SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28/29th Storm Model Disco and Obs

NorthArlington101

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the other side, some are skeptical of legit measurements because so and so is close and they claim they got more. Have to account for banding etc. That was the case last night as a persistent heavy band set up across my area and over towards Dover and SNJ. Areas just south of me had generally 3.

Just a bit of post mortem on the storm wrt model performance. IMO the NAM did well. For those who just looked at the precip shield and qpf and want to slam it, well go back and look at the 700 mb panels. NAM had the best VVs over Delmarva and across to SNJ, right where the heavier snow fell- and above what was forecast. Lift was weaker west of I-95. GFS  did not have the same strong lift through the snow growth zone, so its solution would have resulted in less snow (for my area) even though qpf was fairly comparable.

It's kinda funny at times. I'm like you. I have my spots. They are good. Rarely is there an outlier between them unless it's windy. I don't do 6 hour stuff so I just do my best and wait for the various trained spotter reports nearby and corroborate before I update my totals. Pretty simple stuff and accurate for a hobbyist.

I just take a few measurements, average it, and add 15% to account for errors.

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I LOVE Winter! I'm from Harford County, MD. So far, this winter has been very nice. I got more snow on Dec. 8 than I got the last two seasons COMBINED! My season's total is now at 23.3". The .3" was from last night, and apparently, that's enough to close schools lol...

Welcome great to have you. If you constantly make male genetalia jokes we will get along well.

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I LOVE Winter! I'm from Harford County, MD. So far, this winter has been very nice. I got more snow on Dec. 8 than I got the last two seasons COMBINED! My season's total is now at 23.3". The .3" was from last night, and apparently, that's enough to close schools lol...

Hey Marcus!

Archived