• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

How far northwest do you think that warming gets, and more importantly, how far do think upper level warming gets?

It's here in NW Philly, so it's backing in westward.  Didn't even think about why the visibility was up but looking at the returns, am thinking it may be due to ip mixing in with the snow.  Just got up and looked out again and vis down to 1/2 mile and much heavier SN moving to SN+ territory so the line must be near and wavering...

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't question the professionals but I would expect to see our area of Chesco turning over within an hour or 2 at most after PHL goes over to IP but maybe they are thinking the backlash later this evening accounts for a good portion of that

Whoa that map seems pretty bullish in my area (14-18").

Haven't gone out to measure yet, but seems as though we have about 5"

Heaviest snow the past hour and a half in Lionville

One thing about these maps (which I personally don't like, but I don't program them) is that they are actually based on single number input.  I.e., if it gets even slightly above 14, it spits out a 14-18 range.  So, really they are forecasting probably 14 or 15, but the map is programmed to do certain ranges.

Which guidance are they using to get that amount? Just curious as with the change over anticipated in a couple hours for Chester County I didn't think it was going to be possible to get over a foot. Thanks!

Which guidance are they using to get that amount? Just curious as with the change over anticipated in a couple hours for Chester County I didn't think it was going to be possible to get over a foot. Thanks!

That I couldn't tell you.  Its forecaster discretion/judgement.  They could just draw whatever they like.  Making those maps is like coloring in Photoshop ;)

of course IP also counts as snow but as Ray pointed out that may work out to a 3 to 1 liquid ratio so relative slow additional snow accums with that until/if it goes back over to snow tonight

I don't question the professionals but I would expect to see our area of Chesco turning over within an hour or 2 at most after PHL goes over to IP but maybe they are thinking the backlash later this evening accounts for a good portion of that

Morning all....cabin temp is 20 with SN, have not measured but it's not too much yet IMO.

Down the shore I checked the front cam and it appears to be raining now, I did see a plow come through and scrape what appeared to be a wet snow. temp at the house is currently 33.

Have only taken a quick peek at the radar and it appears the SN+ is south heading our way in the Poconos.

Archived