• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

I spent a lot of time on this system in my video this morning. 

Most models, minus the GFS, have this becoming a closed upper level low. 6z NAM, Euro, and Canadian all show this. If that more intense ULL scenario (non-GFS) scenario is correct, I am pretty confident some snow will fall north and west of the ULL track. Dynamics should to the trick. However, if the GFS, weaker scenario is correct, nah. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent a lot of time on this system in my video this morning. 

Most models, minus the GFS, have this becoming a closed upper level low. 6z NAM, Euro, and Canadian all show this. If that more intense ULL scenario (non-GFS) scenario is correct, I am pretty confident some snow will fall north and west of the ULL track. Dynamics should to the trick. However, if the GFS, weaker scenario is correct, nah. 

wouldn't you go with what three or four models are saying instead of one (GFS)  Euro has performed better anyway, hasn't it.  I was reading where GSP was not going with the GFS but with the Euro.  :sled:

yes, some of us need this to come west. These weak offshore lows only fringe us. With marginal temps it won't amount to much.

isn't climo.....NORTH AND WEST USUALLY? but all we need is this low in the gulf to come a across the gulf states with a good slug of moisture traveling northeast.

NAM finally gets a clue with the southern wave and is a wintry mess for central and western NC.

Euro Ensemble is stronger with the southern wave and closes it off south of Atlanta and tracks it across Columbia, to Hatteras.  850mb low tracks right up the Carolina coast.  Sfc low tracks across northern FL to just off the Carolina coast, and is stronger this run.  All textbook for central and western NC, and SC upstate snow...but will it be cold enough?  The one piece missing is ridging in SW and south central Canada, with locked in 50/50 low, to deliver and maintain the cold air.

Exactly Grit.  The models lost this feature for the most part for the last several days, that's why I've essentially given up on this storm.  It's just not going to be cold enough IMO (for CLT anyway) Perhaps 40 N will have one more shot at winter this year....

saw mathew east blog and he thinks the other models are correct with a closed ull.  he like gsp said gfs is the only model not showing this scenario.  I guess GFS is out to lunch and is having a hard time sorting this storm out which is what has happened most of the winter.   Let's hope all other models are correct...

This looks to be an almost perfect track for wnc. Two contour cut off low at hr 72 on the 12z nam.

If only the nam were reliable at this range, you can't argue with the trends though. As weak as the last several southern waves have been it's hard not to think this one will trend stronger. Guess I'm thinking more on law of averages but I don't see a reason for it not to happen. Euro is close to that as well so we shall see

This looks to be an almost perfect track for wnc.  Two contour cut off low at hr 72 on the 12z nam.

Yeah it does. What concerns me its lost all CAD.  Be a rainstorm from the foothills to the coast.

LOL at 12z NAM -- now THAT'S a "cutoff" low -- 850 low takes an entire day to move from Alabama to Ga.

Lol. I see that. Makes no sense.

Yeah, mainly because it spends almost the entire run SW of N.C. -- no cold air draw down with SE flow. If you assume there is a deform band there that the NAM isn't picking up on, this kind of a run would be a dream for N. Ga./SE Tenn.

The ULL appears to work its magic in TN, northern MS and AL, but it doesn't translate into the Carolinas.

Everyone. With that ULL do not worry about temps. As you can see once it closes off and gets two contours it's creating a loop of 850 temps that are cold enough. That's the models seeing the cold core and it would be enough to produce snow on the NW side of it. This would all be dynamically driven as Matthew East stated. 

I'm not sure the models are going to change drastically at this point to give us what we want. we need that storm today not chasing a retreating high pressure.. As much as I'd like more winter weather I've given up on this one

Come on now, it's the nam towards the end of it's run. I wouldn't hang anything on this run. You will be eating crow if you let this 'warm' run of the nam skew your thoughts. Give it time, I think NW SC, N GA, and Central and western NC are easily in the running for a decent storm

Come on now, it's the nam towards the end of it's run. I wouldn't hang anything on this run. You will be eating crow if you let this 'warm' run of the nam skew your thoughts. Give it time, I think NW SC, N GA, and Central and western NC are easily in the running for a decent storm

IF it is right with the ULL getting stronger it def. will not die out as quickly as it shows in later frames. It should stay stronger longer and make it to the coast. I'm more worried about track right now. Should be fun to see if the GFS follows suit. 

Agree....if you look at that ULL it moves ne from central  alabama up towards ne georgia from hr 63 thru 75, then stops abruptly and heads due S SE back down towards the beaufort/savahhah area from hr 75 thruough 84.  Looks strange to me.  

Archived