CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The "What To Title The Storm?" Thread - Dec 8-9

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEFS members agree with the op run overall. Euro also shows some frozen and the phantom followup wave. Good enough for me. 

Euro is cold for about 18 hours-24 hours while precip is falling but there isnt much precip though. Thats the biggest problem. its not the cold...its the dry

So what is the gfs and its ensembles doing wrong?

I'd wait for the Euro ensembles before declaring anything wrong.  For a Day 5 prog, ensembles are still the way to go.  The caveat in this situation is that lower resolution ensemble members will have a harder time seeing CAD.  

So what is the gfs and its ensembles doing wrong?

GFS is definitely quicker so the antecedent airmass is better. It's also wetter. 

I know the euro took some wind out of the weeniesm but totally discarding the gfs for a verbatim euro op solution is precarious. GFS has other model support as well. Just not king. 

GFS is definitely quicker so the antecedent airmass is better. It's also wetter. 

I know the euro took some wind out of the weeniesm but totally discarding the gfs for a verbatim euro op solution is precarious. GFS has other model support as well. Just not king. 

after the 2001-2002 winter, i was convinced we would never see snow again. We will see a snowstorm again this lifetime

I'd wait for the Euro ensembles before declaring anything wrong.  For a Day 5 prog, ensembles are still the way to go.  The caveat in this situation is that lower resolution ensemble members will have a harder time seeing CAD.  

Yep.  I don't think that matters so much at 850 but at the surface it sure does. I tried to make that point in my article.  For dc I think the GFS is probably a worst case (or best if you like ice and snow) and even then it's temps around DC are so close to freezing it probalby wouldn't disrupt travel much since it is happening during the day. 

Yep.  I don't think that matters so much at 850 but at the surface it sure does. I tried to make that point in my article.  For dc I think the GFS is probably a worst case (or best if you like ice and snow) and even then it's temps around DC are so close to freezing it probalby wouldn't disrupt travel much since it is happening during the day. 

yes...our source air mass is kind of weak.  Buffalo has a forecasted high of 34 on Sunday...Chicago 30...I doubt anyone goes below 28-30, and many of us 30-32 even with the big high..

Archived