joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The folks in eastern New England are saying "what bust?" Thankfully while still disappointed I don't get worked up over these things like I did when I was younger. It's easy to get caught up in the virtual snowstorms but when you look at actual weather records they're aren't as many two foot plus snowstorms as I think folks anecdotally speaking think there have been. All that said I was hoping to get into double digits, around a foot, but even that ain't gonna happen here. Oh well, on to the next!

3.2 inches of snow for the storm.

Most of it fell yesterday.

Phones ringing off the hook at mt holly nws when I called them. Lol

lol, you got more snow than I did and I was supposedly closer to the worst of the storm!

The folks in eastern New England are saying "what bust?" Thankfully while still disappointed I don't get worked up over these things like I did when I was younger. It's easy to get caught up in the virtual snowstorms but when you look at actual weather records they're aren't as many two foot plus snowstorms as I think folks anecdotally speaking think there have been. All that said I was hoping to get into double digits, around a foot, but even that ain't gonna happen here. Oh well, on to the next!

While I would have liked more snow, I've often commented that I enjoy tracking the storms as much as the storm itself. I've always had a love for the weather, but it hadn't really become a more serious hobby until a few years ago and these storms definitely offer a great learning experience for me.

In any event, despite the lackluster storm, my office is closed today so I will be indulging in some Troegs Blizzard of Hops IPA later since it's the only blizzard I got!  :drunk:

euro didn't do well with the last system and has a tendency to overamp the mid levels, I'm hoping it holds serve but I doubt it. Looks like the southern vort max might swing a little wider right than 12z had it with the H5 low closing off a bit further southeast... unfortunately that could be the difference between 18" and 8" across southern NY

Looks like you nailed it.

The whining on social media is outta control. People b**ch that's it's going to snow and then b**ch when it doesn't. When the most reliable weather model in the world shows a huge storm you can't ignore it but nothing is ever guaranteed. The models are more accurate than not but people don't see that, much like everything else in life they pick and choose what they want to see. So everyone will rant that they want a job where they can be wrong, blah, blah, blah, it's all been said before. So there will be another storm forecast in the future and municipal officials will dismiss it, the public will dismiss it and won't prepare or listen to the warnings and rant "They don't know what they are talking about, they are always wrong anyway" and they will attempt to just go about their business as usual. And that's how people will get hurt and killed in the future due to what happened with this storm.

The whining on social media is outta control. People b**ch that's it's going to snow and then b**ch when it doesn't. When the most reliable weather model in the world shows a huge storm you can't ignore it but nothing is ever guaranteed. The models are more accurate than not but people don't see that, much like everything else in life they pick and choose what they want to see. So everyone will rant that they want a job where they can be wrong, blah, blah, blah, it's all been said before. So there will be another storm forecast in the future and municipal officials will dismiss it, the public will dismiss it and won't prepare or listen to the warnings and rant "They don't know what they are talking about, they are always wrong anyway" and they will attempt to just go about their business as usual. And that's how people will get hurt and killed in the future due to what happened with this storm.

See Irene - Sandy (obviously on a much greater scale than a winter storm).

Me too.  Steady snowfall for the last two hours, tiny flakes and super windy so it's not really accumulating in the important areas.

I got lucky with the shoveling this time.  Went out and started pushing the ~6" of fluff into the street because we hadn't seen a plow yet so I figured I would move it onto the lawn in one big push.  I got it all out the end of the driveway and as I finished that the town plow came by and pushed it all downstream.  Left me a small furrow that I pushed across the street then that got pushed downstream as well.   They used the big trucks this time with the wing blade extended to push the banks back and took out half of the mailboxes on my street.  There are gonna be a bunch of po'd people when they make their way outside this morning. 

I had nearly 30" of snow pack at one point last winter. And a similar amount in the winter of 10/11. The whole region was a snow hole in this storm.

Of course I am exaggerating.......but I hate being shafted. Woukd rather have rain and 50 than to be oh so teased. Time to move on now. My complaining is getting okd even for me. :)

I can't wait til we get a storm track that gives us heavy snow and blasts eastern New England with rain, making them snow envy for once.

snywx has said it several times this winter: if the coast and eastern areas stay all snow, we're in fringe city. I don't wish out of spite for SNE to rain, but with winter storms it's often an "every man for himself" kind of thing. That said, we have the benefits of both longitude and latitude in marginal storms, so I say let LI and the Boston have their snow in late-January. Many of us in the interior can keep tallying bananas halfway through meteorological spring.

I woke up pretty bummed early this am, but after thinking it over for a while, I'm feeling alright about the whole situation. We've only been tracking this blizzard since, what, Friday night? It's not as if we fell in love with a Miller-A in the long range and spent 10 days anticipating a futile event. I've put up nine inches (and counting) in the past four days, and even though I'm doing a little better today than most in this thread, I think many of y'all out-paced me on Saturday morning. It's 15F, snowing a little bit, and blowing like mad. Had I not been told to expect something like 24" of snow, I'd consider this ideal weather for this time of year.

Finally... while I'm not sure anybody really wants to hear it right now, the Euro spins up a nice overrunning/redeveloper hybrid for the first couple days of February, and the r/s line is well within sight. :)

Archived