joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern discussion, part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This year has the look of a winter that will produce a storm or two that will surprise lots of us. We have decent looking pattern with the -EPO and what looks like a pacific with more ridging in the medium/ long range +PNA. If we can get even some transient blocking or 50/50 low timed at the right time with a shortwave and arctic high we'll be in business. Atleast this isnt a clunker of a winter.... So far

No surprise there. I think the next 3 weeks could well tell the tale for this winter. The positive AO/NAO has always concerned me even with the cold and snowy start to winter.

There are three full months of winter left, and then some for far inland and higher elevation areas. A lot can happen in that time. Even if the next month is warm and dry there is still plenty of time to recover a good snow season. It's rarely going to be cold and snowy wire to wire in SNE, so you have to temper your expectations with climatology.

1994 had that big ridge anomaly north of AK. If that does not happen, do not use 1994. If it does happen, feel free...but I hate that analog being thrown around like candy. That's like saying every closed off low south of LI is December 1992.

Like the 96' analog being thrown around during snowstorms that faintly resemble it? Lol thats good for a few times a year in a good winter

I've never seen such a deep snowpack just give in at will to a weak advancing warm front in winter..Just no fight at all..even with a cold high. That really surprised me. I though most of SNE could still cool/sector until fropa Sunday night. 

if this was April we'd be 38 and fogged in with sheet drizzle and the front would never make it..yet in Dec a few days before Christmas..the warm air has no problem flooding into parts of NNE

I've never seen such a deep snowpack just give in at will to a weak advancing warm front in winter..Just no fight at all..even with a cold high. That really surprised me. I though most of SNE could still cool/sector until fropa Sunday night. 

As I said, a strong s/w doesn't give a phuck about snowpack. 

if this was April we'd be 38 and fogged in with sheet drizzle and the front would never make it..yet in Dec a few days before Christmas..the warm air has no problem flooding into parts of NNE

Forky ftw?

I think winter is almost always dicey for those of us who want constant cold and snow.  But the big picture at least for New england (not so much for forkyville) continues to look good with ridging out west/epac, a fairly active southern stream,  the vortex on our side (and coming south?), and the possibility of the AO going negative in early Jan.  if the AO goes negative I'd bet we get some -NAO action for a little bit and that would help our friends and admirers south of here.  In the relaxations it might rain or ice...like this weekend.  

Archived