• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Season Lake Effect and Clippers

Geos

Been way too long since we saw a front sided winter. To have the possibility this early makes me excited but the east cost had a massive Halloween blizzard for the 10-11 season beginning... We all know what happened next.

Never the less blade and salter will be ready on at least one truck tomorrow night. ;-)

You mean 2011-2012.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks pretty consistently what the GFS has been showing; N Illinois and N Indiana bullseye, MKE on the northern edge, may catch a couple flakes if surface temps can get near freezing.

850mb and 925mb temps are impressive on the GFS too. I would be happy to get a 5 minute snow shower out of this.

GGEM should be interesting to see next.

interesting scenario possibly.... in AFD, APX discusses a setup similar to Buffalo, Oct 2006. 

POTENTIAL DEPTH AND
MAGNITUDE OF CONVECTION COULD HAVE NO PROBLEM RAPIDLY ERODING THIS
MELTING LAYER IN A QUICK WAY (SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES BACK IN MID
OCTOBER 2006 ALLOWED LAKE SHOWERS TO QUICKLY CHANGE TO SNOW...EVEN
DOWN TO THE COAST AT TIMES. SEE BUFFALO DURING THE SAME EVENT). IF
THINGS COME TOGETHER JUST RIGHT...COULD EASILY SEE SEVERAL INCHES OF
WET SNOW BY MORNING...WITH SOME IMPRESSIVE SNOWFALL RATES.

LAKE EFFECT RAIN SHOWERS WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY
TONIGHT...ESPECIALLY NORTH OF M-68 ACROSS NORTHERN LOWER MICHIGAN.
THESE SHOWERS WILL MIX WITH...AND POTENTIALLY...CHANGE OVER TO
SNOW LATER THIS EVENING AND THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT. IF
PRECIPITATION BECOMES ALL SNOW...ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE...ALONG
WITH SOME HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES. THE GREATEST THREAT FOR THIS TO
OCCUR WOULD BE SEVERAL MILES INLAND FROM LAKE MICHIGAN. CONFIDENCE
IS VERY LOW ON THIS SCENARIO...AND ANY TYPE OF IMPACT OR SPECIFIC
SNOWFALL AMOUNTS CANNOT BE DETERMINED AT THIS TIME. PLEASE STAY
TUNED TO FUTURE FORECASTS REGARDING THIS POTENTIAL.

The northern solution is the way to go.

The question is what's the flake-age potential... The event in the Plains a few days back is a good benchmark for what you want...Mod-heavier precip, temps in the low to mid-30's and sub-32F wet bulb temps and DP's. The GFS and now the NAM also shows exactly this. Have that work out and someone will see some sort of accumulation, if not a T is the best you will do.

First DAB call for the contest tiebreaker? :P

First DAB call for the contest tiebreaker? :P

Hah!

The funny thing is that any snow that falls won't even count towards the contest totals because it's for November through March snow totals. I wonder if that applies to the tie breaker questions. ;)

Could be the case where some areas have above average seasonal snowfall totals but come in as under on the contest because the snow fell outside the contest range.

Yeah I'm thinking this is gonna be a nice little event for someone.  A very narrow corridor will have the favorable thermo profiles juxtaposed with the best precip, but there should be a nice/narrow band of decent accums.  I'm thinking 2-3" could easily pile up in that narrow band from Iowa into IL.  Even though some of the 12zs are out, it's still too early to pinpoint the exact area, since because of the narrow nature of the band it makes the margin for error rather high. 

Yeah I'm thinking this is gonna be a nice little event for someone.  A very narrow corridor will have the favorable thermo profiles juxtaposed with the best precip, but there should be a nice/narrow band of decent accums.  I'm thinking 2-3" could easily pile up in that narrow band from Iowa into IL.  Even though some of the 12zs are out, it's still too early to pinpoint the exact area, since because of the narrow nature of the band it makes the margin for error rather high. 

This, going to get a several hour period near the IA/IL border, maybe just on the IL side where you get the best UVV's juxtaposed with a deeper DGZ, probably near the lunch hour when H7 temps cool slightly. 

Loop of the H7 UVV's since I can't get it to show up on here for some reason.

http://i.picasion.com/pic74/97e01444be76c4e783ca69a05a9d8c8f.gif

This, going to get a several hour period near the IA/IL border, maybe just on the IL side where you get the best UVV's juxtaposed with a deeper DGZ, probably near the lunch hour when H7 temps cool slightly. 

Loop of the H7 UVV's since I can't get it to show up on here for some reason.

http://i.picasion.com/pic74/97e01444be76c4e783ca69a05a9d8c8f.gif

Nice!  Yeah it definitely looks like the highest totals will occur in Iowa, as the snow will have established there prior to sunrise.  Probably in the Fort Dodge/Marshalltown/Waterloo/Cedar Rapids area.  The intense UVVs should make for some intense rates of snowfall on the IL side too, but later start time may take a little bite out of the total accums.  Either way it's gonna look like a winter wonderland over part of the area tomorrow. 

Verbatim the 12z NAM and GFS both would give the QC area a good 2-4" snow.  If things still look good later tonight I'll set up the ol' GoPro and do a backyard time lapse.  Would look pretty cool with the trees still full of leaves.

12z GFS favoring DVN for this event. Going to say Cyclone will get near 1.0" on the coldest surfaces.

GFS_3_2013102112_F48_PCPIN_48_HR.png

GFS_3_2013102112_F42_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

Edit: 12z NAM

Whatever model WGN was showing, showed the heaviest band of snow near I-88 and even some decent returns in the northern suburbs.

Man, Skilling must get 10 weeks of vacation a year lol.  Must be nice!

Lol! Probably in Alaska again.

12z EURO Clipper - still look like the most southern solution. And in the last frame you can see the LES/R organizing.

Northern Michigan's first WWA

/O.NEW.KAPX.WW.Y.0021.131022T0000Z-131022T1400Z/
EMMET-CHEBOYGAN-CHARLEVOIX-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PETOSKEY...CHEBOYGAN...CHARLEVOIX
320 PM EDT MON OCT 21 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO
10 AM EDT TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GAYLORD HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS
EVENING TO 10 AM EDT TUESDAY.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* THROUGH THIS EVENING: RAIN SHOWERS WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE
   AND INTENSITY WITH SNOW GRADUALLY MIXING IN TOWARDS SUNSET. ANY
   ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL OCCUR AFTER DARK.

* RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS WILL CHANGE TO SNOW AT TIMES OVER INLAND
   LOCATIONS OVERNIGHT. SNOW MAY OCCASIONALLY BE MODERATE TO
   HEAVY. RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS WILL PUSH SOUTH OF THE REGION
   TUESDAY MORNING.

* STORM TOTAL SNOW: 1 TO AS MUCH AS 3 INCHES OF WET SNOW IS
   POSSIBLE...PARTICULARLY ON GRASSY SURFACES FOR LOCATIONS INLAND
   FROM THE GREAT LAKES. LESS THAN ONE INCH IS EXPECTED ELSEWHERE.

IMPACTS...

Archived