joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS for 1/21 Coastal storm- The king of NW trends

Mitchell Gaines

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy band entering central DE (Dover, Del) and rates have increased quickly. Winds just kicked up good too. Looking at the snow make, I would say its at least 12:1. Early today we had more of a sleet / graupel type precip, now its a nice fluffy snow. Not much along the lines of accumulation yet but I may take my first measurement in the next hour or so.

Cherry Hill Township has STILL not sent home their elementary school kids.  If I was a parent without the means to go get my kid (and thus forced to depend on some bus driver to get my child home through 6" of snow with more falling), I would have steam coming out of my ears right now. 

...and, no, that is not a dig at the bus drivers.  I have no doubt they are doing their absolute best.  This is directed at the administrators making these decisions. 

There looks to be a nice little blob of moisture getting itself together just south of DC and heading northeast.  If nothing else, that should give the Jersey Shore crowd something to crow about.... If we're lucky (and I am not just looking at the radar through weenie colored glasses... which is a real possibility), that might mark the beginnings of the CCB that will eventually get the moderate to heavy snow cranking again in the immediate Philly area, too. 

Most of models at this point kind of have the rest of the storm being light/mod precip, but could last until at least evening. 

Yeah, I'm kinda not impressed right now.  Think the death band probably already saw their heaviest snow.  Other areas could still do better than they have, especially south and east of the death band.  If we don't see anything nice on radar within another 2 hours, then hopes of another good band of heavy snow should dwindle fast.

Cherry Hill Township has STILL not sent home their elementary school kids.  If I was a parent without the means to go get my kid (and thus forced to depend on some bus driver to get my child home through 6" of snow with more falling), I would have steam coming out of my ears right now. 

...and, no, that is not a dig at the bus drivers.  I have no doubt they are doing their absolute best.  This is directed at the administrators making these decisions.

My mother (teaches at Beck Middle School) just got home and said that they were having bus issues there, too. Had to stay after a little longer and even when she left, one of the buses still hadn't arrived.

Yeah, I'm kinda not impressed right now.  Think the death band probably already saw their heaviest snow.  Other areas could still do better than they have, especially south and east of the death band.  If we don't see anything nice on radar within another 2 hours, then hopes of another good band of heavy snow should dwindle fast.

18z NAM does show moderate snow until around 7-730, tapering off to light/showers by 10 or so 

18z NAM does show moderate snow until around 7-730, tapering off to light/showers by 10 or so 

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its gonna be hardly snowing.  But the mega rates of the death band, which were touted as possibly continuing/redeveloping, dont' seem likely to me.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its gonna be hardly snowing.  But the mega rates of the death band, which were touted as possibly continuing/redeveloping, dont' seem likely to me.

Ray, take a look at the radar out of Dover, looks like the coastal is starting to get it's act together...I hope anyway :whistle:

Ray, take a look at the radar out of Dover, looks like the coastal is starting to get it's act together...I hope anyway :whistle:

That snow is nothing like what the death band saw.  The death band was 2+" an hour rates and it SAT there.  Dover radar shows nothing close to like that.

Here at Nj shore - nothing.... A small coating. Safe to assume that the storm here is a major bust.

I am not prepared to call it a "major bust" yet.  There is still a ton of moisture to the west.  We will probably be on the low side of the forecast, but I still think we will hit warning criteria.  Thoughts from anyone else?

Archived