Boston, MA - 1.0"

PVD - 2.0"

Poughkeepsie, NY - 3.0"

West Point, NY - 2.0"

Philadelphia Intl AP - 2.9"

Philadelphia (Drexel) - 3.0"

BWI - 0.9"

DC - 0"

That's pretty noteworthy, but then the next question is obviously how reliable were the measurements and records in 1959.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty noteworthy, but then the next question is obviously how reliable were the measurements and records in 1959.

I was ten years old at the time and remember it pretty good...I had ruffly 8" on my block not far from the Bensonhurst measurement by a coop observer...

He specified that he meant NYC and it's 5 boroughs.

That does not qualify Boxing Day since the bullseye was outside of NYC and in NJ.

Jan. 26-27, 2011 was definitely a NYC borough bullseye with 18"-21".

That was a great storm. 5 hours of pure bliss with that ULL swinging through. I had about 16".

boxing day gave brooklyn and staten island 24+... that doesn't count?

Dec26_27_2010_NJ_snow.jpg

How is that the bulls eye when just west of Staten Island and along the Jersey coast, there is a bubble of 30"+?

It came close, but no cigar. Jan. 26, 2011 was the last one that bulls eyed NYC's boroughs.

All this snow talk really makes me hope for a big one this year even though I know it may be wishful thinking. I really wish what happened further south in 09-10 was further north and we could have gotten crazy totals. 

I agree with Feb 2006 with that megaband right on top of the city. 12/26 was close but the bullseye was a tad further west and into NJ. Funny how that storm had the greatest impacts of a storm that I could remember and it was in my opinion a true blizzard, but it could have easily turned out to be nothing. That was such a close call. 

All this snow talk really makes me hope for a big one this year even though I know it may be wishful thinking. I really wish what happened further south in 09-10 was further north and we could have gotten crazy totals. 

I agree with Feb 2006 with that megaband right on top of the city. 12/26 was close but the bullseye was a tad further west and into NJ. Funny how that storm had the greatest impacts of a storm that I could remember and it was in my opinion a true blizzard, but it could have easily turned out to be nothing. That was such a close call. 

9-10 was such torture here...missed the 1st storm completely, 2nd one busted, only got 5 inches and then the late Feb storm was mostly rain while places 30 miles west saw mostly snow...10-11 made up for it and last year's 30 incher too.

off topic but when I checked nesis ratings these made the top 11...All concidered crippling over a large part of the east coast...the two most underrated snowstorms are on the list...Jan. 1964 and 1978...But that's another topic for another day...

Rank Start End NESIS Category Description Map 1  1993-03-12 1993-03-14 13.20 5 Extreme view 2  1996-01-06 1996-01-08 11.78 5 Extreme view 3  1960-03-02 1960-03-05 8.77 4 Crippling view 4  2003-02-15 2003-02-18 7.50 4 Crippling view 5  1961-02-02 1961-02-05 7.06 4 Crippling view 6  1964-01-11 1964-01-14 6.91 4 Crippling view 7  2005-01-21 2005-01-24 6.80 4 Crippling view 8  1978-01-19 1978-01-21 6.53 4 Crippling view 9  1969-12-25 1969-12-28 6.29 4 Crippling view 10  1983-02-10 1983-02-12 6.25 4 Crippling view 11  1958-02-14 1958-02-17 6.25 4 Crippling view

I think anyone would be very hard pressed to find reliable data from a snowstorm where one location saw at least 12" of snow and that report was within the city limits of NY. NJ or Long Island or even Weschester for that matter is almost always going to have higher totals.

You know the main and most obvious reason this is true?  Simply because of the small amount of acreage the 5 boroughs encompass versus the rest of the area...I mean we can talk about how the city tends to report a bit lower than many other areas due to the UHI and some other stuff...but just sheer probability of the highest total falling over that small bit of real estate is very low.

I believe LGA was bullseyed in 1994 or Dec. 1995...Newark was bullseyed one of those years...their amounts were called bullchit at the time because they were so much higher than other parts of the city...I measured 8" from the first storm and 9" from the second in Brooklyn...I had about 15" of snow depth after the second storm...Central Park had a 21" snow depth...one of the highest of all time...

I believe LGA was bullseyed in 1994 or Dec. 1995...Newark was bullseyed one of those years...their amounts were called bullchit at the time because they were so much higher than other parts of the city...I measured 8" from the first storm and 9" from the second in Brooklyn...I had about 15" of snow depth after the second storm...Central Park had a 21" snow depth...one of the highest of all time...

Dec 1995 is the one LGA had 15" versus about 8" at Central Park.  I think LGA was the one closer to reality here.  LGA had 7" before I had a trace out at Port Jeff...I eventually ended up with about 11".

You know the main and most obvious reason this is true?  Simply because of the small amount of acreage the 5 boroughs encompass versus the rest of the area...I mean we can talk about how the city tends to report a bit lower than many other areas due to the UHI and some other stuff...but just sheer probability of the highest total falling over that small bit of real estate is very low.

Dobbs Ferry must be the size of Alaska.

j/k :)

1996 was undermeasured. Parts of LI and Queens were close to, if not over 30" as well.

There was no widespread PNS and Internet spotter reports back then and I am sure that if there was, the Nesis map would look much more impressive.

I think I have to agree with you here. Even though I was very young I still have not seen drifts and piles of snow larger than that storm here in my part of Queens. I remember 10' tall street signs completely covered on my block and have never seen that since.

- But places in NJ stilled received more. Still I think that was the largest snowfall for my area in my lifetime.

- Speaking of 96 we haven't had an overrunning event in a while (its due lol)

I think I have to agree with you here. Even though I was very young I still have not seen drifts and piles of snow larger than that storm here in my part of Queens. I remember 10' tall street signs completely covered on my block and have never seen that since.

- But places in NJ stilled received more. Still I think that was the largest snowfall for my area in my lifetime.

- Speaking of 96 we haven't had an overrunning event in a while (its due lol)

Yup, I think so too. The last true overrunning event for NYC was back in February 2003. 

Good morning the jan.7 96 storm had a marine forecast that hasn't rivaled i'll never forget  freezing fog and ocean spray and the L.I sound produced snow effect a pretty amazing  airmass in place.The snow shield was from Texas to New England just a once in a lifetime storm for that many folks .see ya

Whitestone had 12 the Bronx had 8 inches remember it like yesterday stalled band of snow over LGA i'm right as rain on that obs. 1995 dec event.

Thanks Mulen.  I always assumed that someone goofed at LGA in the 12/95 storm.  This is the first corroboration that I have seen.  It's good to know even LGA can jackpot if every thing comes together there.

Thanks Mulen.  I always assumed that someone goofed at LGA in the 12/95 storm.  This is the first corroboration that I have seen.  It's good to know even LGA can jackpot if every thing comes together there.

I never thought that was a correct observation...If I didn't remember hearing the News about the December 1959 storm the morning it ended I wouldn't believe Central Park could get 14" while most other places got 8"...The news cast basicly said portions of northern Manhattan and southern Westchester got the most...It was the first day of Winter I believe...My memory is fuzzy because it's 54 years ago...

Archived