• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

wpc disco on preferences for the cutoff...

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
150 AM EST TUE DEC 10 2013

...CLOSED LOW INITIALLY OFF THE SOUTHERN CA COAST REACHING THE
FOUR CORNERS BY FRIDAY...

FINAL PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 00Z GFS AND THE 12Z ECMWF/ECMWF
ENSEMBLE MEAN
FORECAST CONFIDENCE: BELOW AVERAGE

THERE IS CURRENTLY A COMPACT UPPER LOW SPINNING WELL OFF THE COAST
OF SOUTHERN CA WITH A GRADUAL SHIFT TO THE EAST DURING THE SHORT
RANGE PERIOD WHICH EXTENDS THROUGH 13/1200Z. THROUGH THE FIRST 36
HOURS OF THE FORECAST...THE 00Z UKMET/GEFS MEAN ARE A TAD FASTER
WITH THE CLOSED LOW WHILE THE 00Z CMC/ECMWF ARE SLIGHTLY SLOWER
THAN THE MIDDLE GROUND SOLUTIONS. THE MULTI-DAY SPAGHETTI TRENDS
SUGGEST SLOWER IS THE WAY TO GO.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be in heaven. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I love quick hitters too that drop big accumulations in 6-8 hour timeframes, but I'd much rather have 6 inches spread out over 2 days than 8 inches in 4 or 5 hours and the fun is all over.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Long duration light/moderate snowfalls just don't get my adrenaline running like, say, what happened in Philadelphia on Sunday.

There are two things I'm not seeing that we would typically see if the big snowstorm threat was real.

1. The DGEX remains flat/unphased (whereas typically we would see super amped/phased weenie runs by now).

2. None of the GFS ensembles (except 1 or 2) show anything close to what the GFS OP and GGEM show.

Bonus: We haven't seen a GGEM run that bombs this out to 988mb over Lake Huron.

There are two things I'm not seeing that we would typically see if the big snowstorm threat was real.

1. The DGEX remains flat/unphased (whereas typically we would see super amped/phased weenie runs by now).

2. None of the GFS ensembles (except 1 or 2) show anything close to what the GFS OP and GGEM show.

Bonus: We haven't seen a GGEM run that bombs this out to 988mb over Lake Huron.

2 - 4" or 3 - 6" take it and run

Oh my gosh. That looks amazing for Toronto. Wow. Has Toronto ever had a London,ON-esque LES dump?

Not in my lifetime that I recall. The closest would have been January 26-27, 2004 when there was a narrow strip of 18"+ from about Humber Bay-South Etobicoke-South Mississauga-East Oakville. Amounts really dropped off north and south of that stripe. Pearson had 13", downtown had 11" and by the time you got up to Markham it was <6".

Over/under 6.2" total snowfall with clipper and this system at ORD?

over (2.5 for clipper 8+ for this system)

EDIT:  I will add this before people think I am nuts....

either way you slice it...this system has a fairly decent setup for prolonged lake enhancement...whether it ends up being a little better phase then depicted now (which I think will happen) or its a messy phase/transfer situation

Temps look to be quite cold with this system as well, would expect to see some pretty good ratios. -10C (14F) at the surface for YYZ during the height of the event. Fluffy snow would likely blow around and drift pretty well too.

Too early to get excited but the support is growing for a decent event here.

Temps look to be quite cold with this system as well, would expect to see some pretty good ratios. -10C (14F) at the surface for YYZ during the height of the event. Fluffy snow would likely blow around and drift pretty well too.

Too early to get excited but the support is growing for a decent event here.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this event. Regardless, this December is a definite improvement over the past two in Toronto, and southern Ontario in general, at least in terms of temperature.

over (2.5 for clipper 8+ for this system)

EDIT:  I will add this before people think I am nuts....

either way you slice it...this system has a fairly decent setup for prolonged lake enhancement...whether it ends up being a little better phase then depicted now (which I think will happen) or its a messy phase/transfer situation

It's way too early to hash out lake details but as modeled, it's a very minor factor for NE IL and yeah, going in for 8+ is a stretch but good luck.

Archived