• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's talk winter!

Steve

-22 here, broke the daily record low. Our all time record low is -26, we may have another shot at it.

You never know...Union County airport is already -16! The winds will pick up late tonight so temps should level off by sunrise. Down to -1 here but the dew point creeped up to -8, so we'll see how much the dew point can get dragged down tonight.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You never know...Union County airport is already -16! The winds will pick up late tonight so temps should level off by sunrise. Down to -1 here but the dew point creeped up to -8, so we'll see how much the dew point can get dragged down tonight.

-13 currently. It will be interesting to see where we sit come morning if the winds do kick in.

Gotta love that 18Z GFS next week!

I had to laugh....talk about a pummeling...nothing like a good dose of some 18z gfs.    I will say this, I really hope this morphs into a juicy, slow, weak system lifting out of the gulf and knocking heads with a sinking high.   A long duration, west to east overrunning.    That's our greatest chance for a big dog.  If this thing phases, and gets any strength to it at all,  it'll be January 5th all over again.  One of those a year is rough enough....don't need two.

Plan on keeping a lot of next week storm talk in here vs. the larger thread.   Let the Chicago and MI folks have that one.  Nothing against our subforum midwest brethren, but it's kinda silly.  It's like the Boston and DC posters analyzing the same storm in the same thread.  Let's face it, what's good for us sucks for them and vice versa.   I almost feel like I'm trolling the thread if I post a model run showing a good hit for us, because that usually means they get screwed. 

Plan on keeping a lot of next week storm talk in here vs. the larger thread.   Let the Chicago and MI folks have that one. 

Agreed. The OH talk gets lost in all the banter.

BTW, how much of our snow cover do you expect to get melted away this weekend before the "big dog". If we get a few slushy inches before the rain moves in perhaps it will preserve it? :loon:

I had to laugh....talk about a pummeling...nothing like a good dose of some 18z gfs.    I will say this, I really hope this morphs into a juicy, slow, weak system lifting out of the gulf and knocking heads with a sinking high.   A long duration, west to east overrunning.    That's our greatest chance for a big dog.  If this thing phases, and gets any strength to it at all,  it'll be January 5th all over again.  One of those a year is rough enough....don't need two.

Plan on keeping a lot of next week storm talk in here vs. the larger thread.   Let the Chicago and MI folks have that one.  Nothing against our subforum midwest brethren, but it's kinda silly.  It's like the Boston and DC posters analyzing the same storm in the same thread.  Let's face it, what's good for us sucks for them and vice versa.   I almost feel like I'm trolling the thread if I post a model run showing a good hit for us, because that usually means they get screwed. 

Yeah..i very seldom post over there!!

I had to laugh....talk about a pummeling...nothing like a good dose of some 18z gfs. I will say this, I really hope this morphs into a juicy, slow, weak system lifting out of the gulf and knocking heads with a sinking high. A long duration, west to east overrunning. That's our greatest chance for a big dog. If this thing phases, and gets any strength to it at all, it'll be January 5th all over again. One of those a year is rough enough....don't need two.

Plan on keeping a lot of next week storm talk in here vs. the larger thread. Let the Chicago and MI folks have that one. Nothing against our subforum midwest brethren, but it's kinda silly. It's like the Boston and DC posters analyzing the same storm in the same thread. Let's face it, what's good for us sucks for them and vice versa. I almost feel like I'm trolling the thread if I post a model run showing a good hit for us, because that usually means they get screwed.

A January 5-6 redux would be hard to stomach here. If this storm is going northwest, I wish the models would just latch on now. It's the days of showing a good hit, followed by a slow northwest progression to nothing, that's depressing. You end up latching on to the 12"+ runs, which turn into respectable 6-10" runs, which turn into moderate 4-8" runs, which turn into mixing runs that still give 3-6" until you're left with a couple crappy runs that show a possible backside inch.

I'm sure it's going to be one long week of model mayhem.

A January 5-6 redux would be hard to stomach here. If this storm is going northwest, I wish the models would just latch on now. It's the days of showing a good hit, followed by a slow northwest progression to nothing, that's depressing. You end up latching on to the 12"+ runs, which turn into respectable 6-10" runs, which turn into moderate 4-8" runs, which turn into mixing runs that still give 3-6" until you're left with a couple crappy runs that show a possible backside inch.

I'm sure it's going to be one long week of model mayhem.

You're right....knowing early that you're getting screwed is the easiest to take.  The rain this weekend was well telegraphed by the models several days ago, it doesn't bother me.  In fact I'm looking forward to washing my truck and getting out and taking care of some stuff I've put on hold.  

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of model teasing back and forth about the storm next week....yup, long week ahead.

Agreed. The OH talk gets lost in all the banter.

BTW, how much of our snow cover do you expect to get melted away this weekend before the "big dog". If we get a few slushy inches before the rain moves in perhaps it will preserve it? :loon:

We'll probably go into next week with a crusty couple of inches and of course piles everywhere. 

It's amazing to me how quickly we get warm, toasty, touchy and rainy after such an Arctic outbreak.

This Arctic Blast erodes quickly, and takes the snow threats with it.

Hate to see this, but it's the pattern this Winter.

It's not that unusual to swing like this, especially in severe winters.  You live by amplification, you die by amplification.   For us to have a really long duration snowcover we usually have a storm followed by cold and dry.  We had our longest duration of snowcover between Thanksgiving and into December, but that wasn't that exciting of a time either.    I loved what happened this past weekend, it was a three parter....clipper Saturday morning, squalls Saturday evening and clipper Sunday morning.  That was a fun way to get 10" of snow.

-10 here, which is also well ahead of last night. Temperatures from Columbus points NW have leveled off or started rising, so I don't think us farther east will see a drop all night...but we'll see how low we can get.

Not dropping as quickly as last night either - about a degree an hour. Sitting at -19.

Looks like the low for Columbus may be -8, as it's warmed a few degrees since.

This makes for 7 days this month with lows of 0 or below.  That is the most since 1982, when there were 8.  It is also the 3rd highest total, behind 1982 and 1977, which had 14.  Several other years matched 7.

Archived