• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern discussion, part II

Typhoon Tip

I know the PNA going positive and EPO going negative again may be bringing some downright frigid temps to the Northeast. Looking at the PNA spike that should alone allow for a more conducive setup along the east coast with the -EPO providing the cold air. Theoretically if this were to happen one would have to look at the threat of the strongly positive NAO spoiling the party. Just lots of variables to consider now through this weekend. Lots of weenies dreams realized or shattered

Things are looking good going forward.  Just need to get through this little grinch warmup blip through Monday...then we could be in store for plenty of chances with cold around.  Can't ask for more than that.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAO alone wouldn't spoil the part, it just doesn't help having it positive.

Really, all it does is render the situation a bit more precarios right at the beaches, and greatly reduce the odds of a KU-juggernaut; however it doesn't really lower seasonal snowfall potential all that much at this latitude.

40N and points south has the season significantly impaired, sure.

Really, all it does is render the situation a bit more precarios right at the beaches, and greatly reduce the odds of a KU-juggernaut; however it doesn't really lower seasonal snowfall potential all that much at this latitude.

40N and points south has the season significantly impaired, sure.

Sure, but given the right setup, we could still get a KU, we got one in January 2005 with a positive NAO, 30 hours of snow with that storm, because at h5 we closed off at the right moment slowing down the movement of the surface low redevelopment.  I think with the GGEM we see the same thing.

Sure, but given the right setup, we could still get a KU, we got one in January 2005 with a positive NAO, 30 hours of snow with that storm, because at h5 we closed off at the right moment slowing down the movement of the surface low redevelopment.  I think with the GGEM we see the same thing.

I think in 2005 it was the modality of the NAO that did the deed....the NAO was on the rise.

I'm not sure, though....maybe lying.

Anyhow, two entirely different seasons....2005 had a weak el Nino, weak QBO, and there was plenty of blocking.

This season is characterized by a fast flow, a la 2007 and 2008.

I think in 2005 it was the modality of the NAO that did the deed....the NAO was on the rise.

I'm not sure, though....maybe lying.

Anyhow, two entirely different seasons....2005 had a weak el Nino, weak QBO, and there was plenty of blocking.

This season is characterized by a fast flow, a la 2007 and 2008.

I think 2005 was still neutral, like this season is, but you are right this season has a much faster flow aloft.

on cape cod, ma??

January 2005 averaged slightly negative, this season is very much positive thus far...

How anyone describes this season as neutral is confusing to me.

And the AO, well that is lets just say...elevated.

Im impressed w Riccardo and his OPI /AO stuff and know that Cohen is working w them u know its the real deal (legit) work. (The OPI stuff)

The AO modality this season was a lock + and was foreseen by many. The question is more Feb into Mach.

It will be interesting to me how cold we end up overall in the CONUS despite a big +AO. I think the AO will average out solidly positive. There's been a few winters that ended up cold in the CONUS despite the +AO....the most notable ones being 1988-1989 which was the most positive AO on record, yet was the 48th coldest winter out of 118 on record. 1992-1993 was the 2nd most positive AO on record and yet was the 25th coldest winter on record for the CONUS.

If we drop the AO some in the 2nd half of winter, then we might not see a hugely positive AO for the winter as a whole like those years. It might be more mundanely positive like 2007-2008 or 1998-1999.

It will be interesting to me how cold we end up overall in the CONUS despite a big +AO. I think the AO will average out solidly positive. There's been a few winters that ended up cold in the CONUS despite the +AO....the most notable ones being 1988-1989 which was the most positive AO on record, yet was the 48th coldest winter out of 118 on record. 1992-1993 was the 2nd most positive AO on record and yet was the 25th coldest winter on record for the CONUS.

If we drop the AO some in the 2nd half of winter, then we might not see a hugely positive AO for the winter as a whole like those years. It might be more mundanely positive like 2007-2008 or 1998-1999.

Didn't 97-98 have one of the lowest AOs on record for a winter?  Interesting that 09-10 had a very low one too and both were fairly strong El Ninos.

It's definitely going to be all about the Pacific which means we may have nail biters from time to time. Hopefully models are right with keeping that 50mb vortex disturbed and on our side of the globe. 

Archived