Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20-21 Heavy Rain/Flooding/High Wind Threat

Hoosier

I miss the old Geos :lol:

Seriously though...with the water stored in our snowpack...a bit of sublimation means next to nothing. Need to avoid the heaviest rain and warmest temps here.

Hey, weather is weather.

Around here it's the bottom 4" that will take a pounding rain or a string of 50s to melt out. Above that it is generally 15:1 or so. Today's snow will compact in no time. 

If the storm doesn't crank up and shunts the warmest air south of us, then I'll probably be back to where I was on January 10-11th... the 3-4" glacier.

Edit: The old Geos will be back next winter. In a "normal" winter this is the time I start flipping to spring mode.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, weather is weather.

Around here it's the bottom 4" that will take a pounding rain or a string of 50s to melt out. Above that it is generally 15:1 or so. Today's snow will compact in no time. 

If the storm doesn't crank up and shunts the warmest air south of us, then I'll probably be back to where I was on January 10-11th... the 3-4" glacier.

you aint losing all your snow but the glacier if that happens. prob wont lose it all but the glacier unless its 50+ degrees anyways.   prob lose what you got today over the next two days if that.

you aint losing all your snow but the glacier if that happens. prob wont lose it all but the glacier unless its 50+ degrees anyways.   prob lose what you got today over the next two days if that.

A repeat similar to 12/26/08 would wipe a whole lot. Don't see that happening right now though. Definitely should have quite a bit more room to put snow by the end of the week.

Hey, weather is weather.

Edit: The old Geos will be back next winter. In a "normal" winter this is the time I start flipping to spring mode.

entire snowpack here is pretty dense...much more so than the last pre-thaw pack.

Guess I'll post this here.

Depending on the track it takes and how quickly it deepens, this low may be flirting with the lowest February barometric pressures once it gets toward northern Michigan/UP.  Here's a map of the lowest February pressures on record.  I believe many of these in IL/IN etc were set with the deep low on 2/28/1902.

In case some don't know how to read this, put a decimal between the 2nd and 3rd numbers on the map and mentally add a 9 in front to come up with the pressure.

FebruaryRecordLowSLPs.gif

Euro bombs the storm pretty good Thursday.  Looking like a half inch or so of rain followed by dry slot and gusty winds here.  Expecting zero snow.  Biggest impacts will be severe well southeast, and developing snowstorm/blizzard way up north.

Looks like the Euro goes sub 970 mb over Lake Superior.

Some of these model showing 1"+ liquid.  Yikes I already have ~5" core.  Temps here will peaking in the low 40s for only about 6-12 hours and going back below freezing.  My core after this will be 6" or more!!! :yikes:

Not looking forward to this rain storm (it would be nice to get a t-storm but seasonally I know not to hold on to that hope here). :underthewx:

The 25 ft snow banks at DTW will probably be around until July once this freezes over :lol:

:lmao: I saw them last week....absolutely insane. I have never seen anything like that, even in my trips to Lake Superior snowbelt. I think they reserve that whole space for all the runways snow anyway, so even in a lackluster winter theres a lot piled up there. I need to figure out how I can go there and take pics....not a good idea to fiddle around with a camera while driving on the service drive at the airport :lol:

Archived