• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December and a Hint of January Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

There is no pronounced surface low and a retreating high. Heights and temps won't crash. But that doesn't matter because plenty of precip overruns the cold dome before thermals go to sheet.

it pronounces just in time to hit 40N. :(

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

800mb-700mb..I'll look at soundings...maybe I am being too dour and we can get 90% snow....I am just assuming we will mix here in the city...when I say changeover it could mean sleet or zr

Thanks that is what i thought. In this area being dour is the way to go 95% of the time.

800mb-700mb..I'll look at soundings...maybe I am being too dour and we can get 90% snow....I am just assuming we will mix here in the city...when I say changeover it could mean sleet or zr

There's little chance we remain all snow (95 s and e), even in the best of setups we can't do it.   I'm cool with 90% frozen and 10% wet/drizzle.  

Its a snow sounding at 162 from where I am... unless I am reading it wrong.  168 is pressing it... prob SNPL... and 171 def shows the warm layer... so looks like precip before 168 is snow, and whatever after is sleet/freezing rain/drizzle

Even 75% snow is spiking the ball. We'll mix towards the end. How much precip falls at that point is a big ?. Trends are very encouraging for sure. I just want 2-3" of snow. That's my bar.

Its a snow sounding at 162 from where I am... unless I am reading it wrong.  168 is pressing it... prob SNPL... and 171 def shows the warm layer... so looks like precip before 168 is snow, and whatever after is sleet/freezing rain/drizzle

Verbatim all SN at DCA until Hr.168 when it flips to IP b/c of warm layer at 750mb.

I just looked at soundings for DCA

around 0.45" all snow

Around 0.30" briefly sleet and then quickly to freezing rain

all precip falls entirely with the surface below freezing

We take the football and go hide it somewhere where Wes cannot find it and overturn the call on teh field

We take the football and go hide it somewhere where Wes cannot find it and overturn the call on teh field

the problem is it is 156 hours away and the models don't have a lot of skill....pretty much any solution is on the table...rain, snow, mix, ice, whiff

Lovely. Generator sales just increased for this week. 

I'm guessing it's a ton of sleet-- for a while as modeled. 4k feet of -3 to -5 would be sleet. 

Quick burst of snow to begin and then ZR/IP for the rest of the time. Nasty.

Crazy event as modeled. Has been consistent. If anything, we trend more toward ZR and less SN.. but wetter. 

Just getting through soundings, it's hanging by a thread to snow at LYH at 162. 

I'm guessing it's a ton of sleet-- for a while as modeled. 4k feet of -3 to -5 would be sleet. 

Crazy event as modeled. Has been consistent. If anything, we trend more toward ZR and less SN.. but wetter. 

Just getting through soundings, it's hanging by a thread to snow at LYH at 162. 

I haven't looked at the model run...how much is a ton of sleet? Enough to break the 7+ inches  I got with Pres. Day II storm in 2003??

I haven't looked at the model run...how much is a ton of sleet? Enough to break the 7+ inches  I got with Pres. Day II storm in 2003??

Not hard to believe considering some locales received upwards of 3 feet on the eastern side of Baltimore with that one. A truly historic system, winter weather for days, thunder snow, and an interesting set-up. A hybrid miller B. That may be a set-up the region can succeed with this winter. 

Soundings are clearly snow at 162 and snow or snow sleet mix at 168,,,downhill from there. QPF won't be as much as pd2. 

Plenty of time for this to slide north or south. My experience says lower levels cool and mid levels warm compared to model data. If I had this model data 24 hours to start, I'd run more like 3-6 for ROA to LYH, not the 8-10 being shown. 

Good evening folks, long time reader, first time poster. Looks like we got an interesting little set up for later this week. Got CMC south of the area, GFS is in a pretty good location and Euro a bit warmer. As usual, typical model drama over the next few days to unfold. Either way all models show a pretty good high location, so we just need the right precipitation stream to hit the area. Put on your seat belts, at least we have something worth while to look at over the next few days. 

Archived