joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Checking in from DC because I saw some nice runs this area.  Hopefully you guys can cash in.  I'm hoping to do some snowshoeing and/or cross country skiing in the area this season so I'm rooting for you to build up a base.  Good luck!

Thanks! I was really pulling for you guys in this one. It looked like it might turn out decent for you at one point a couple days ago. Hopefully the next one comes through for your region. Fahnestock State Park in Putnam County, NY has some very nice groomed cross country and snowshoe trails. Some decent options to eat around there too, Round Up Texas BBQ on Route 9 in Cold Spring is my favorite BBQ place in the region. The owner is from Texas and the smoking is done in a small trailer on site. Lots of character. You also aren't far from either Beacon or Peekskill, two great choices if you like craft beer, etc. Beacon has The Hop which is a craft beer tasting room/cafe, and in Peekskill, Peekskill Brewery is putting out some amazing brews and there's also Birdsall House which has outstanding food and a great selection of beer.

Perhaps I forgot to take my snow goggles off, but I don't think it's out of the question for someone around here to pick up 18" on Monday. We always do well with SWFEs, so we can probably count on a nice thump with the initial WAA ascent. I'm very confident that at some point the precip shield will become more banded in nature as the low starts to intensify on reaching the coast. That area of high pressure over Ontario is in a perfect place IMO to really tighten the thermal gradient. Looking at 700 mb temps, frontogenesis overhead should be through the roof, barring any major shifts in the tracks of the mid-level circulations. Indeed, GFS QPF graphics hint at a commahead building back to the SW long after the big slug of overrunning precip is gone. The DGZ doesn't look huge, but the strongest lift does appear to stay in or near the growth zone.

In other words, I think we capitalize on our bread-and-butter SWFE snows and then have an opportunity to avail of rapidly intensifying mid-level dynamics. The best of both worlds.

Thoughts?

Perhaps I forgot to take my snow goggles off, but I don't think it's out of the question for someone around here to pick up 18" on Monday. We always do well with SWFEs, so we can probably count on a nice thump with the initial WAA ascent. I'm very confident that at some point the precip shield will become more banded in nature as the low starts to intensify on reaching the coast. That area of high pressure over Ontario is in a perfect place IMO to really tighten the thermal gradient. Looking at 700 mb temps, frontogenesis overhead should be through the roof, barring any major shifts in the tracks of the mid-level circulations. Indeed, GFS QPF graphics hint at a commahead building back to the SW long after the big slug of overrunning precip is gone. The DGZ doesn't look huge, but the strongest lift does appear to stay in or near the growth zone.

In other words, I think we capitalize on our bread-and-butter SWFE snows and then have an opportunity to avail of rapidly intensifying mid-level dynamics. The best of both worlds.

Thoughts?

I completely agree.. There is gonna be an area around here that is gonna experience extremely heavy snow. On the 18z NAM at one point it has northern Orange around 10f while parts of Monmouth county are in the 40's.. What a gradient! 

Thoughts?

Well said. Things look to come together nicely as long as the north trend stops soon. Too much further north and we're talking mid-level dry slot for the southernmost areas. In the past, SWFE's running along a strong baroclinic zone seemed to generate impressive frontogenetical banding well north of the surface low, so the current track (or even a tick south) looks pretty ideal for the lower hudson valley.

Thoughts?

Man, you sound like a pro met! I am impressed!

I know everyone apparently hates it but it's been pretty consistent so I'll share anyway, nam is slightly further north but also stronger, R/S line makes it to southern rockland nams 1.0"+ for most the area

Mix line looks to make it to my house and then it crashed back south.

Hopefully it does not continue to pop north tomorrow.

if we were to believe the NAM you prob taint for a bit but should still cash in on good snows. Anyone from Morris/W Passic/Sussex/Rockland/Orange/Putnam/Dutchess counties should see some impressive rates at one point or another.

I'd be nailed if the nam was right, but 48-60 hrs out i fear the north trend lol

Archived