joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question guys. ..my hand held anemometer broke, do u have any ideas on a good one that's accurate and not too pricey?

1) insert finger into mouth

2) remove finger, point it up to the sky

3) judge speed

Cheapest i saw was like 85, but i wasnt looking for them at the time, was researching something else. So i probably missed cheaper ones.

Something to watch after next wknd warm up as seen on both euro and GFS and I have seen fronts before where it's 50 in front of it and 30 behind it put down a quick 1 inch or 2 as the Low level catches the back end of the precipitation it's day 12 ish. But after us coastal guys have our cover washed away Sunday. U may have 1 more shot a white xmas w that front. Just something to look for

WSW is now up for my backyard so for the first time this season it has to be unleashed: It's the infamous Snow Song for tomorrow's event (created circa 2001 winter on the Wright Weather BB):

facepalm.pnghotdog.gif

[based on the title song from Supertramp's first album Crime of the Century (1974)]

Now winter's planning, the storm of the century.
Well when, will it be?
Read all about the snow and strong gusty winds.
Yes, It's well worth a fee
So bundle up and see...(loud but brief guitar intrusion)

How it pounds the universe
How it's gone from bad to worse

Who are these mets. of lust, greed and glory
Steal their models and let's see
But that forecast's not right, oh no what's the story?
Well there's a temp. of 43...
(Shut up, that can't be right)

18z gfs really dilutes the torch and moves it along, but not before developing a wave of low pressure and giving us a combination of snow and rain with cold air to follow for Xmas. It's been hinting on developing a wave after the front passes, so it's worth keeping an eye on especially since there will be a SE ridge in place. 

south shore of long island has to be the worse place for snow in our area….

Yep, we're pretty much on par with southern NJ for season snow average. I don't have an average here, but KISP averages 24.8" a season. Our avg. Dec temps so far this month are warmer than anywhere else except for the NYC UHI, but all that warmth never does us any good. I don't mind it, because a lot of times I know I'm not going to get a lot of snow. I don't have a love for snow as much as a used to. Knowing that odds are against me, most of the time I root for torches all winter long.

Yep, we're pretty much on par with southern NJ for season snow average. I don't have an average here, but KISP averages 24.8" a season. Our avg. Dec temps so far this month are warmer than anywhere else except for the NYC UHI, but all that warmth never does us any good. I don't mind it, because a lot of times I know I'm not going to get a lot of snow. I don't have a love for snow as much as a used to. Knowing that odds are against me, most of the time I root for torches all winter long.

you could just move to goshen.

yes, but every so often you get a dump like last Feb  or Boxing Day '10 or other storms that bomb out in the right spot, so all is not lost down there! 

Archived