joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's talk winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's what wxbell shows.  surface temps flash to upper 30s for a few hours then crash to 20s

These op runs are fun to follow, but the ensemble's are probabably a better way to go until this gets within 3 days or so. I'll go with the normal Ohio mentality - expect the worst and hope for the best. Heck, the law of averages has to catch up with us at some point :whistle:  

These op runs are fun to follow, but the ensemble's are probabably a better way to go until this gets within 3 days or so. I'll go with the normal Ohio mentality - expect the worst and hope for the best. Heck, the law of averages has to catch up with us at some point :whistle:  

euro ens should be interesting.  Obviously the closer you get to the event the smaller the spread will be from the OP, but it could still give us a clue one way or other.

Thinking back to March 2008, the models latched on to a significant snowstorm at day 5 and never wavered. I never felt more sure of a major hit than during that storm, there were no major waffles on the models, just run after run of continual amazing hits.

You'd think the next time the I -71 corridor in Ohio is jackpot we'll see prolonged model support beforehand. Let's face it, a major snowstorm centered over I-71 from CVG to CMH to CLE isn't the most frequent occurrence. I don't think a storm just "trends" to that solution, like it can for folks in the central lakes, which is a much more common storm track anyway.

120 hour 12z runs

jma

uk

nogap

ggem

gfs

euro

It's not a terrible position for a winterstorm slp for cmh , (except for the gfs and ggem), the problem is how does it get there, how far north into KY or OH before it makes a right turn.     All of them are close calls except for the ggem and gfs.   Unfortunately for us the ggem has been doing a great job lately.

post-622-0-31075500-1391196094_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-78220200-1391196103_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-85957200-1391196129_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-03769800-1391196157_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-72549500-1391196175_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-16599200-1391196298_thumb.jpg

Buckeye....maybe my eyes are deceiving me...but that 108 profile showed the surface temps below freezing...not in the upper 30's. 850's right at critical mass...with the 540 line up near Lima! Is that correct?

I was talking about the wxbell map, not the one neoh posted.  Yes his would be best case scenario for all of us.

12z euro.   Looping thru surface temps it briefly jumps us above freezing but we crash fast.  I would imagine a lot of the frozen on that is some kind of mix on the southern end.

still not horrible but it's 4th down and 22, 3 secs on the clock and our third string QB is in.

Do you have this for WNY? Thanks!

120 hour 12z runs

jma

uk

nogap

ggem

gfs

euro

It's not a terrible position for a winterstorm slp for cmh , (except for the gfs and ggem), the problem is how does it get there, how far north into KY or OH before it makes a right turn.     All of them are close calls except for the ggem and gfs.   Unfortunately for us the ggem has been doing a great job lately.

Wow this is nice, thanks for putting this together. Model spread is not to far apart given how its still 4-5 days away.

I don't think a southeast move is likely, but I also don't think it's out of the realm for a further southeast and weaker low.  This is not the type of system that is climbing north out of the gulf on a deep negatively tilted trough.   The trough does try to go negative but it's relatively shallow because the building heights in front are limited with the PV and confluence in place.  Build that confluence stronger or tweak the PV placement and it's 50 miles this way or that, which to us here in cmh is a world of difference.

I don't care what anyone says....when it come to weather Columbus is the ON THE LINE king.  Every fricken storm is a nail biter ...EVERY STINKING ONE.     lol

I hear ya. We usually are to, especially with the way the pattern has been in regards to synoptic. Nearly 80-90% of my snow is from lake effect/enhancement. Thank god for Lake Erie. ^_^

I don't think a southeast move is likely, but I also don't think it's out of the realm for a further southeast and weaker low.  This is not the type of system that is climbing north out of the gulf on a deep negatively tilted trough.   The trough does try to go negative but it's relatively shallow because the building heights in front are limited with the PV and confluence in place.  Build that confluence stronger or tweak the PV placement and it's 50 miles this way or that, which to us here in cmh is a world of difference.

I've learned from living in this area, that models often underestimate how fast the transfer to the coastal takes place. It is often much faster than modeled and would result in less warm air moving in aloft keeping the precipitation mainly in the frozen form.

ALL hope is not lost. From ILN office:

ANOTHER STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY FROM TUESDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY. AS THIS IS STILL SEVERAL DAYS AWAY...IT
IS NOT POSSIBLE TO RELIABLY FORECAST SPECIFIC IMPACTS.
HOWEVER...THERE APPEARS TO BE THE CHANCE FOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS IN
SOME LOCATIONS (ESPECIALLY WEST AND NORTHWEST OHIO)...WITH SOME
FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE AS WELL. AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF RAIN MAY ALSO
OCCUR...MAINLY IN KENTUCKY.

ALL hope is not lost. From ILN office:

ANOTHER STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY FROM TUESDAY

AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY. AS THIS IS STILL SEVERAL DAYS AWAY...IT

IS NOT POSSIBLE TO RELIABLY FORECAST SPECIFIC IMPACTS.

HOWEVER...THERE APPEARS TO BE THE CHANCE FOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS IN

SOME LOCATIONS (ESPECIALLY WEST AND NORTHWEST OHIO)...WITH SOME

FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE AS WELL. AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF RAIN MAY ALSO

OCCUR...MAINLY IN KENTUCKY.

Looks like things may be trending SE a bit..i really hope were all snow and not freezing rain..that would be quite a bit of frz rain!! Temps on tuesday look to be really close to 32!!

Haha GFS says not so fast my friends lol

Euro follows suit. Unreal. Last night's runs everyone committing weenie suicide. Tonight's runs of the Euro and GFS put us back in the game. Didn't get to check the other models. Any ohio posters up?

Just got up. Good to hear. Just hope its a trend & not a blip. 12z today will tell the tale. It sounds like 6z GFS was southeast as well?

Archived