Newest Member
    bowsunski
February 8-12 East Coast Storm Potential

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

96 was big no question!

But for those of us here in central Long Island..February 8th-9th 13' "nemo" last year was the most epic snowstorm! 3' of pure cement...people stranded everywhere even on the lie which was shut down for hours! Never before had I seen anything like that around here.

Yeah, I lived through the 93 Superstorm, the Blizzard of 96, the President's Day II Storm(s), the Boxing Day Storm when I was in Maryland (all gave me between 20 and 29").  Even though PDII technically gave me the most in Annapolis at 29", 96 is no doubt my number 1 storm and still is because everything came together so well. (Lots of snow, single day, ACTUAL blizzard criteria met, heavy snow, massive drifting, everyone knew 1 week in advance, first time I saw military/coast guard on patrol, thunder snow, "snow-tornado" reports, schools closed for 4 days, very cold, very early in the year, etc.. plus people talked about it for years up and down the coast.  

Since I moved to Long Island, I experienced probably the heaviest snowfall ever - over 33" in less than a day last year - catching lots of people off guard straight from work, the reason being the deformation band stayed over my area the whole time even as it pivoted.  But guess what, people 15 miles east and west and south of me got maybe half of that.  People showed up to work a couple days later like it was no big deal because they didn't have to shovel 3-5 foot drifts like I did. And if I'm the only one at work who has stories to tell, then it's just a "cool story, bro" to everyone else instead of "omg yeah, that storm was incredible! i could walk onto the roof of my one story home from all the snow in that storm! etc..."

Luckily the first storm for Sunday moves out of the way and sets the table for what it looked like we would have been getting this weekend.

Not even close to giving up on this one yet yank. The EURO ensembles still consistently tout this threat. The GFS and american models are just waffling right now IMO. It did improve today at 12Z so that should be noted

Yeah I agree, the setup looks better again for later next week. Unfortunately we've had a trend of storms looking more impressive in the mid to long range only falling apart as time goes on. Today's event was modeled to be much stronger at days 7-10 than it actually turned out.

Completely disagree, look at both Jan events, those little systems in 12/10 and 12/17, 2/3, they all looked more impressive as we were 48 hours when it trended in our favor, all of the systems "crept up" on us, this one however was consistent in the MR

Completely disagree, look at both Jan events, those little systems in 12/10 and 12/17, 2/3, they all looked more impressive as we were 48 hours when it trended in our favor, all of the systems "crept up" on us, this one however was consistent in the MR

Really want to hear earthlights input on this system still 100+ hours out and people sounding like they want to give up over model runs instead of looking at 500mb pattern

Let me refresh some people`s memory who wanted to dismiss Mondays system and said , " We should sacrafice this, for the bigger one coming  Tuesday "  , Those of us ignored that  and said it was coming  , the result  was 6- 10  Philly to NY onto LI .

Then the argument that no way Tuesdays ( today`s system )  was gona cut , result SLP to Beckley .

Now we are going for 3 in a row  inside 7 days ( would be a record on the board ) . " We are lucky Sundays storm is moving out of the way  for something bigger "    

The call . Sundays storm will sharpen up ,  Should move to the BM  IMHO 

Archived