• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

snywx has said it several times this winter: if the coast and eastern areas stay all snow, we're in fringe city. I don't wish out of spite for SNE to rain, but with winter storms it's often an "every man for himself" kind of thing. That said, we have the benefits of both longitude and latitude in marginal storms, so I say let LI and the Boston have their snow in late-January. Many of us in the interior can keep tallying bananas halfway through meteorological spring.

I woke up pretty bummed early this am, but after thinking it over for a while, I'm feeling alright about the whole situation. We've only been tracking this blizzard since, what, Friday night? It's not as if we fell in love with a Miller-A in the long range and spent 10 days anticipating a futile event. I've put up nine inches (and counting) in the past four days, and even though I'm doing a little better today than most in this thread, I think many of y'all out-paced me on Saturday morning. It's 15F, snowing a little bit, and blowing like mad. Had I not been told to expect something like 24" of snow, I'd consider this ideal weather for this time of year.

Finally... while I'm not sure anybody really wants to hear it right now, the Euro spins up a nice overrunning/redeveloper hybrid for the first couple days of February, and the r/s line is well within sight. :)

Man, you've got a great attitude. Kudos!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

snywx has said it several times this winter: if the coast and eastern areas stay all snow, we're in fringe city. I don't wish out of spite for SNE to rain, but with winter storms it's often an "every man for himself" kind of thing. That said, we have the benefits of both longitude and latitude in marginal storms, so I say let LI and the Boston have their snow in late-January. Many of us in the interior can keep tallying bananas halfway through meteorological spring.

I woke up pretty bummed early this am, but after thinking it over for a while, I'm feeling alright about the whole situation. We've only been tracking this blizzard since, what, Friday night? It's not as if we fell in love with a Miller-A in the long range and spent 10 days anticipating a futile event. I've put up nine inches (and counting) in the past four days, and even though I'm doing a little better today than most in this thread, I think many of y'all out-paced me on Saturday morning. It's 15F, snowing a little bit, and blowing like mad. Had I not been told to expect something like 24" of snow, I'd consider this ideal weather for this time of year.

Finally... while I'm not sure anybody really wants to hear it right now, the Euro spins up a nice overrunning/redeveloper hybrid for the first couple days of February, and the r/s line is well within sight. :)

It never fails Julian... Many ppl including myself had "euro vision" and disregarded every other single piece of guidance lol. Many ppl went from trashing to the NAM to oh well the NAM/EURO combo is unbeatable in 6 hrs lol... I know cause i fell in the trap myself. Bottomline is if its all snow on the coast (especially cape cod) then don't expect much here. 

Fellas chins up , we all bought the Euro and it was impossible not to . Its 2015 and 2001 still stings , but you will get even this winter .

mark my words .

I listen to what the professionals inform.

In the past I have made comments on the GFS model, I have been told that I am an  idiot by a few people who act as they are smarter than everyone. I never  bought the euro, but got sucked in by the emotion of 1000 people and pros.

Does not bother me, just sayin.

I am going to wonder over to DT's facebook page later. He has had so many busted calls this year, it is embarassing.

He was taking a beating  late last night. LOL

Best.

I listen to what the professionals inform.

In the past I have made comments on the GFS model, I have been told that I am an  idiot by a few people who act as they are smarter than everyone. I never  bought the euro, but got sucked in by the emotion of 1000 people and pros.

Does not bother me, just sayin.

I am going to wonder over to DT's facebook page later. He has had so many busted calls this year, it is embarassing.

He was taking a beating  late last night. LOL

Best.

Only thing that I am pisssed about is that I was super pumped after seeing the 18 Z nam yesterday.

Never again to look at the model.

Yes sir it does, it's been showing something for a while now. Maybe a plus with this bust is that it may keep all the newbie weenies that showed up in the last few days with their IMBY posts away from the board...a guy can dream can't he...

Love the positive attitude in here. I was thinking this morning that my preferred snow event is a SWFE. We don't get screwed by coastal dynamics or a delayed transfer, the snow comes in fast and furious and is usually locked in with a nice solid layer of freezing drizzle or sleet, they are more predictable to track, and we usually end up with the jackpot somewhere up here. Of course, I'd prefer a 2 ft Miller A, but those aren't so easy to come by.

I have to laugh at the Euro run today, we've had weeks of cold weather, a monumental flop last night, and we are rewarded with a pseudo-Apps runner on Monday  :bag:  Of course, as ENYsnow has mentioned, the Euro seems to be overamping storms this year, so it probably won't verify, but what a kick in the gut!

Love the positive attitude in here. I was thinking this morning that my preferred snow event is a SWFE. We don't get screwed by coastal dynamics or a delayed transfer, the snow comes in fast and furious and is usually locked in with a nice solid layer of freezing drizzle or sleet, they are more predictable to track, and we usually end up with the jackpot somewhere up here. Of course, I'd prefer a 2 ft Miller A, but those aren't so easy to come by.

I have to laugh at the Euro run today, we've had weeks of cold weather, a monumental flop last night, and we are rewarded with a pseudo-Apps runner on Monday  :bag:  Of course, as ENYsnow has mentioned, the Euro seems to be overamping storms this year, so it probably won't verify, but what a kick in the gut!

Yeah SWFE's are pretty great and seemingly more predictable by NWP, I just wish they would move a little slower rather than in and out in 12 hours. I'm riding the ukmet and gfs solutions for the thursday clipper and sun/mon SWFE at this point hah.

Tough to measure this one but I'm gonna call it between 7-8".  I have between 6-12" on the ground depending on wind exposure/deposition with the snow from Sunday.  

So where do we go from here?  Thursday night looks good for 2-4 and then there look to be more chances in the week after that.  Winter seems to be here now.  Delayed but not denied...

Archived