• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20-21 Heavy Rain/Flooding/High Wind Threat

Hoosier

Kinda surprised the post-frontal wind potential isn't getting more play though a lot going on I guess with heavy rain/severe potential.  I'm seeing widespread 50+ mph gust potential (possibly high wind warning criteria), if not here then north of here as that area will be closer to the bombing low.

From IND's AFD:

AM CONCERNED ABOUT GUSTY WINDS THE COLD   ADVECTION BEHIND THE FRONT THURSDAY NIGHT WITH GUSTS OVER 40 MPH   POSSIBLE.  

:)

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't lose as much snow today as I expected but temps only made the mid-30's. Tomorrow low 40's with full sunshine should easily do away with the rest of what we got yesterday. Then thursday, The Great Melt™ arrives.

the snow will barely budget in the shade tomorrow.You wont lose all that you gained last night. Will be interesting to see what transpires Thursday.

the snow will barely budget in the shade tomorrow.You wont lose all that you gained last night. Will be interesting to see what transpires Thursday.

I hope you're right...but IMBY, it hit 45 today with sun from 7 AM - 1 PM, then clouds after that...and depth dropped from 16" to 10".  The winds and full sun really did a number on the snow, even as dewpoints never got above 32.  'Tis that time of year. :)

I spent the last 2 years living up at MTU(back in the Mt.Clemens area now)...

Last year I actually lived a couple hundred feet from the Hancock "snow-dump" in Ripley. Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but this pile was huge. Probably an average height of ~20ft, but the length and width was insane. When I get a chance, ill measure the dimensions on google earth.

I remember it being warm enough for my roommate and I to catch a tan on the porch while studying for finals in early may, and if I remember correctly, that pile had barely budged. It was still 95% or so its maximal height.... I left town the week after, and it was still above 90%.

While the DTW pile looks huge, you gotta remember that the city was dumping multiple gravel-hauler sized loads there per day. (And it wasnt quiet either. I cant remember how many times I thought someone was trying to kick in my front door only to find a gravel-hauler dropping off another load accross the street.

That aside, I thought it'd be a perfect time to chime in for my first post. Ive been following the forum for the past 2 years and have appreciated the wealth of everyones WX knowledge.

I'm an Electrical Engineering student so weathers definitely not my "forte", but I enjoy trying to learn what I can from scrolling the post!

Welcome to the board.  I am also an MTU EE. Spent 5 awesome years there including 2 full summer.

Post what's going on up there.  I always love a good MTU report.  The webcam's are great to watch but having some tell us what is going on ... even better!!

With the rain, fog, thunderstorms and temps/dews in the 40s, budget for at least half the snow pack to go away.

I second this. I lost two 20 inch+ snowpacks in late December and in mid January when we had uppers 40s for 2-3 days. We lost everything except piles both times. The higher sun angle is going to be even stronger in ripping apart the snow-pack. Both times we had 1 inch+ of rain though which is the real culprit in bringing down the snowpack so quickly.

With the rain, fog, thunderstorms and temps/dews in the 40s, budget for at least half the snow pack to go away.

At least we'll most likely keep our streak of 1" of snow on the ground going and could break the record, unless things get really crazy on Thursday which would be potentially catastrophic.

I spent the last 2 years living up at MTU(back in the Mt.Clemens area now)...

Last year I actually lived a couple hundred feet from the Hancock "snow-dump" in Ripley. Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but this pile was huge. Probably an average height of ~20ft, but the length and width was insane. When I get a chance, ill measure the dimensions on google earth.

I remember it being warm enough for my roommate and I to catch a tan on the porch while studying for finals in early may, and if I remember correctly, that pile had barely budged. It was still 95% or so its maximal height.... I left town the week after, and it was still above 90%.

While the DTW pile looks huge, you gotta remember that the city was dumping multiple gravel-hauler sized loads there per day. (And it wasnt quiet either. I cant remember how many times I thought someone was trying to kick in my front door only to find a gravel-hauler dropping off another load accross the street.

That aside, I thought it'd be a perfect time to chime in for my first post. Ive been following the forum for the past 2 years and have appreciated the wealth of everyones WX knowledge.

I'm an Electrical Engineering student so weathers definitely not my "forte", but I enjoy trying to learn what I can from scrolling the post!

Welcome aboard.

Losing half our snow depth and coming out still double digits is kinda mind boggling

Yes pretty crazy. I still have snow, slush or whatever it is otg from Decembers Ice storm.

Dtx has lows of around 20 tomorrow night Im wondering if we get a period of Snow/Ice before the rain. How much is the big question mark.

Tomorrow will do a lot damage temps near 40 full sunshine.

Yeah there will be a lot of melting tomorrow probably as much as Thursday. Further south Friday could be near to slightly above freezing as well, combined with wind, that will dent the snow pack as well. That wind though might save our ass from having a big time black ice issue Friday Night into Saturday.

Yeah there will be a lot of melting tomorrow probably as much as Thursday. Further south Friday could be near to slightly above freezing as well, combined with wind, that will dent the snow pack as well. That wind though might save our ass from having a big time black ice issue Friday Night into Saturday.

Black Ice is the worst thing in winter. People flying down the road everything appears to be good. Next couple nights is a legit issue.

What is the deal with the Detroit/ Erie connection. That's all frozen hard over right? What's going to happen when the water from the storm drains can't get to the river/lake?

I believe the river itself is open, however all the tributaries into the Detroit River are frozen and Lake Erie is as well.

Archived