Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/21 clipper/coastal

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think we have reach a consensus of a brush? Or a advisory type storm could be possible for all?

It is hard to say given the radical changes we are still seeing in the mid and upper levels of every model. The overall synoptic setup generally argues against a big/closer to the coast solution. 

850`s start at Minus 12 , end up close to Minus 20 as the precip is closing out , Surface temps are falling thru the teens .

At 500 MB at 12z  it still had a POS tilted trough going through  at 18z the trough tries to go NEG much faster .

Think  there could be some good snow growth , would just like to see

700 MB temps between  Minus 12 to Minus 18 ( thinks that's the better area to be in ) .

The NAM at 10 to 1 looks to be a 4 inch system from the City south and east , its printing out greater than 6 in AC

Think its 12 to 1 or 15 to 1  , close to what we averaged back in Jan with a similar profile

The NAM is not alone the GFS has come N, Im not putting the SREF in outside 36 hours .

Would always love to have the company of the Euro with these , but it may just have to play catch up , if the American models are right .

It is hard to say given the radical changes we are still seeing in the mid and upper levels of every model. The overall synoptic setup generally argues against a big/closer to the coast solution.

Agreed. These clipper systems never seem to blow up enough for the far N and W. But we win enough up here. Good for the coastal plain!

Any time you get the Polar Vortex into play, amazing things are possible.  The models hinted at this long ago.  Could it be that they are just coming back to what they saw previously?  Time will tell.  Interesting stuff.

Refreshing to see some real meteo and non model hugging. As a big trend guy I will say this comes closer to the coast as has been this winter so far. Without blocking suppression session has been kept down. I think this comes in closer for a last minute surprise

Several days ago I made a lengthy post about how the elongated polar vortex and the retrogression of the trough axis would eventually lead to threats here. I don't think this is the "big one" but the point is that even though it may seem mundane at times, these things pop up and create threats very often.

The forecast guidance is going to have trouble differentiating between individual perturbations within the upper level flow as well, within a very active pattern. No shortage of chances and no shortage of cold air over the next few weeks. Don't know where the complaints were coming from these past few days. 

850`s start at Minus 12 , end up close to Minus 20 as the precip is closing out , Surface temps are falling thru the teens .

At 500 MB at 12z  it still had a POS tilted trough going through  at 18z the trough tries to go NEG much faster .

700 MB temps between  Minus 12 to Minus 18 ( thinks that's the better area to be in ) .

The NAM at 10 to 1 looks to be a 4 inch system from the City south and east , its printing out greater than 6 in AC

Think its 12 to 1 or 15 to 1  , close to what we averaged back in Jan with a similar profile

The NAM is not alone the GFS has come N, Im not putting the SREF in outside 36 hours .

Would always love to have the company of the Euro with these , but it may just have to play catch up , if the American models are right .

The Euro ensemble mean was in play.  It is well NW of the operational run with the snow shield. 

I believe we are colder at upper levels this time by a bit anyway.  

What made people stand up and take notice was what happened yesterday in New England , that evolved  so fast that the

models were printing out awful BL 6 hours prior to the event and it went  from some innocuous little wave to dropping 6 to 10

inches in places within 36 hours of modeling   .

So these things are possible .

Upton has some snow showers for NYC - no big deal - I think this is the way to go right now

FPUS51 KOKX 192057
ZFPOKX

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
357 PM EST SUN JAN 19 2014

NYZ072-200915-
NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-
357 PM EST SUN JAN 19 2014

TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS
MAINLY IN THE
AFTERNOON. COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 20S. NORTH WINDS 10 TO
15 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT.
TUESDAY NIGHT
MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS
IN THE EVENING...THEN PARTLY CLOUDY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS AROUND
9 ABOVE. NORTH WINDS AROUND 15 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT. WIND
CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 7 BELOW AFTER MIDNIGHT.   

Someone west of I-287 in NJ could get some subsidence, gut feeling and this happened in 12/19/09 (using this as example for LP position)

This is one of those events where I have to just tip my cap to the coastal folks. These events make up for when interior is snow and coast is taint. I need about another 75 mile shift NW just to get in the steady stuff.

Archived