northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Tuesday over running event

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote this morning. Seeing the micro climate here at work my entire life you will see 1 to 2 inches from Asbury through Atlantic highlands to jfk long beach ( sorry Jim ) all the way out to Suffolk County and then flip to rain. But once to western Monmouth up through westerm staten island n nyc into LGA and onto the North shore of Nassau County u get 4 to 6

And then in nwnj once N of 80 west of the tpke it's likely 6 to 8.

The line tomrrw between heavy rain and heavy snow will b a short drive. And for some painfully short.

I wrote this morning. Seeing the micro climate here at work my entire life you will see 1 to 2 inches from Asbury through Atlantic highlands to jfk long beach ( sorry Jim ) all the way out to Suffolk County and then flip to rain. But once to western Monmouth up through westerm staten island n nyc into LGA and onto the North shore of Nassau County u get 4 to 6

And then in nwnj once N of 80 west of the tpke it's likely 6 to 8.

The line tomrrw between heavy rain and heavy snow will b a short drive. And for some painfully short.

Could not agree with this More though I might push things back in nyc Metro just a tad.

The fetch from the SE comes from pretty far off the coast though, where temps are warmer. We're going to need some luck to be favorable in this scenario. Right now I think it will be hard to squeeze out more than an inch or two before rain or amongst periods of rain.

That said the surface isn't that warm even down by JFK, like 34 or so for much of the precip. So we may just have room for a 33-34 type thumping snow. But it's very questionable.

While you're correct on the fetch of warm air from the SE, the colder waters along the immediate coast may help cool down the air further. If this was December, then I'd think rain. But it's February, with very cold SST especially right along the coast, heavy precip rates and cold 850's doesn't scream an all rain event here. Think worst comes to worst, snow to a mix of rain and snow during the heaviest precip and then drizzle.

Hmm that's interesting. Wondering why the hires nam is showing a pretty pronounced 850 to 700mb issue for coastal and nyc east areas.

I think it's at 27 hours on hi res nam though when the band really swings thru so it's s actually not captured there on txt.

At hour 27 though it's still plenty cold on the soundings. Surface only gets to 34. Upper levels are fine.

140217150904.gif

At hour 27 though it's still plenty cold on the soundings. Surface only gets to 34. Upper levels are fine.

140217150904.gif

You are right. From 850 to 700 is 1524m. Just cold enough in that layer. I'm more speaking of nyc Metro though and coastal nj. Would be interested in seeing other soundings from the area as I suspect Frg may differ from other areas.

The trend this morning has been Wetter and colder. And I assume WSW with 6 plus go up from mercer all the way up in the LHV for everyone west of 95 and 2 to 4 for most others with the exception of Ocean Counties the 12z suite has bought the deeper slp and evaporative cooling

What about nyc and coastal nj... As that's who I'm more concerned for anyway.

JFK didn't look terrible, cold to about 950mb for most of the heavy precip. It seems to warm up more as the precip shuts off. NYC looked cold enough at all levels. BLM looked okay to start but warms up very fast such that by 15z it's too warm below 875mb.

The trend this morning has been Wetter and colder. And I assume WSW with 6 plus go up from mercer all the way up in the LHV for everyone west of 95 and 2 to 4 for most others with the exception of Ocean Counties the 12z suite has bought the deeper slp and evaporative cooling

Pauly,

Mt holly never includes W Monmouth as a seperate climate as compared to the coast so I will be very surprised if we are included.

Similar to where Mt. Holly shows their 1-2" totals but probably 2-4" N&W of I-95 and even more north of I-80 (3-6"). I don't know about the immediate NYC metro as I'm not familiar with the dichotomy of snowfall totals in such a marginal setup with these kinds of events.

Then that's not just 1 to 3 right. I knw we may not get 6. But u hav to b fair when looking at the entire area.

Some of those bands in the midwest are producing 4"/hr snows FWIW

0810 AM SNOW 4 W POLK CITY 41.78N 93.80W

02/17/2014 E2.0 INCH POLK IA TRAINED SPOTTER

HEAVY SNOW AND A LITTLE THUNDER AROUND

740AM. SNOW LETTING UP NOW.

Nice. Unfortunately it's not a continuous system, and most of that energy is going to be transferred to the coast instead of manifested overhead. Chicago winter continues.

Archived