Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our surface temps don't get above 20f for most the storm

I have little to no knowledge of the microphysics of snow, though I do plan on learning more, but I posted a link earlier that uses the Cobb method to generate a snow ratio forecast.

Here's the 12z GFS for KPOU just for conversation sake: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfs&site=kpou  As you can see, ratios during the height of the storm are actually a little below 10:1 at times. There's also a link to the description of the Cobb method on the page. In any event, I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is, but I do see it mentioned at times by forecasters.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial or site to learn more about this stuff?

I have little to no knowledge of the microphysics of snow, though I do plan on learning more, but I posted a link earlier that uses the Cobb method to generate a snow ratio forecast.

Here's the 12z GFS for KPOU just for conversation sake: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfs&site=kpou  As you can see, ratios during the height of the storm are actually a little below 10:1 at times. There's also a link to the description of the Cobb method on the page. In any event, I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is, but I do see it mentioned at times by forecasters.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial or site to learn more about this stuff?

This is a nice little tutorial, might need to login to view it though.

https://www.meted.ucar.edu/norlat/snowdensity/from_mm_to_cm.pdf

NAM still gives lots of snow to those from 84 northward. I think most knew that the mix line would approach Rockland/Westchester/W passic counties. If it approaches Orange county it will prob be short lived.

1st image is hr 42. mix line over my house. Looks like a serious dump prior

2nd image total qpf.

Hope is not all lost, unless there is another big jump north tonight.

Euro, Canadian etc still bark big snows.

post-326-0-92262000-1422737245_thumb.gif

post-326-0-29451400-1422737260_thumb.gif

Quite a dramatic shift in one run. Take it with a grain of salt for now.

I'd go with 6-10" as of now. Have you been to Mexicali Blue? Love that place.

Mexicali blue is on point, I live on Main Street. 6-10" sounds good, a nice run of the mill SECS but unless continue to trend way more north than could be more.

I'd only be concerned if the 00z euro/cmc look anything like the 18z nam. In the past models have tried to dig the northern stream trough too much in the 36 hour range leading to a nw shift, only to come back se a bit as the event unfolds. Of course after the last storm it would be fitting that when we need a se shift it comes nw.

1st image is hr 42. mix line over my house. Looks like a serious dump prior

2nd image total qpf.

Hope is not all lost, unless there is another big jump north tonight.

Euro, Canadian etc still bark big snows.

Your latitude hurts you in these setups. Elevation doesn't help one bit unless you are over 5000'. You might have yourself quite an ice storm down there

Your latitude hurts you in these setups. Elevation doesn't help one bit unless you are over 5000'. You might have yourself quite an ice storm down there

Got a warning for 8-14 inches. I will ride it to the end.

Seems like a reasonable call. Yea i may not be as north as some of the posters here, but I have to work with what I got :snowing:

As noted, I am perfectly fine with a thump over to sleet. I will clean up in March :violin:

Mexicali blue is on point, I live on Main Street. 6-10" sounds good, a nice run of the mill SECS but unless continue to trend way more north than could be more.

Definitely could be more. NWS is saying 8-16" for Ulster, I'm just going a bit more conservative for now given the uncertainty with BL temps and the progressive nature of the system (and the fact that I was burned on Monday night!). 

NAM didn't look that bad to me...got the 850 IP/SN line up to near POU, but looking at northward model trends from last night would project a warmer outcome by 0z tonight. Better than too far south like the last storm I guess.

Due you should get crushed in kingston,, unless you get some weird downsloping effect from the mountains east and west of you.

Due you should get crushed in kingston,, unless you get some weird downsloping effect from the mountains east and west of you.

That's never totally out of the question lol...don't know how many storms have looked great on modeling only to turn out 50-60% less than expected because of some unfortunate wind direction at the height of the precip...

That's never totally out of the question lol...don't know how many storms have looked great on modeling only to turn out 50-60% less than expected because of some unfortunate wind direction at the height of the precip...

Pretty sure it's an easterly flow that would lead to more downsloping for the valley, though I think that's more evident the farther north you go. I will say that, for whatever reason, final snowfall tallies almost always seem less than originally forecasted, at least in my area.

Archived