amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we continue to look over all the models in anticipation of a good dumping on top of our decent snowcover we can't look past what an awesome winter day it is out there. Deep blue skies, cold temps, and wind whipping snow about. This scene is common in my hood today.

Nice. Winds are pretty calm up here, but at these temps, I'm not too upset about that...

Euro is 12-15" verbatim taking ratios into account

Still not convinced our ratios will be that impressive. As of now, I'd go with 7-11" across the region with isolated spots to 13-14", the higher totals as you go farther north. I think the Capital District should be aided more by higher ratios. 

Still not convinced our ratios will be that impressive. As of now, I'd go with 7-11" across the region with isolated spots to 13-14", the higher totals as you go farther north. I think the Capital District should be aided more by higher ratios. 

Some of the 12z GFS ensembles are pretty amped, almost taint all the way up to ALB or a brief period. They don't have much support right now unless the euro ensembles come way north but it's still somewhat concerning. I like where I am for this one but we still have 36 hours of adjustment left.. north or south.

As recently as last week they were showing a "ratio calculator" on TWC with one variable: surface temp. I know broadcast meteorologists often strive for simplicity, but the myth that snow-liquid ratios depend on surface temperatures needs to be stopped.

Remember, freezing rain at 15F would yield ratios of 1:1...

As recently as last week they were showing a "ratio calculator" on TWC with one variable: surface temp. I know broadcast meteorologists often strive for simplicity, but the myth that snow-liquid ratios depend on surface temperatures needs to be stopped.

Remember, freezing rain at 15F would yield ratios of 1:1...

I was going to post the same thing, seeing freezing rain with temps in the teens which is frustrating as hell when it happens in a winter with little snowfall.

I vaguely recall a "rule" that even if you have ideal saturation and lift intersecting a deep DGZ, your ratios will be only be as good as the maximum temp in the column allows. That is, if it's -4C at 850 mb, dendrites falling through the relative "warm layer" are liable to revert to a crystal structure similar to having formed at -4C. Anybody know if there's any truth to this?

Archived