• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Carvers Gap

Believe your wrong here.The MJO on the GFS ens. Has been stuck on 7,that has nothing to do with other than seasonal weather for us.

I am trying to follow your thinking. What exactly are we disagreeing about? I am fully aware of the MJO and its consequences...I think what most are saying is models are inconsistent in a new pattern. No one mentioned the MJO.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am trying to follow your thinking. What exactly are we disagreeing about? I am fully aware of the MJO and its consequences...I think what most are saying is models are inconsistent in a new pattern. No one mentioned the MJO.

I'm just saying everyone is screaming a artic outbreak,not sure where it's coming from

I'm just saying everyone is screaming a artic outbreak,not sure where it's coming from

We have established plenty of evidence for below normal temps for early Jan and some to the contrary. Who said an Arctic outbreak was imminent? There is a huge difference between that and run of the mill below normal temps. Ease up and just enjoy the discussion.

We have established plenty of evidence for below normal temps for early Jan and some to the contrary. Who said an Arctic outbreak was imminent? There is a huge difference between that and run of the mill below normal temps. Ease up and just enjoy the discussion.

Yeah, not sure where he is getting the Arctic outbreak from.

Really nice west coast ridging on the 0z GFS tonight at 180. It's crazy to see the impulse we are ALL watching just stay out west for days....... but it does make sense if you look at 500. It's further east initially than 18z, but a diving shortwave ends up pinching it off from the flow. Hope when it does kick east, we have enough cold air for someone (TN Valley) to work with. It simply shears it to oblivion on the 0z.....and that's different. Merry Christmas all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really nice west coast ridging on the 0z GFS tonight at 180. It's crazy to see the impulse we are ALL watching just stay out west for days....... but it does make sense if you look at 500. It's further east initially than 18z, but a diving shortwave ends up pinching it off from the flow. Hope when it does kick east, we have enough cold air for someone (TN Valley) to work with. It simply shears it to oblivion on the 0z.....and that's different. Merry Christmas all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hr 114 on the 0z GFS is pretty interesting. Might not have any cold air to work with, but if that spins up...nothing on the models will be correct until that feature is handled. It has my interest for sure. Overall, the GFS continues to hold serve on the cold and winter wx potential.

Thanks for keeping up the good posts folks!  I've only had time to sneak a peek here and there the last couple of days since we've been bombarded by family.  :axe:

From what I can tell, the pattern still looks like it holds good potential.  We all should be accustom to model flip-floppage by now so no use in getting worked up about it if a few runs don't look perfect.  If/when we do have something to track, I'd be surprised if we have more than 4 or 5 days warning from the models.  Seems like they've been in cluster mode here lately..

Merry Christmas to All!   :santa:  

Speaking of Arctic outbreaks. Well, the 0z Euro at 240 is pretty amazing. Highly doubtful the extreme cold verifies due to the fact it is ten days away. But looks like the seasonal to below normal cold is still very much on the table. Hr 120 is warm but that feature is going to have an impact on the upcoming depth of the trough. The pattern is everything. Going to be a trough in the East. Southern jet is active. I will take that pattern all day long.

GFS at 240. I know it's outside the high resolution range and it's also got a cold bias. But even moderated, this would still be frigid and it's not like it hasn't been showing this regularly either. It was showing it in the 300+ range a few days ago.

Goodness! What a map. The CPC ensembles are interesting. The NAO is only neutral. The AO appears to go strongly negative but there is some dissent within the ensemble. The PNA will go positive for a time. I am not sure that once all of today's data is factored in the NAO won't be more negative tomorrow in the long run. Based on those indices alone....looks like we will get cold but not extreme and then it leaves after 8-10 days. Looks like a good two week shot of winter at the best time climo speaking for cold. I would look for a storm to start the pattern and one to end it.

Goodness! What a map. The CPC ensembles are interesting. The NAO is only neutral. The AO appears to go strongly negative but there is some dissent within the ensemble. The PNA will go positive for a time. I am not sure that once all of today's data is factored in the NAO won't be more negative tomorrow in the long run. Based on those indices alone....looks like we will get cold but not extreme and then it leaves after 8-10 days. Looks like a good two week shot of winter at the best time climo speaking for cold. I would look for a storm to start the pattern and one to end it.

That is impressive

Although we've gotten the small chance side of it a few times the last two years, there's around an 89% correlation between a -AO and a -NAO.

Sorry about the rant last night,believe i had one 2 many :ee:

Sorry about the rant last night,believe i had one 2 many :ee:

We are good. No sweat. Merry Christmas and let's hope the GFS and Euro come to pass. The 12z looked pretty good again in the long run. The 120 hr time frame is getting very interesting, though still warm.

Well, the Euro looks less cold(relatively speaking...not historic) and more eastward with its trough.  Until that slp feature rolls through at 120 no way the models have the pattern nailed.  Without Atlantic blocking, going to be tough to drive that cold as far south as the 0z.  As Jaxjagman pointed out, the 0z seems colder and the 12z seems warmer.  Been going on for a few days.  I have noticed that myself.  And that feature at 120 is still interesting.  Looks too warm, but it may make a run at being a significant storm at least for folks to our north. 

Archived