northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Tuesday over running event

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z NAM has very strong 500-700mb VVs and 925mb temps are cooler, over the area.

This is really looking like a winter storm warning event for our entire area with 5 to 8 inches of snow and 1 to 2 inch per hour rates. Wonder now if someone gets 8 to 9 inches on the north shore of LI with extreme heavy rates. Winds look to go from ESE to NE with excellent track of features for a significant snow. Somebody gets 8 to 9 inches in our immediate NYC LI area with 2 inch per hour rates.

My god. Remarkable how this seemingly innocuous system has transformed within 24 hours of the event into this...What a season so far. During most years I'd be very skeptical of a setup like this along the coast, but with recent trends and the way this season has been going, even the very bullish scenarios seem possible. Yet another system that needs to be watched VERY closely....

of course the NAM has to come in with one of its over the top solutions - how many here think that amount will verify ? Raise your hands

of course the NAM has to come in with one of its over the top solutions - how many here think that amount will verify ?

RGEM SREF JMA. Are all .5. It's slightly above the rest of the guidance. But as always best to look at the whole suite before

Jumping on board.

My god. Remarkable how this seemingly innocuous system has transformed within 24 hours of the event into this...What a season so far. During most years I'd be very skeptical of a setup like this along the coast, but with recent trends and the way this season has been going, even the very bullish scenarios seem possible. Yet another system that needs to be watched VERY closely....

Been an amazing season for tracking, prob wont see a similar winter in terms of numerous moderate snowfalls for quite sometime.  We still have a month or so of decent opportunities for snow and knowing how this winter has gone...well is it possible NYC beats its all time snow record? Yes.

6 to 10 inches may be a safe forecast for NYC and LI at this point already. I can not believe how this is looking right now.

Mike this is from the hi res NAM and from a model that is notorious for producing the most qpf of almost all the models. Not biting till i see support from the GFS/RGEM/GGEM and some from the EURO

UVV's like that just may be able to overcome the low level warming taking place on the SE winds-last NAM run kept it cold enough for everyone save maybe the Twin Forks. We'll have to watch this closely but for now I'm holding back the enthusiasm for very near the coast. Again, just inland and even part of NYC may be a different story.

UVV's like that just may be able to overcome the low level warming taking place on the SE winds-last NAM run kept it cold enough for everyone save maybe the Twin Forks. We'll have to watch this closely but for now I'm holding back the enthusiasm for very near the coast. Again, just inland and even part of NYC may be a different story.

850 to 700mb thicknesses indicates a pretty significant EWL and the Bl doesn't look much better. .. Still not excited for this one. The Ewl makes sense given that potent flow injecting into that strong mid level Ridge over the area.

I imagine with those UVVs, we would see dynamic cooling at the surface from Philly to NYC since the upper air temps look fine. 

Agree. If those vv's are realized, and since there is a very shallow layer of warm air there should be no problem dynamically cooling the surface temperature.

850 to 700mb thicknesses indicates a pretty significant EWL and the Bl doesn't look much better. .. Still not excited for this one. The Ewl makes sense given that potent flow injecting into that strong mid level Ridge over the area.

If these precipitation totals come to pass this could border on a significant event in the burbs (Union, Essex, Bergen and N&W) but I don't see this being significant along the coast or in the metro with the wind direction and boundary layer as modeled.

The 4k nam is as follows. 6 plus through Philly into Trenton into nyc and up around through the NS of Nassau county.

its 8 to 10 in NWNJ

CNJ through Staten Island Brooklyn lower queens onto Long Island north of the south shore expwy looks 2 to 3. In Monmouth county once east of the gsp to the south shore of Nassau and Suffolk it shows zilch.

I have this feeling that the temps will be lower than forecasted, right now it is 19F in NYC at 9am, hopefully we can get a little radiational cooling tonight before the clouds roll in, HP is 1032 on top of us right now, the precip should come in in the early morning hours so there is no solar heating, rates can overcome those quickly with 850's cold enough

Archived