• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Let's talk winter!

Steve

interestingly wxbell maps for the 12zz euro  bring the heaviest axis of snow right across franklin county  I-70 special....8-10"

If you look at the 850 map on wxbell it looks like we're above frz at that level.  I think it's a case of the snow maps generate snow from ANY form of frozen precip.  Looks like a monster ice storm to me.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the 850 map on wxbell it looks like we're above frz at that level.  I think it's a case of the snow maps generate snow from ANY form of frozen precip.  Looks like a monster ice storm to me.

yea I agree.  The good news is 850s crash faster than the 00z was showing.   Bad news is it's also colder at the surface so we could be talking a lot of ice

per usual, those 'safely' in the all snow area may have a trade-off of less qpf. The jackpot snowstorm will be whereever the mix/snow line sets up. You gotta smell the sleet if you want the big snows.

Yep. When you're biting your nails along the rain snow line, you can generally cash in.

I know better than to think that CLE is safe from mixing, even though the euro has been adamant about not mixing for the past several runs.

Regardless, even if this stays all snow, I'm not expecting anything major (i.e.foot+ blizzard). A general 4-8" swath somewhere seems realistic.

U guys remember Jerry Martz? He used to be on channel 6 & fox 28. He posted on his facebook that it will be an all rain event here? Not sure what he is looking at.

he either believes it will trend nw...or he's going with the nam.

Although the nam is moving southeast now and the 18z is now all frozen for us in cmh....not sure what exactly...but it appears to keep surface below freezing the entire storm.

ILN defending the decision not to put out a watch yet, (which seems way too early anyways), mentioned the possibility that even places that stay all snow in the nw may not reach warning criteria.

As per the nam.. The text data 850's stay well above freezing, 2m temps above freezing as well for cmh. As per 18z.

As per the nam.. The text data 850's stay well above freezing, 2m temps above freezing as well for cmh. As per 18z.

that's believable with the track the nam shows.   What doesn't look believable is the 2-4" all snow amounts.....the gfs shows the .5 line getting very close to cmh in one panel alone.

ok, but how do you get .49 qpf as 2-4"? Ratios shouldn't be that bad....even 10:1 is 5"

Taking everything into account. Even an hour switch to anything but snow would drop snow totals dramatically. Guess it's all in how you forecast. If a model shows .5 the safe bet would be to assume .35 or so. If a model shows 1.5" all snow. The best bet would be to go with 12" especially in the situation with this storm with models all over the place with temps and qpf amount. The nam has around an inch. The euro almost an inch and a half then the gfs with a half inch. And gem isn't nearly as strong now either. So I think if the gfs is correct... 2-4" maybe 3-5" would be the safe bet. But it's the 18z which I personally don't pay much attention to. I use them to see if trends continue. We need the nam and euro qpf and the gfs temps. But we both know that's extremely unlikely.

Radar sweeps don't look bad for here either. Maybe a surprise couple inches? Definitely moving North/Northeast. Something to keep an eye on.

Radar sweeps don't look bad for here either. Maybe a surprise couple inches? Definitely moving North/Northeast. Something to keep an eye on.

A surprise 1-2 would be ok by me!!

per usual, those 'safely' in the all snow area may have a trade-off of less qpf.   The jackpot snowstorm will be whereever the mix/snow line sets up.    You gotta smell the sleet if you want the big snows.

ILN point and click has it as snow and sleet Tues night. Hopefully the chances of an ice storm here keep dwindling.

Archived