amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 19-20th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ended up with an advisoy for this event. expecting 3-6" by days end.  nice to see a wetter snow!

* THROUGH MORNING: LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE...WITH PERIODS OF
   MODERATE SNOW.

* LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO THIS AFTERNOON...BUT
   TAPER OFF LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY THIS EVENING. BRIEF
   PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW ARE POSSIBLE...WITH VISIBILITIES A HALF
   OF A MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 3 TO 6 INCHES IS EXPECTED BY THIS EVENING.

ended up with an advisoy for this event. expecting 3-6" by days end.  nice to see a wetter snow!

* THROUGH MORNING: LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE...WITH PERIODS OF

MODERATE SNOW.

* LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO THIS AFTERNOON...BUT

TAPER OFF LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY THIS EVENING. BRIEF

PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW ARE POSSIBLE...WITH VISIBILITIES A HALF

OF A MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 3 TO 6 INCHES IS EXPECTED BY THIS EVENING.

The one thing that used to make me laugh in the Keweenaw when is the effect of a heavy wet snow on all the LES.  We would have 36" snow depth and then get 6-8" heavy wet snow and then the snow depth would be still be 36" after the storm.  The nice part was that 36" became a solid snow pack that you could X-county ski on top of!!

The one thing that used to make me laugh in the Keweenaw when is the effect of a heavy wet snow on all the LES. We would have 36" snow depth and then get 6-8" heavy wet snow and then the snow depth would be still be 36" after the storm. The nice part was that 36" became a solid snow pack that you could X-county ski on top of!!

The lake snow here has pretty much settled into 15-18". I noticed the last 2 days the depth hasn't changed much at all. So far have had 2.8" of new snow overnight/ this morning. Def a different texture but not super wet since it is 19 out still. Near perfect riding conditions right now. Sundays snow will be the icing. If I could lock in the 6z gfs I'd be a happy soul! By Christmas 2' depth maybe??

The lake snow here has pretty much settled into 15-18". I noticed the last 2 days the depth hasn't changed much at all. So far have had 2.8" of new snow overnight/ this morning. Def a different texture but not super wet since it is 19 out still. Near perfect riding conditions right now. Sundays snow will be the icing. If I could lock in the 6z gfs I'd be a happy soul! By Christmas 2' depth maybe??

Enjoy!!!  I think my last thread for this storm is going to be cut off by today's 12Z run.  6Z NAM/GFS/GEM all slightly west of 0Z this is usually a bad sign for the upcoming 12Z.  Like I have said elsewhere the nice thing is I am not surprised and have been expecting this result for the past 2+ days now.  Glad the storm is going to hit my snow vacation spot!!!  Boyne trips are coming!!

YYZ

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?StationID=51459

YKZ

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?StationID=4841

The nipher is a fail.  :axe:

YYZ with the remaining 12-14cm will still be a good 7-9cm behind YKZ which is common every winter.  :lmao:

YorkU only reported 12.5 cm from last weekend's event, and they actually have humans measure it properly, so I'm not sure Pearson's numbers are all that terrible from that event.

YorkU only reported 12.5 cm from last weekend's event, and they actually have humans measure it properly, so I'm not sure Pearson's numbers are all that terrible.

YorkU has a wx obs. station? Didn't know that.

They completely whiffed on the LES band and still ended up with slightly more than Pearson. So I do think the nipher played a small part in the that.

I've got Pearson's number in my sig only because the downtown number seem to updating in 10 day blocks this winter.

YorkU has a wx obs. station? Didn't know that.

They completely whiffed on the LES band and still ended up with slightly more than Pearson. So I do think the nipher played a small part in the that.

I've got Pearson's number in my sig only because the downtown number seem to updating in 10 day blocks this winter.

I'm not sure YYZ has the most accurate number, but I don't think it's "ridiculous" or worth all the fuss. Who cares about the snow depth at the airport. I sure don't.

York doesn't have an official one. The atmospheric science department casually does it during some events, not always. Went up there and chatted with some folks.

I'm not sure YYZ has the most accurate number, but I don't think it's "ridiculous" or worth all the fuss. Who cares about the snow depth at the airport. I sure don't.

York doesn't have an official one. The atmospheric science department casually does it during some events, not always. Went up there and chatted with some folks.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Just got back from the bar. A trace of snow has fallen down here by the lakeshore. It is a more misty/very wet snow falling currently.  To be honest I am surprised that theres even a trace. Looking forward to this weekend  and what it has in store

Any chance you were on the 1:30 GO bus from Union? haha.

Was nice to see some snow last night, despite how wet it was. Around midnight downtown it was a rain/snow mix, occaisionally transitioning to full snow (but very wet) at time. Came home to Oakville and there was a solid coating of ice pellets on the ground.

Drizzle now.

Just plain rain where I am now in Markham, just north of Toronto. Looks like the temperatures are overperforming. Might not get ice out of today's event after all. Perhaps a sign for tomorrow's bigger storm?

What's your temperature there? Forecast originally had rain in the afternoon, ZR for the morning and evening so that could still verify.

Just plain rain where I am now in Markham, just north of Toronto. Looks like the temperatures are overperforming. Might not get ice out of today's event after all. Perhaps a sign for tomorrow's bigger storm?

Temperatures have been steady around 0C, for the past few hours so I dont see any over performance thus far.

It may transition over to ZR later in the afternoon as temperatures cool.

Temperatures have been steady around 0C, for the past few hours so I dont see any over performance thus far.

It may transition over to ZR later in the afternoon as temperatures cool.

Agree, yeah not sure on the degree of over performance. A few days ago the forecast high was 3C and that's been steadily trending down.

Agree, yeah not sure on the degree of over performance. A few days ago the forecast high was 3C and that's been steadily trending down.

Current temperature is +0.4 Celsius at home in north Scarborough.

Yeah its currently +0.2C on my thermometer. I lost about 2cm since yesterday :( And yeah hopefully we can transition into ZR/PR later in the day as temperatures cool. The surface temperatures thus far aren't the issue. Its the layer of warmth around 850mb and 925mb that is creating such hideous conditions. We need to cool the lower tropospheric temperatures just a bit. The snow cover is however, retaining SFC temperatures. Once the HP across the North moves a bit further East later today, winds will shift out of the NE/ENE. 

^And SSC, in my area currently its freezing rain mixed in with rain. Messy day. The dusting of snow from last night is still intact on the surface, lol. 

Friend texted me with a report of a widespread power outage in Mississauga. From the reports you guys are giving it doesn't appear likely that's due to FZRA.

Wow maybe some localized pockets of freezing rain where some cold has pooled? YYZ currently reporting 32.2/30.4 so it wouldn't take much to get below freezing.

There were some smaller power outages in Toronto last night as well (heard 1,200 customers out). Ominous start to the weekend?

Archived