• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
kvskelton

0z NAM total snow:

Just a hair south early in the run.  Really, what everyone is seeing is much less qpf...much less.  Probably because it is faster.  The biggest difference, it makes no attempt to turn a tad north over North Carolina.  That is the main difference.  Just goes OTS.  I don't think this goes directly OTS...I think it pulls north just a tad on its way out.  Remember, cold air has not penetrated as far south as modeled this winter.  That makes a huge difference here.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, one good thing we can say at this point is that the temps look pretty good for the TN Valley.  QPF is another matter, but at the end of the day I'd take a bit of a hit on the snow totals if it meant more confidence in what did fall was snow and would stick.  Glad we're not as much in the battle zone there, with ice/mix/rain/whoknowswhat.

Biggest thing that concerns me is the NAM really backed off on qpf, as does the newest RGEM........really shunting the moisture field further south.

Looks like the new ingest into the models was good, but not leading to the outcome we want. Looks like its not keying as much on the initial overrunning wave. Still lots to figure out here, and getting pretty close to kickoff......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had to make (a very amateur) call at this point based on everything I've seen, I'd say 1-2 inches I-40 north, 2-4 I-40 south with TRI, CHA, and the southern border counties doing a little better.  Lots of modeling to go and it'll be the 12z or 0z runs tomorrow before we zero in probably.  Basically the Euro, as everything seems to be trending towards it.

I have serious doubts for my area getting more than 2 inches. The NAM has been pretty terrible this year, honestly all the models have until within 24 hours and some of them still have trouble at that range. There has been a slight tendency for more of a NW trend for precip shields this year as the event gets closer. Spending the entire winter with a neutral to positive NAO and not having a decided NW trend on storms is almost a miracle in and of itself. 

0z GFS is way south with the 1st wave. The precip field does not even get past the southern border of Tennessee and by hour 66 the wave has already slid off to the east.

This has been pretty consistent on the GFS. It's been skipping over Tennessee the last several runs. Been hitting southern Arkansas and Southeastern North Carolina and not much for anyone else.

Archived