• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

Nice .5" of mood snow this am. Big winter coming no wonder the snow owls have flown hundreds of miles further south than normal.

No dusting down south here this morning, but this week's snow still looks great. Still some clumps blowing off of the trees today. Also lots of wildlife tracks here and there, in spots it looks like a snow covered elementary school playground after recess. A bunch of robins flew in yesterday morning, they looked a bit lost. Guess they forgot to fly south.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expected a low of 8 last night, only got to 11.7 in NW Chesco.    Too much cloudiness and breeze stayed up.    Back up around 18 at sunrise.

At least the ground is good and frozen for this storm.   Last storm was like a March situation with mainly unfrozen ground - a real PIA to plow

when not on blacktop.

I remember that one - started snowing in the morning on (Sunday?) Dec. 11th, snowed about 3 inches by 1pm, there was a lull until 4 pm, then it started up again and went through most of the night. Some wind too. We left our sleds out and couldn't find them the next morning!

Check this out...

http://www.tnonline.com/2013/dec/13/winter-wonderland-park-cancelled

Apparently, the Borough of Jim Thorpe's "Winter Wonderland in the Park" festivities are cancelled for tonight because of the winter storm. Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? I would think that the snow would ADD to the atmosphere of the event.

Why do the amounts displayed in The storm totals on the nws site differ so much. Going by the latest reports time wise it showed 3 inches in palmer twshp yet myself and at least 4 other peoe whether it be on here or twiiter/facebook all posted 7-8 inches for the easton area. Also other towns as well comparing obs and what was posted on nws.

Why do the amounts displayed in The storm totals on the nws site differ so much. Going by the latest reports time wise it showed 3 inches in palmer twshp yet myself and at least 4 other peoe whether it be on here or twiiter/facebook all posted 7-8 inches for the easton area. Also other towns as well comparing obs and what was posted on nws.

Mitch isn't at work anymore, so I'm not sure who, if anyone, is browsing the thread at present.  Might be better to call the office or post on their Facebook page to get your totals in.

It could be that not everyone who posts a report is measuring accurately. They sometimes measure off the ground, or the roof of their car, etc. The NWS has a 14 page report on how to correctly measure snow: NWS Snow Measuring Guidlines

Also note the time listed on the reports.  Sometimes they are old.

Ray,

How would I report 1.5" of snow, followed by .3" of sleet, followed by .2" of snow, which measured at 2" before the change to rain? Should I parse out the sleet and call it 1.7" of snow? And this is not including the mashdown from the freezing rain that followed that left a net of about 1.3" of water ice. Thanks!

Ray,

How would I report 1.5" of snow, followed by .3" of sleet, followed by .2" of snow, which measured at 2" before the change to rain? Should I parse out the sleet and call it 1.7" of snow? And this is not including the mashdown from the freezing rain that followed that left a net of about 1.3" of water ice. Thanks!

The new guidelines say you report the max depth on your snow measurement surface (board).  So, if it was 2" deep max, you would report that.  Sleet counts as snow.

So who else thinks we flirt with 70 degrees in philly by late week?

I don't know - I've seen it get to close to 70 in April with snow on the ground (the day after it snowed even), not so sure about December. I realize at the end of the period the snowpack I have will likely be gone, but it might take till Saturday for that to happen. Hoping for a little padding on Mon. night/Tuesday.

I don't know - I've seen it get to close to 70 in April with snow on the ground (the day after it snowed even), not so sure about December. I realize at the end of the period the snowpack I have will likely be gone, but it might take till Saturday for that to happen. Hoping for a little padding on Mon. night/Tuesday.

There's only 3" of snow on the ground at PHL. They can add to that Tuesday but snow likes to melt fast around there, that's for sure.

This has been an awesome start to the winter. Way above any reasonable expectations for this area (12.7 inches to date). Looking ahead, while we may get something Monday night and Tuesday, I'm thinking ahead to next week, so here is my snow weenie wish list between now and Christmas:

Ideally, whatever happens this week, some new snow right before or even around Christmas would be great.

If that can't happen, then having something still on the ground  and cold outside (with an interesting pattern).

If none of those can happen, a leftover pile of snow would be acceptable. That at this point has the best chance of verifying, and is the only one I have any control over - one pile likely has enough mass to make it through the weekend! (Return of cold air next week would help).

These can also be combined of course.

There's only 3" of snow on the ground at PHL. They can add to that Tuesday but snow likes to melt fast around there, that's for sure.

Yes it does, it's very sunny over there!

I realize close to 70 is possible. My thought process is likely influenced by how cold it's been recently overall, combined with the last sequence of warm-up/cool-down we had 10 days ago, and we didn't have snow on the ground. I'm thinking the ground is good and cold. Then again with this pattern, the warm air isn't all that far away, is it?

Archived