Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late January Arctic Attack II Thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you flying on that new airline thats out of JQF? 

/banter

Man I'm sleep deprived for sure... I meant to type where I live here in Concord. I haven't flown out of JQF yet but have flown Allegion before, pretty excited I can drive 3 miles to JQF and hop on a cheap flight to Orlando now. Will be taking advantage of that a good bit I think.

Sorry for the banter!

CAE.....  :wub:

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC
0520 PM EST SAT JAN 25 2014

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE FOR DATE SET AT COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT
SC...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE FOR THE DATE OF 11 DEGREES WAS SET AT
COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT SC TODAY JANUARY 25TH. THIS BREAKS THE OLD
RECORD OF 14 SET IN 1963.

DAILY TEMPERATURE RECORDS IN THE COLUMBIA AREA DATE BACK TO 1887.

I am just amazed at the television people and how they come across some of these numbers that are printed on the air...

For example the morons in Asheville who will remain nameless says it will be 56 degrees on Saturday, 60's in Upper South Carolina and that the blowtorch is on.

Web_7_Day_full.JPG

Now...can somebody show me the mid 50's and lower 60's on the model data for Saturday? :facepalm:

gfs_t2m_east_39.png

Now...anybody with the least bit of knowledge knows that arctic air does not erode immediately. And second, how about those who will still have some snowpack this weekend? And this isn't just an issue for my DMA, I'm sure we got TV Mets in Raleigh, Greenville (NC), Florence/MB, etc...that are doing the same thing.

I am just amazed at the television people and how they come across some of these numbers that are printed on the air...

For example the morons in Asheville who will remain nameless says it will be 56 degrees on Saturday, 60's in Upper South Carolina and that the blowtorch is on.

Web_7_Day_full.JPG

Now...can somebody show me the mid 50's and lower 60's on the model data for Saturday? :facepalm:

gfs_t2m_east_39.png

Now...anybody with the least bit of knowledge knows that arctic air does not erode immediately. And second, how about those who will still have some snowpack this weekend? And this isn't just an issue for my DMA, I'm sure we got TV Mets in Raleigh, Greenville (NC), Florence/MB, etc...that are doing the same thing.

Ya I get pretty vocal watching WLOS and there ho hum forecasts.

So any idea how cold it may get downeast tonight?

I could totally see it warming up quick around here. Won't take much to melt off the 1" of snow we got here especially since it's so dry.

With the cold temps, even though you are under full sun, the snow will less likely to melt per say. Instead, especially with how dry it is, you'll lose it to sublimation. We haven't been above freezing in a week it seems up here in Ohio but the dry snow is slowly eroding away due it going from straight from a solid to a gas form via sublimation.

With the cold temps, even though you are under full sun, the snow will less likely to melt per say. Instead, especially with how dry it is, you'll lose it to sublimation. We haven't been above freezing in a week it seems up here in Ohio but the dry snow is slowly eroding away due it going from straight from a solid to a gas form via sublimation.

Thanks for the explanation.  We rcvd about an 1.5", and it's virtually melted off the roads despite being in the mid twenties.

I hope we have enough on the ground to get us into the single digits!

I'm interested in what some of the low temps will be tonight across the Carolinas and into Georgia and Alabama. A lot of the mountains in North Carolina were in the single digits this morning, gotta think we will see those spill east and just south of the Apps.

I had 9.8 this morning. 23 with dp 1 now, gonna be ccold in the morning!

Widespread single digits across North Georgia and nearly all of North Carolina except Charlotte and the Southeast corner of the state, also plenty of sub zero in the mountains.

I gotta believe there are a few sprinkled in NW South Carolina as well...and we have still possibly 3 more hours before they bottom out...

Currently 8 degrees...which is morning #4 of the winter with single digits. I usually have one single digit low every-other winter.

Let me throw this bit of food out there for thought on what looks to be the coldest morning of winter 2013-14...

This morning's widespread single digit lows are occuring under a blanket of 850's that range from -7 to -9. For comparison the record breaking lows of early in the month were the result of 850's in the -24 to -26 range that were advected into the region.

This morning is the #1 prime example of perfect radiational cooling over what really is a modest snow pack.

EDIT: Official low dropped to 7 degrees just prior to 7 am.

Archived