joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 31-January 2 Hybrid frisbee storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was mentioned in the other thread but you would think a higher res model like the NAM would do better picking up on the banding in a setup like this.  Maybe it's a bit overdone but it should probably be given some respect.

This is the key. Euro is probably pretty good for the broadbrush amounts, but the individual banding will be picked up my better by the high resolution models. 

Just catching up on everything....LE effect signal looks very strong so MKX should eventually have a headline for that. 00z models soundings on the NAM and GFS both had inversion heights approaching 700mb and some decent negative omega in the DGZ although it looks like the 12z models backed-off just a little bit.

Even though we are riding the northern edge of the heavier snow, the GFS shows a 400mb deep DGZ from 00z WED to 00z THU. Ratios look like the could be in the 20-25:1 range.

Just catching up on everything....LE effect signal looks very strong so MKX should eventually have a headline for that. 00z models soundings on the NAM and GFS both had inversion heights approaching 700mb and some decent negative omega in the DGZ although it looks like the 12z models backed-off just a little bit.

Even though we are riding the northern edge of the heavier snow, the GFS shows a 400mb deep DGZ from 00z WED to 00z THU. Ratios look like the could be in the 20-25:1 range.

That's what I was just thinking they should do next.

16z HRRR - full range.

hrrr_t_precip_michigan_16.png

once it starts it could be snowing at ORD for 36 hrs(including tail end lake effect)

if they average just .3 inches per hour that's 10.8 inches..of course some rates within that span could be .1/hr some 1+in/hr in LES

long fluffy duration events in light winds(dendrites don't get broken up) usually over perform 

This is the key. Euro is probably pretty good for the broadbrush amounts, but the individual banding will be picked up my better by the high resolution models. 

I appreciate you posting your thoughts here.

Here is IWX's map for total accumulation for both waves in their CWA. It looks rather 12:1 - 15:1 Euroish.

As extreme states, banding could result in higher amounts, especial along the IN/MI line.

Archived