joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's talk winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wxbell shows widespread 6-10 across much of ohio and Indiana....I would imagine some of that from I-70 south in ohio is frozen but not  necessarily all snow.   

Southern OH gets a nice concentrated dump from the sunday night wave....up to about Chillicothe where it lightens up....nothing for here on that one.

euro stepped in a good direction... 850 line makes it as far north as I-70 briefly, which is a big improvement... and surface temps stay at or below freezing. Still would imply something messy and mixy vs. all snow....but it's the coldest, best run for us in the last few.

good runs this afternoon. We are still riding the edge so hopefully this trend continues and isn't just a burp that corrects itself nw again.

Well sucked us back in! Oy!

I think as modelled with temps hoovering near freezing may help us a bit. The most devastating ice storm we had (Dec 2004) was driving rain with temps in the upper 20s!

I'm not really good with soundings but my bet would be sleet for us...or...as you said a 'warm' freezing rain, in other words rain at 31 or 32 where it's cold but not enough to cause good accretion.    

but overall we're not where we need to be in the models yet, or at least where I feel comfortable.  We need about 50-75 miles further southeast.... a very tall order.  

ok I gotta go or my wife is gonna kill me if I don't get off the computer.   No access to models tonight so don't screw things up!

I'm not really good with soundings but my bet would be sleet for us...or...as you said a 'warm' freezing rain, in other words rain at 31 or 32 where it's cold but not enough to cause good accretion.    

Agreed. The 2nd worst outcome from this storm would be sleet. Ugh! I hate that CMH is ALWAYS riding the line on these type of events. We have to fret over every inch of snow we get here it seems.

Agreed. The 2nd worst outcome from this storm would be sleet. Ugh! I hate that CMH is ALWAYS riding the line on these type of events. We have to fret over every inch of snow we get here it seems.

I hate sleet..serves no purpose for me at all!!

It may not. Euro went NW...

It was pretty close to 12z, a tick nw.   That being said I would have liked to see more trend se.   I'm worried that we are now where we usually are in the modeling, the nam is furthest nw, the gfs furthest se, and the euro/ggem are in the middle but closer to the se side.

Moving forward from here you'd expect a gfs/nam compromise which would suck for us, probably cold rain primarily.  

Not losing the hope, just keeping it real.  We'll see what happens today but my gut is an overall correction nw...a little bit.   Hope I'm wrong.

It was pretty close to 12z, a tick nw.   That being said I would have liked to see more trend se.   I'm worried that we are now where we usually are in the modeling, the nam is furthest nw, the gfs furthest se, and the euro/ggem are in the middle but closer to the se side.

Moving forward from here you'd expect a gfs/nam compromise which would suck for us, probably cold rain primarily.  

Not losing the hope, just keeping it real.  We'll see what happens today but my gut is an overall correction nw...a little bit.   Hope I'm wrong.

Considering where we were when the day began yesterday, I fail to see how we could see anything but positives. Hell, the Canadian last night was almost a whiff to the SE!

Considering where we were when the day began yesterday, I fail to see how we could see anything but positives. Hell, the Canadian last night was almost a whiff to the SE!

yea we'll see.  I'm not worried about the nam so much, it's more the general idea that the furthest southeast solutions, even with the euro and the ggem are still close calls with snow/rain....so basically there is no room for error nw....and that might be a tall order considering we're still about 60 hours out.

As far as the nam...I think it was ORH_wxman  that said it shouldn't be run past 48 hours lol

Archived