• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-12 East Coast Storm Potential

REDMK6GLI

That's centered the day before the storm. 

that makes ZERO difference. The players are on the field, there should be quality analogs on that list....

-pna/+nao/se ridge isnt a combo to write home about...yeah, I keep hearing about the -epo, jury is still out if that one index can save a bad other 3

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that makes ZERO difference. The players are on the field, there should be quality analogs on that list....

-pna/+nao/se ridge isnt a combo to write home about...yeah,

-pna/+nao/se ridge isnt a combo to write home about...yeah, I keep hearing about the -epo, jury is still out if that one index can save a bad other 3

The jury isn't out. It has happened this winter.

We have had many times the past several years where we had great setups that didn't deliver. There have also been numerous occasions where the setup was much less than perfect that delivered big storms. I'm all for being doubtful, but most of us have already surpassed our seasonal snowfall totals well before February....so I can't complain one bit. Also, with a wild weather week coming up, it's rather exciting

( Only thing I will give you )  , Data shows systems dropping 10 plus inches at KNYC (  there have only been 32 in 100 plus years )     50 perc  the time the NAO was NEG  and 50 per   it were POS .

The PNA out of those same 32, 75 perc were pos PNA .

Here may be one difference with a 4 SD below normal WPO

You really build a dam across the pole and the PV is trapped in Canada and yes just like the last time

its retrogression or pulse must be well timed on the EC .

Note how all the snow we got this winter so far was without a dominant -NAO (early Jan had a transient block in a neutral NAO dominated pattern tho), all thanks to the -EPO, the pattern you mentioned sounds unfavorable but it happened in Feb 1994, Feb 2013 was in a -PNA

The storm after New Year's was greatly helped by the temporary west based block we had. It would be a huge bonus to have that again for these threats.

The storm after New Year's was greatly helped by the temporary west based block we had. It would be a huge bonus to have that again for these threats.

Well heights near greenland are expected to rise. The feb 5/6th system could be a 50/50 and also the -EPO helping to lock in the cold air and Hp system over SE canada certainly is going to help, as currently modeled

verbatim that hP cell is WAY too far east on the ensemble hr216 forecast for it to stay snow along the coast - useless to discuss this far out...but ill say it again this pattern doesnt favor big snow at our latitude...+nao/-pna is crappy any way you cut it. Significantly better C and N NE

It's all about the baroclinic zone starting out over SC and pushing north with the storm. But I have no idea what these progs

are going to actually look like when we get closer. It's still too far out, but this run verbatim is all snow with just a little to much suppression since the high is so strong and far south to start out. the 850's this run never get above

0 west of a line from BLM to ISP. But a weaker high with a shift north would mean snow to rain.

Like you bet on your job last year.

sometimes people are wrong, but no need to attack them on it when factually what he is saying is much closer to being accurate... no offense, as someone who's lurked for years, I've seen you always optimistic and be burned dozens of times.. so dont call others out unless you can stand by your record, which has been mediocre at best..

I just want to point out that the system on the 5th doesn't have to be a cutter in order for the follow up system to work out. We need a strong low pressure system out of the first one, that is all. And should we cash in on both, it might rival Washington DC's 2010.

No. Completely different setup. We do not have historic block or negative AO that is off the charts. February 2010 is in a class of its own.

( Only thing I will give you )  , Data shows systems dropping 10 plus inches at KNYC (  there have only been 32 in 100 plus years )     50 perc  the time the NAO was NEG  and 50 per   it were POS .

The PNA out of those same 32, 75 perc were pos PNA .

Here may be one difference with a 4 SD below normal WPO

You really build a dam across the pole and the PV is trapped in Canada and yes just like the last time

its retrogression or pulse must be well timed on the EC .

what? open up the kocin book. 50 pct on +nao? WRONG.

From 1950-2000 only SIX of THIRTY KU storms had a +NAO.....some had the NAO going positive through the storm but not leading up to it

Also, of those 6, FOUR tainted in and around the NYC area

what? open up the kocin book. 50 pct on +nao? WRONG.

From 1950-2000 only SIX of THIRTY KU storms had a +NAO.....some had the NAO going positive through the storm but not leading up to it

Also, of those 6, FOUR tainted in and around the NYC area

UNC , posted a  couple weeks ago the 30 storms at KNYC  with 10 inches or more that happened over the last  100 years or so  15 were NEG  14 were POS , If UNC cant find it , I will go back for you .  the 31st 2 weeks ago POS NAO .

UNC , posted a  couple weeks ago the 30 storms at KNYC  with 10 inches or more that happened over the last  100 years or so  15 were NEG  14 were POS , If UNC cant find it , I will go back for you .  the 31st 2 weeks ago POS NAO .

ill go by the KU book - no disrespect to unc. Its not just about NYC, i know some of you find that hard to believe....he was probably posting only NYC stats...those arent reflective of the pattern as a whole.

for you, there is potential through may 30th, every single storm.

for anyone that understands the maps, they know weds is quickly slipping away....and saturday is following in the same foot steps with the same pattern setup

No you cannot say that because if our storm cuts on Wednesday it strengthens the PV and 50/50 block and suppresses the next storm further south for us to get into good snows

Archived