joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 17th Clipper Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a look at the 6z GFS. Each run for the last 5 runs has ticked up .15-.20" qfp. Crazy trend, hard to believe. At this rate the 12z will be close to 1" in much of EMA. Tough call, this kind of reminds me of the Dec 2007(or 2008 can't remember?) bomb, that snuck up on us creating the worste rush hour traffic I've ever seen in the city, took me 7 hours to go 30 miles.

12/13/07 was a SWFE.

Don't know if it was mentioned...HRRR cut back a bit in western areas. Some of that due to what's fallen already...but it had quite a bit of CT in the 4-6" range...now has 2-3" north with 3-4" south. Pretty much in line with forecasts, but definitely gets rid of the idea of keeping precip hanging around with the secondary.

12/13/07 was a SWFE.

I should have stated not from a synoptic level. Just the timing of a heavy burst of snow, around the rush hour commute and it was a cold snow, fluff bomb. It was only 8-10" genearlly but it was a monster on traffic, seemed like it surprised everyone. I get the same feeling with this one.

You drive in to work in the morning, it's sunny, the forecast is 2-4", not really talking much about PM thump. If it turns out the GFS is right, It's 6-10" around the city and a completely different story at rush hour. That was the similarity I was speaking too. Set up is very much different.

Wow the radar looks awful back this way. 

Yes...but to be fair...the overnight runs of the models did key in on lighter precip in the AM...with the best rates really beginning mid-day into the afternoon. So I'm not all that surprised things are looking a bit broken at the moment. I suspect we'll see a bit of a lull for a bit but then things will come together for a second thump later...especially for the east half of the state.

The 13z RAP has pretty intense snows for central/eastern areas late this afternoon and evening.

We'll have to see how it evolves. I'm not convinced yet. The interference at 5H going on is really preventing this thing from being a classic LI mini-nuke.

I don't know at much closer look...it looks to me like the GFS may have been too far west with that first lobe of vorticity...as a result it hung the surface low around longer....it looks to me like it does get a little further east, more like last nights Euro...or at least closer to it.

The first pulse later today is probably the main deal, whatever lingers tonight....and there could still be some surprise bands may be more limited to eastern and northeastern extremes.

I don't know at much closer look...it looks to me like the GFS may have been too far west with that first lobe of vorticity...as a result it hung the surface low around longer....it looks to me like it does get a little further east, more like last nights Euro...or at least closer to it.

The first pulse later today is probably the main deal, whatever lingers tonight....and there could still be some surprise bands may be more limited to eastern and northeastern extremes.

Yep, the deeper 2nd shortwave never really had a chance with the front running stuff. One reason why I kept wishing the front running wave to disappear...but that wasn't happening this close in. Should still see some decent bursts later on though as the vortmax currently in PA swings through.

Yep, the deeper 2nd shortwave never really had a chance with the front running stuff. One reason why I kept wishing the front running wave to disappear...but that wasn't happening this close in. Should still see some decent bursts later on though as the vortmax currently in PA swings through.

Only way it could have evolved was a slower first system that was much weaker that basically stirred up some moisture but didn't escape.  Could still happen.  Odd situation for sure.

I think Will it's like all of these...GFS is usually overdone but the others come towards it.  What we'll have is leftover precip in eastern areas overnight.

Only way it could have evolved was a slower first system that was much weaker that basically stirred up some moisture but didn't escape.  Could still happen.  Odd situation for sure.

I think Will it's like all of these...GFS is usually overdone but the others come towards it.  What we'll have is leftover precip in eastern areas overnight.

They'll be some leftover precip..probably low level type stuff..but unless the 12z GFS comes in stronger...I think we'll see it tone down from earlier runs. More in line with other guidance.

They'll be some leftover precip..probably low level type stuff..but unless the 12z GFS comes in stronger...I think we'll see it tone down from earlier runs. More in line with other guidance.

I wonder how it managed to botch that s/w over successive runs.  Even the RGEM did it overnight.

In the end...same thing happened that always happens.  GFS overdid it.   3-4 runs ago the Euro was basically nothing.  GFS had the right idea then but went overboard.  In the end like always the GFS adjusts last minute towards the remaining models.

NAM did pretty well it seems.

I wonder how it managed to botch that s/w over successive runs.  Even the RGEM did it overnight.

In the end...same thing happened that always happens.  GFS overdid it.   3-4 runs ago the Euro was basically nothing.  GFS had the right idea then but went overboard.  In the end like always the GFS adjusts last minute towards the remaining models.

NAM did pretty well it seems.

That's not really true. I think it had one run where it only gave about 2" of snow to eastern areas...but its been pretty consistent with this being an advisory type snow...literally going back maybe 6-7 days now. It has sharpened the 2nd shortwave on successive runs but it never waivered from the idea that this system would be primarily a front-running deal.

Archived