Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL a complete reversal of fortunate

Without a block in place, we won't have a widespread winter storm here this winter. Even with blocking, look at how hard it seems to be to make something happen for the whole area, because of the crazy progressive pattern. This will become an I-90 winter very soon if this stays around. We need for some warming to appear in the equatorial Pacific, and a SSW episode to force some higher heights where we need them around the pole.

If  you wana see Variance in Modeling the difference between a 12z run and 0z run on Euro are as follows .

At 12z 12 inches by 0z turned to 3 on storm one , 10 below became 10 above , and a second shot at a snowstorm 3 days later became thisecmwf_t2m_neng_28.png

If verified 50-60 knot gusts would be widespread. A cutter with possible damaging wind, and temps from 55-60 F to 10-15 F in a few hours.  Can this event somehow adjust SE and somehow become a HECS for 1/6/2014 ? We wasted time on the 1/2-3 threat, which is weaker supported for big impact on NYC area. Will need the earplugs to keep ears from popping FROM pressure changes not snowblower noise abatement.  What a snowjob we are getting.

If verified 50-60 knot gusts would be widespread,. A cutter with possible damaging wind, and temps from 55-60 F to 10-15 F in a few hours.  Can his event somehow adjust and somehow become a HECS, while we wasted time on the 1/2-3 threat, which is weaker supported. Willneeed the earplugs to keep ears from popping not snowblower noise abatement.

@   156 hours ?  it has the same probabiltiy as becoming sunny and 50 .

The bigger storm is coming Jan 5 - 7 in NYC Metro Unfortunately it looks to be mainly liquid which will wash the few inches we get later this week away as temps approach 50

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/97ep48iwbg_fill.gif

I agree the much bigger storm is Mon , However I think the European is dragging its heels with the PV that's coming in, and its allowing

this to buckle too far West . ithink the system is of the coast or close too it , don't think it runs up thru Scranton

I like the GFS which is further East .

well once again without any sort of moderation the entire NYC forum is a mess - there is more banter in those model threads then in here - especially since the models are not cooperating today with some folks snow fantasies - question is who is sgoing to step up to the plate and fix it

well once again without any sort of moderation the entire NYC forum is a mess - there is more banter in those model threads then in here - especially since the models are not cooperating today with some folks snow fantasies - question is who is sgoing to step up to the plate and fix it

I think people worry to much about it. I enjoy them all and really don't know what most of you folks are talking about model-wise, but I do like reading about it and as a result know a lot more than the average person, who looks at the morning news(  if that). As a result I don't feel the need to run out and clean the shelves of bread and milk just because Lonnie Quinn mentioned possible snow, because I already have a good idea of what's coming from reading here, along with NOAA. It must be irritating for some of you, I get that. But there are those of us here who like to read the threads with warts and all. Sometimes they are quite funny. And you can look like the go-to guy at work when it comes to weather. I can't offer much other than observation and a very good memory of NJ weather stretching back over 30 years.

Without a block in place, we won't have a widespread winter storm here this winter. Even with blocking, look at how hard it seems to be to make something happen for the whole area, because of the crazy progressive pattern. This will become an I-90 winter very soon if this stays around. We need for some warming to appear in the equatorial Pacific, and a SSW episode to force some higher heights where we need them around the pole.

You take what you can get and none of those changes are going to happen anytime soon, if at all this season. At least there are chances because of widespread cold around unlike a zonal pacific pattern where we just torch and torch with no chance of snow at all. 

Just want to register a vote for one thread per storm (or one plus a new thread if it gets too long). It's not hard to go back some pages if you want to see earlier models. Right now the discussion is all over the place and it's really confusing.

You know what grinds my gears? The Monday warmup. After all of this snowfall, there's a moderate possibility of the snow melting on Monday. Bad memories of the Winters of the late 90s are flooding in my mind.

I remember a decent storm in Feb 93, which was maybe 6-9 inches ( and that was a good storm; we rarely saw monsters and the last big one before that was Feb 83 blizzard ) which mostly melted the next day as temps soared. Storm hit on a Sunday. and schools opened the next day as it was forecast to go into the high 40's or even 50's. We did get the march 93 superslop with several inches of ice caked onto 11 inches of snow and sleet that year, also the biggest storm in a decade.

You take what you can get and none of those changes are going to happen anytime soon, if at all this season. At least there are chances because of widespread cold around unlike a zonal pacific pattern where we just torch and torch with no chance of snow at all. 

I lived thru 94 and while it was epic, most of the storms were not all snow and none were huge, other than the back to back Feb storms, and one of those mixed as well. I believe also that most of it all melted with a soaking warm storm a few days later. We continued with slop storms until the end of march; the last being a 6 inch sleet fest which was nearly impossible to shovel. Someof you have referred to that year as having similar signs to this one; keep in mind that 94 also came after a decade of mild winters with a handful of big storms ( 82, 83, 87 ) and no one was really ready for it; in fact, the Star Ledger had run a piece a few years back, 91  I think, asking whatever happened to winter...

Why are you posting an extended discussion in the 12z model run thread?

Think thats storms off the coast next week . LR a goof , Good handle weekend .

Think that storm stays off the coast and the cold air will be stronger than currently progged. We'll see as we go forward. Monday storm has more legs than this one for the coast and inland more than this one as far as bigger snowfall. Even so looks like thursday another chance for another storm. If only our flow was slower we'd really be in business with some blocking established as well

Archived