a Miller B at this point? A lot of spread though. Still lots of time for this to change. Does look like a juicy system though.

Finally caught up on lost sleep from the weekend. Nice to see a few more threats to track. Thursday night looks good for a couple inches to freshen up the snow pack.

Welcome aboard! I ended up with 2.5" from a max forecast at one point of 18-24"!

Checking out the Euro ensembles, it looks like they are favoring a system moving up the Ohio River Valley and possibly redeveloping off the coast. To me it looks more like it will end up a SWFE or possibly a Miller B at this point? A lot of spread though. Still lots of time for this to change. Does look like a juicy system though.

I will be in Florida to miss this one, but Upton just mentioned that system would be quite progressive and move fast, keeping snow to 6 inches or less. Thoughts?

As I mentioned in the other thread, keep building that pack  :sled:

Yes indeed. You brought up something very interesting in regards to nickel & dime events tend to benefit the longevity of a snowpack. I agree 100%. Last year wasn't nickel & dime but that awesome snowpack was the result of 3-4 different storms and we saw how long that lasted lol.

Yes indeed. You brought up something very interesting in regards to nickel & dime events tend to benefit the longevity of a snowpack. I agree 100%. Last year wasn't nickel & dime but that awesome snowpack was the result of 3-4 different storms and we saw how long that lasted lol.

I have a solid quarter inch of ice underneath the 6-8" of snow on the ground. Should help to keep things in place for awhile, especially if we get a nice little swfe for one of these events.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.  Part of it I think is the different types of snow you get in the layers and part of it is compaction.  Those places in MA that got 30" of powder don't have a 30" snowpack or should I say it didn't add 30" to their pack that was in place.  The bigger the dump the more the settling, at least that's been my experience.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. Part of it I think is the different types of snow you get in the layers and part of it is compaction. Those places in MA that got 30" of powder don't have a 30" snowpack or should I say it didn't add 30" to their pack that was in place. The bigger the dump the more the settling, at least that's been my experience.

The hard hit areas in Buffalo quickly settled from over 70 Inches to around 30 if I recall correctly. That was somewhat aided by a thaw almost immediately following the storm, but still.

Archived