Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Carvers Gap

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro esm went into crap mode.Took away the Christmas after,drizzle or light snow even took away the trough for new years :axe: But i believe it doesnt have a handle right in the SW.

Hard to tell. The Euro isn't what it once was, but betting against it is usually bad for my health. Could be a hiccup. The 18z GFS was less amplified with the trough as well. I would stick with the pattern which would suggest a PNA ridge and downstream E coast trough. That said, until the Atlantic cooperates, we have problems. Enjoy the weather, I would guess 70s won't be back until April.

Hard to tell. The Euro isn't what it once was, but betting against it is usually bad for my health. Could be a hiccup. The 18z GFS was less amplified with the trough as well. I would stick with the pattern which would suggest a PNA ridge and downstream E coast trough. That said, until the Atlantic cooperates, we have problems. Enjoy the weather, I would guess 70s won't be back until April.

Euro and GFS both took away the after christmas flakes,but that was a weak system anyways.Still believe to watch where this system ends up at Sunday,we'll set the pattern up then..JMHO

Euro and GFS both took away the after christmas flakes,but that was a weak system anyways.Still believe to watch where this system ends up at Sunday,we'll set the pattern up then..JMHO

I think probably that both models have trouble, especially during winter, of being able to see the finer detals.  They can simulate where SWs will be, but have real difficulty in being able to simulate interactions(phasing).  Until the new pattern really locks-in, the wx models will have trouble.  Other than a true GOM system, I look for an elongated trough...seems to be what really produces for the TN Valley.  The "new" pattern has this feature, but cold availability will be the issue I think.

12z GFS has snow on a cold front passage on 12/30. Features will change a lot as the models don't really have the pattern handled well yet IMO. Still, an interesting feature as cold front snow is unusual most winters here. I have a few memorable ones, but just a few.

Edit: Nice run through 264 for those who enjoy winter.

12z GFS has snow on a cold front passage on 12/30. Features will change a lot as the models don't really have the pattern handled well yet IMO. Still, an interesting feature as cold front snow is unusual most winters here. I have a few memorable ones, but just a few.

Didn't think they looked that bad either,and like twn said above you the esm. were good also.

When the CPC ensemble PNA, NAO, and AO go positive, negative, negative respectively....that usually spells winter east of the Mississippi.  By no means do I think the long range GFS is correct on the attached feature, but it does show that the models are catching on to a cold, winter pattern ahead.  Also, the 12z Euro looked good.  Anyone mind posting it?  Just need it for the pattern.

(Edited 5:32 PM, 12/22)

NAO

post-769-0-00417900-1387751251_thumb.jpg

AO

post-769-0-51389000-1387751250_thumb.jpg

PNA

post-769-0-99145600-1387751249_thumb.jpg

12z 12-22-13 GFS(shows pattern recognition by wx model, not necessarily the actual event)

post-769-0-81783400-1387751240_thumb.jpg

Might not work out...but I'll take all four images all day long.

Robert (WxSouth.com) has a good write up in his extended outlook and shows where most of the TN valley has a much increased chance of winter weather toward the end of Dec and Early January.

I don't always agree with him, but he is really good at his craft. It's also only 10.00 a month. If you want to be kept in the loop with upcoming weather, patterns, and individual storms I highly recommend him.

I also tend to agree with him on this matter. Winter opportunity is likely on its way.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert (WxSouth.com) has a good write up in his extended outlook and shows where most of the TN valley has a much increased chance of winter weather toward the end of Dec and Early January.

I don't always agree with him, but he is really good at his craft. It's also only 10.00 a month. If you want to be kept in the loop with upcoming weather, patterns, and individual storms I highly recommend him.

I also tend to agree with him on this matter. Winter opportunity is likely on its way.......

Read it.  He sounded somewhat "iffy" on late January.  I wonder if the next three weeks are our shot at winter.  CPC looks like they are going warm February onward.  We'll see.

I think it's important to note that with no strong blocking showing in the upcoming Atlantic configuration, most any storm will likely be further north than modeled from 3-5 days out. I have been watching each storm this fall and winter and this has been happening with regularity. (Ask Chicago how their big storm just turned out after all was said and done)

Granted we haven't had ANY blocking to this point, but unless the blocking that develops is moderate to strong, the SE ridge (even though muted a bit) will likely affect any storm by sending them a little further north and west than forecast. If anything that comes along looks like its going to miss south, I would watch it like a hawk........lol

I think it's important to note that with no strong blocking showing in the upcoming Atlantic configuration, most any storm will likely be further north than modeled from 3-5 days out. I have been watching each storm this fall and winter and this has been happening with regularity. (Ask Chicago how their big storm just turned out after all was said and done)

Granted we haven't had ANY blocking to this point, but unless the blocking that develops is moderate to strong, the SE ridge (even though muted a bit) will likely affect any storm by sending them a little further north and west than forecast. If anything that comes along looks like its going to miss south, I would watch it like a hawk........lol

I Agree I would think that any storm modeled right now would be a bit north...that's a great point

Here's hoping the epo goes back negative and helps split that polar vortex, the end of the year is starting to get me excited. At least the models are trending in a good direction.

Keep posting. The more diversity in our region, the better off we will be. You help represent middle TN. Everyone who posts some, I strongly encourage you all to post more often. And agreed, a good storm always grows forum though like you say.

We'll see if we can work any moisture into the mix but highs in the 20s and lows in the lower 10s appear to be very possible for the first week of January. Possibly even colder than that. Models are waffling on throwing us some moisture but in those set ups the NW flow often aids some of us in Eastern Tennessee.

Euro ens OZ drops the PV into the N parts of the Valley,temps on the 3rd, don't get out of the teens for highs that day state wide of Tn.Clown map shows two troughs around the 3 and 7 and  3+" each event.It would be nice though to see the 12z buy into the idea,it's been on the warm side the last couple days compared to the 0z,,would like to see some consistency.

Edit:Just woke up,those troughs are setting up 2 and 5 not 3 and 7 of Jan

Better pattern ........post hr 144 per the 12z GFS.

I really think we are headed in a good direction. I just hate to see it showing post days 7-10. Too much can change and if its perfect in the long run, the chances are good it trends to something far less than perfect.

In this case though, with all the indices looking better by the day, I think it's only a matter of time before we have something good to track.

y6u7y8uq.jpg7ege5ure.jpg

Archived