joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28/29th Storm Model Disco and Obs

NorthArlington101

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I have noticed is the dewpoint is declining this afternoon, here in Baltimore anyway..BWI now at -9...Maybe Im wrong, but seems to me that would take a lot to overcome, and maybe the models are struggling with portraying whats virga and whats not.

Modeled QPF accounts for virga.  But, there will be virga for awhile most likely if radar echoes reach us.  Although it started snowing in Roanoke with pretty big dewpoint depressions.  

Modeled QPF accounts for virga.  But, there will be virga for awhile most likely if radar echoes reach us.  Although it started snowing in Roanoke with pretty big dewpoint depressions.  

Couldnt higher elevation be a role for Roanoke seeing things fall faster? Ill defer to you, but I would think lower elevations would have a longer lag time.

I don't have evidence on hand to back it up but I think sfc RH is often a better indicator.  It snows plenty with 40%+ or so, which we're already not far off of.  I would worry less about dew points and more about just getting precip up here.  

I wonder how the lack of sun tonight, when D.C. is being modeled to receive precip, would affect the effects of the high dewpoint depressions?

Couldnt higher elevation be a role for Roanoke seeing things fall faster? Ill defer to you, but I would think lower elevations would have a longer lag time.

If the column is uniformly dry that might be true.  Probably would have to look at a skew-t.

I don't have evidence on hand to back it up but I think sfc RH is often a better indicator.  It snows plenty with 40%+ or so, which we're already not far off of.  I would worry less about dew points and more about just getting precip up here.  

Yeah, 40-50% is usually a good ROT I'd say.  I think we're still advecting in some drier air though.  

If the column is uniformly dry that might be true.  Probably would have to look at a skew-t.

Yeah, 40-50% is usually a good ROT I'd say.  I think we're still advecting in some drier air though.  

Here is 12Z for Blacksburg http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/sounding?region=naconf&TYPE=GIF%3ASKEWT&YEAR=2014&MONTH=01&FROM=2812&TO=2900&STNM=72318

2014012812.72318.skewt.gif

and Dulles http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/sounding?region=naconf&TYPE=GIF%3ASKEWT&YEAR=2014&MONTH=01&FROM=2812&TO=2900&STNM=72403

2014012812.72403.skewt.gif

There does seem to be some similarities with the moist upper levels, but Blacksburg does look to have a thicker moist layer in the low levels.

Archived