• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/29/14 Cape Cod and SE Areas Tuesday Night/Wed AM

Clinch Leatherwood

This is one of those system that it mgith be fun to be hunkered down in a cottage at CC National Seashore. Quite cold and wintry.

Yeah, Monomoy FTW

That's about what is modeled at the moment. It's not really until after 06z where it moves more nrly.

Agreed, we won't see much north push until after 1030 or 11. 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like in a prog flow, any late NW ticks by guidance need to be taken lightly. we've seen it a couple times this winter.

It's very banded to our SW.  The main band looks to me like it's on a trajectory to miss me to the east.  Decent other returns around DCA may make it up across but I don't think they're dropping any real precip.

Im looking at radar blossom near dc and over Delmarva moving ne (not ene)

If one looks at the lift around 5H , there is nice VV's modeled where precip is blossoming (now and esp at 0z) as VV's increase from low to hour 0z to 3z , this is showing up on radar now. Not sure if its hitting ground but (if its is) then things look intriguing for rest of nite. I will look at mid atl obs. I havent look'd at wind direction forecast , but i would be happy if there is any easterly (nne) component after midnite)

If you look at 18z gfs or new nam you can see VV's really get going at 5H now and that lift overspreads sne esp (s) of route 2 between midnite and 3am (sw to ne) and last to 9z (sw) and 11-12z (ne) i think we have to watch HFD to BOS for a cpl hours of steady snow from like midnite to 6am (from sw to ne)

Im looking at radar blossom near dc and over Delmarva moving ne (not ene)

If one looks at the lift around 5H , there is nice VV's modeled at that level right where precip is blossoming just as VV's increase from low to much better hour 0z to 3z , this is showing up on radar now. No sure if its hitting ground but (if its is) then i def like this area to blossom.

If you look at 18z gfs or new nam you can see VV's really get going at 5H now and that lift overspreads sne esp (s) of route 2 between midnite and 3am (sw to ne) i think we have to watch HFD to BOS for a cpl hours of steady snow from like midnite to 6am (from sw to ne)

Yeah radar looks nice.  I was just watching it being to show signs of the "lift" north.  I think we may have a little bit of a sharp edge to the serious stuff but let's see.

Note on the 0z NAM vs even the 18z...how much the models are still struggling with the strength/speed of the system.

I should say gfs is really confined to se mass with good 5h lift while nam gets a further nw (with some lift like HFD to BoS but again better se mass/cape

I think it may rip from EWB to PYM if gfs is right, best lift on gfs is actually like 11-2 am. Nam a tad later and bit more impressive ...again esp EWB to PYM/GHG

I should say gfs is really confined to se mass with good 5h lift while nam gets a further nw (with some lift like HFD to BoS but again better se mass/cape

I think it may rip from EWB to PYM if gfs is right, best lift on gfs is actually like 11-2 am. Nam a tad later and bit more impressive ...again esp EWB to PYM/GHG

4km nam shows the pounding pretty well.  Let's see how this develops.  As usual I'll have to stay up all night or get up early or just say F'it, not worth it and go to sleep.  MOST of the time I end up tired and looking at about 1/2" of snow in these situations :0

Anyone hear of any reports yet, of precip on the south shore of LI or out on the islands?

..as of 10:15..nothing here on the south shore of LI..I'm in eastport which is just west of westhampton beach..

hoping for an inch or two out on the east end..

DC is getting mod snow

yea, sterling still not impressed fwiw.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

1003 PM EST TUE JAN 28 2014

.SYNOPSIS...

LOW PRESSURE WILL PASS BY TO OUR SOUTH AND EAST TONIGHT. HIGH

PRESSURE WILL BUILD OVERHEAD WEDNESDAY BEFORE MOVING OFF THE COAST

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY. A COLD FRONT WILL PASS THROUGH THE REGION

SATURDAY NIGHT AND HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD OVERHEAD SUNDAY.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --

WE`VE HAD TWO REPORTS OF 1" IN ST. MARYS CO...ONLY T ELSEWHERE. LATEST RGNL STLT IMGRY NOT LOOKING OVERLY IMPRESSIVE - BUT WL LET THE ADVSRY TAKE ITS COURSE. THERE WL BE SOME SNOW IN THE ADVSRY AREA...AND ST. MARYS MAY INDEED RCV 2" TNGT. THIS SHOULD BE WELL E OF THE CWA BY 12Z WED.

Ian said it's moderate snow. I trust him

Webcams show some covered highways etc, so there's some nice snow.  of note it's further NW than the GFS and RAP had it...no surprise here we go again with the best banding on the NW edge.

It's way more impressive than I expected to see at this point.  Now we just need to get it up here.

Archived