Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late January Arctic Attack II Thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who follow your traditional media outlets (TV, etc...) I have a feeling at least here in North Carolina that many of them will be lowering temps with tomorrow evening's news cycle.

I've noticed a good portion of the news outlets here in the mountains are going higher for mid week than what the last several GFS runs have shown.

Great break down Marion as always. Could see some below zero reading here in the mountains again.

Thanks... given how the model is playing catch-up, I feel pretty confident now that you guys with some elevation may see some below zero again. Probably some single digits on one or two mornings here in McDowell County. Maybe not as extreme as 2 weeks ago but if this keeps trending colder we could be heading back into that category.

Well, with the first shot of cold progged to come across the Southeast in the next 24-36 hours, all the global models have lined up pretty well. It's looking like we will have at least an 8-10 day run of temperatures significantly below normal for a large part of the region.

Shot #1 comes Wednesday, #2 on Friday/Saturday and a 3rd shot again on Monday...all three waves  should keep temps 10-20 degrees below normal region-wide with the largest departures focused in Tennessee, North Carolina, Northern 2/3rds of South Carolina and Northern half of Georgia. Those days in between the waves of cold will at best get your respective areas temps back to within 5 degrees of normal for late January.

Right now, there looks to be no extreme cold over a large area but the favored elevation dependent areas of the Carolinas, Tennessee and Georgia has a shot at getting close to zero once again.

With how the models have been very erratic this winter in trying to constantly change in the medium to long range, my confidence is high enough through about the 8 day range. But afterwards there remains a lot of questions...however I will say that the GFS may continue to cool itself as we go through the long range, hints of that are already be shown in today's runs.

GSP has 13 for MBY, but we usually get a few degrees colder, so maybe 9-10, we hit 3 on the last outbreak

3! Wow. I figured you guys to have been colder but didn't think you almost hit zero.

Speaking of the last event, my mom lives in the Tryon area and her koi pond froze over solid with the last event. First time that's occurred.

Looking at the morning data and now the 12z GFS, it seems to be honing in on Thursday and Friday being very cold for the I-40 corridor in North Carolina. High's both days in the mid 20's (mountains, northern foothills and Triad) to around 30 in Charlotte and maybe above freezing I-95 and east. Widespread teens on Thursday morning across all of North Carolina and starting to see single digits (7-9 above) showing up for the Western half of North Carolina for Friday morning.

This is going to be a pretty significant arctic outbreak...one thing of concern to me is that since we won't be seeing below zero temps and widespread single digits like we did 2 weeks ago, that some are taking this as being  "run of the mill cold" which this by no means is average sustained cold for the Upper Southeast standards. Folks have to remember that 2 weeks ago was roughly a 36 hour event that provided the type of airmass that you see maybe once every 25 years...what's coming this week while technically not as cold at one single point is still nothing to sneeze at. As I mentioned when this thread started, longevity of this cold will be the bigger story that comes out of this.

EDIT: BTW, do you remember on Sunday how the GFS said we would be moderating by early next week? haha! lookie that what we have here just prior to truncation...

gfs_t2m_east_65.png

I was thinking that it's kind of funny that there isn't more talk about the upcoming cold but I understand why.  Any other year it would be big news but in light of the blast we had a few weeks ago this is nothing.  Still, the GFS shows me with a day in the 20s and another around 30 with lows around 12 and 15.  I would be willing to bet that I hit single digits on one of those nights if trends keep up. 

I was thinking that it's kind of funny that there isn't more talk about the upcoming cold but I understand why.  Any other year it would be big news but in light of the blast we had a few weeks ago this is nothing.  Still, the GFS shows me with a day in the 20s and another around 30 with lows around 12 and 15.  I would be willing to bet that I hit single digits on one of those nights if trends keep up. 

With the hour 192 map I posted and given the average model error 8 days out, it wouldn't take a whole lot to get the SoApps Region and North Georgia into some of that serious cold.

Looking at tonight's model data, namely the 0z GFS, Friday morning looks to provide a lot of single digits for the Western 3rd of North Carolina, Upstate SC and Northeast GA...and areas of elevation could fall below zero.

Looking at data aloft, 850's are going to run in excess of -20 across parts of the Upper Southeast US. One has to wonder with how local gov't entities handled the arctic chill 2 weeks ago, we may see a lot of the public education jurisdictions impliment a cold weather delay policy on Friday.

Areas outside of the specific region mentioned will also feel the effects of this second outbreak but as of right now it looks like the worst weather will be centered in the Southern Appalachians.

This is only going to be start of an extended period of much below temps...I hope for everyone they have all their plumbing fixtures secured and all sources of heating in working condition.

NWS RAH was advertising what they referred to as temperatures crashing earlier yesterday. We dropped 8 degrees in a half hour at 3:30, but not sure that was more than a fender bender. At 4 we began a slow drift to where we are now at 25.9 from the 37 at 4. Was this what everyone expected? I look at crashing as something more serious.

Missed the projected low in charlotte by 8 degrees.

Yeah, 5 degrees warmer than projected IMBY.

However, I must say that the 06Z GFS is once again downright frigid.  According to it, Hickory doesn't make it out of the 20s until Saturday afternoon!  Single digit lows are likely again Thursday night.  I get a brief "warm-up" to low 40s on Saturday,Sunday and Monday, followed by another three-day, sub-freezing streak from Tuesday through Friday.  The projected high on Tuesday is 20!  20!

Fantasy snow is also in the forecast, just after truncation.

Almost the exact same post with the projected temp IMBY.

The 6gfs keeps me below 32 until Saturday evening were is it shows upper 40's.

Yeah, 5 degrees warmer than projected IMBY.

However, I must say that the 06Z GFS is once again downright frigid.  According to it, Hickory doesn't make it out of the 20s until Saturday afternoon!  Single digit lows are likely again Thursday night.  I get a brief "warm-up" to low 40s on Saturday,Sunday and Monday, followed by another three-day, sub-freezing streak from Tuesday through Friday.  The projected high on Tuesday is 20!  20!

Fantasy snow is also in the forecast, just after truncation.

Archived