• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting coming through, but thermals look horrible!

It looses it's steam @75. Not too strong, but I do like what the GFS is doing. If it can get to a 2 or 3 contour low there is enough of a cold air feed to the north that it would work it's magic. That's a lot to ask but I could see this getting stronger and staying stronger for longer. It's about in the perfect position for folks in the SE too. If only that 1036 High could stick around longer. 

Regarding the potential CAD portion fwiw, the high has strengthened on the 12Z GFS vs.today's 0Z GFS as of the key time of 12Z 3/6 by 3 mb from 1034 to 1037 mb. Do we have a strengthening trend in the high that will continue? That's about the only hope for the CAD portion of 3/6-7 to somehow come back to life. I'll be following this closely although the Miller A also needs to come back to life.

This one is no where near over yet.  That was a much better run for the gfs with the low closing off and the high to the north trending stronger.

It looks like it's trying to close off again @87  :weight_lift: . If the Euro comes back around I'll be very excited for this. Usually on the ULL's the GFS leads the way though which is why this really has my interest. Alas though it's just one run. 

It looks like it's trying to close off again @87  :weight_lift: . If the Euro comes back around I'll be very excited for this. Usually on the ULL's the GFS leads the way though which is why this really has my interest. Alas though it's just one run. 

Ditto..lol Closes off again @93.  Not hanging my hat on this run but it gives us hope that the storm isn't dead.  Nice to see the gfs picking up the ULL first also.  Hope the trend continues!

ya, I understand what your saying Burger, but 2m and 850's look MEH at best.  I am not saying that its all the way correct, but its got others saying the same thing.  EURO will be a bit more interesting today.

Though I've been burned by the ULL before I do like all the cold air up north. That ULL though needs to be strong than one contour. If so it should be able to create it's own cold air core especially with any already cold air funneled in. Those are all big IFs though and I agree with only the GFS on our sides it's about like being a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. 

Though I've been burned by the ULL before I do like all the cold air up north. That ULL though needs to be strong than one contour. If so it should be able to create it's own cold air core especially with any already cold air funneled in. Those are all big IFs though and I agree with only the GFS on our sides it's about like being a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. 

LOL  If it closes off and its a couple of contours, sure...there is a chance, but You better have some elevation to it cuz if not...I just don't see it.  Doc will be a bit more interesting today.

Hey James, moving forward if the ULL is shown I prefer looking at thickness vs. 850's that usually tells the tale of how much cold air is actually working it's way in. Just something to keep track of. 

Ah, interesting.  Are you usually looking for the 540 line or something a little higher with the ULL?

Ah, interesting.  Are you usually looking for the 540 line or something a little higher with the ULL?

Usually 540 line. If it's sagging that's a really good indication that cold enough air for snow is wrapping in and the core is strong. Really ULLs will actually have a 540 line at it's core. 

CMC is really wrapping up the energy and has a closed off low right over AVL. It looks like on 5h it maybe moves southeast? That seems a little odd to go from AVL to CAE to CHS or so but ULL's will do that. 

My maps don't show it closed off, almost but never really does, you might have better maps though.

CMC is really wrapping up the energy and has a closed off low right over AVL. It looks like on 5h it maybe moves southeast? That seems a little odd to go from AVL to CAE to CHS or so but ULL's will do that.

The 09 had a slight SE movement , if iirc? It came through TN through NGA over Athens and then just S of GSP to just S of CLT!??

Regarding the potential CAD portion fwiw, the high has strengthened on the 12Z GFS vs.today's 0Z GFS as of the key time of 12Z 3/6 by 3 mb from 1034 to 1037 mb. Do we have a strengthening trend in the high that will continue? That's about the only hope for the CAD portion of 3/6-7 to somehow come back to life. I'll be following this closely although the Miller A also needs to come back to life.

Maybe I'm the only poster not yet completely giving up on the return of the CAD threat. Yes, there's a long way to go and odds are currently low but I still think there's time to trend back, especially considering that changes have been pretty large since Saturday (i.e., unstable models) and the Euro was still showing a major threat for CAD areas as recently as the 0Z run of yesterday (3/2). That's why I said yesterday I was going to give it till today (really tonight's 0Z runs) before giving up. So, I'll keep watching the strength of the potential CAD high for the rest of the day and night and also see if the Miller A returns to like it was. The low likely needs to be weak and it needs to be near the N GOM instead of off the SE coast as of 12Z 3/6.

So to repeat, the 12Z GFS has the high at 1037 mb vs. 1034 on the 0Z GFS. The just released 12Z CMC has the high at 1040 mb vs. 1039 on today's 0Z and 1035 on yesterday's 0Z CMC.

Edit: Yesterday's 12Z Euro was at 1038 while today's 0Z was only 1035. Based on the overerall model trends since 0Z today, I expect a stronger high than the 0Z Euro on today's 12Z Euro. We'll see.

Edit #2; GEFS: 0Z: 1033; 6Z: 1034; 12Z: 1034

Maybe I'm the only poster not yet completely giving up on the return of the CAD threat. Yes, there's a long way to go and odds are currently low but I still think there's time to trend back, especially considering that changes have been pretty large since Saturday (i.e., unstable models) and the Euro was still showing a major threat for CAD areas as recently as the 0Z run of yesterday (3/2). That's why I said yesterday I was going to give it till today (really tonight's 0Z runs) before giving up. So, I'll keep watching the strength of the potential CAD high for the rest of the day and night and also see if the Miller A returns to like it was.

So to repeat, the 12Z GFS has the high at 1037 mb vs. 1034 on the 0Z GFS. The just released 12Z CMC has the high at 1040 mb vs. 1039 on today's 0Z and 1035 on yesterday's 0Z CMC.

March can be full of surprises.  I don't give up until April no matter what, and with cold air around, moisture underneath, cads, and ulls, anything can happen :) And if not this week, there is always next week, and the one after...as long as the pattern since last March doesn't change, and the highs keep coming down.  I'd just as soon see a stable, cool, ull and cad filled summer again too.  Last summer was pretty good, but I think we can do better.  I think a summer without any 80's or 90's would be grand, lol, though that might require Katla going off :)  Tony

Maybe I'm the only poster not yet completely giving up on the return of the CAD threat. Yes, there's a long way to go and odds are currently low but I still think there's time to trend back, especially considering that changes have been pretty large since Saturday (i.e., unstable models) and the Euro was still showing a major threat for CAD areas as recently as the 0Z run of yesterday (3/2). That's why I said yesterday I was going to give it till today (really tonight's 0Z runs) before giving up. So, I'll keep watching the strength of the potential CAD high for the rest of the day and night and also see if the Miller A returns to like it was. The low likely needs to be weak and it needs to be near the N GOM instead of off the SE coast as of 12Z 3/6.

Edit: Yesterday's 12Z Euro was at 1038 while today's 0Z was only 1035. Based on the overerall model trends since 0Z today, I expect a stronger high than the 0Z Euro on today's 12Z Euro. We'll see.

Edit #2; GEFS: 0Z: 1033; 6Z: 1034; 12Z: 1034

For 12Z on 3/6:

-12Z UKMET yesterday had a 1034 high over SE Canada with virtually no CAD. In contrast, today's 12Z UKMET has a 1038 high just NW of Maine and with much stronger CAD (wedge signature quite evident).

- 12Z JMA: similar comparison; 12Z yesterday had 1034; today's 12Z has 1036 with much more CAD.

12Z Doc up next.

Archived