• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New 24 hour Wx Channel to start in 2014

GaWx

Who needs TWC on TV? I find them more effective via twitter. I do think it is hilarious how they changed the line up to have more weather segments and less docucrap reality junk. Btw if directv dropped nbc all together that is fine too.

It's been garbage for a very long time now. Of course everyone has complained over the years of it getting away from actual weather and doing all this reality tv crap and everyone, including myself, wondered when someone would step up and compete with them because they were essentially begging someone to do it with all garbage they put on. They are quite arrogant and had the notion of nobody would ever be able to compete with them due to their name recognition and how long it's been around.

Our complaints fell on deaf ears and I think it's funny and great that a major tv provider like directtv finally called them out on it and forcing them to listen. I mean I laughed so hard when I read the quote the other day from DTV that mentioned 40% of their programming is the reality tv garbage and that people have been complaining about it for a long time.

As for weather nation. I like the fact they are a lot more focused on the actual weather. Hell I even saw them show a real 500mb vorticity model map the other day while not dumbing it down to some really course graphic for the ignorant. I was pretty surprised.

At any rate, twc is going to have to change now if they now have all these companies out there competing with them with major providers calling them out on their increasingly poor product. It will still be hard though for these other companies because twc is so well known and has been for so long.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This DirectTV/Weather Channel thing spat could get interesting ........ the Weather Channel is REALLY playing the "public safety is at risk!" card hard here.  Why look --- it's Jim Cantore on the website!

http://www.keeptheweatherchannel.com/

I really am not one to bash the Weather Channel --- IMO their coverage during big events has improved quite a bit over the last several years.  And frankly quite often the weather is pretty run-of-the-mill across the entire country, so there's no great harm in showing Reality Television at those times.

But I still think their playing the "public safety" card here is a bit of hyperbole.  IMO when severe weather/blizzards/hurricanes are threatening/imminent, the general public is much better off getting their info from their local TV stations.

This post sums up my opinion as well.  The weather Channel has increased their expert analysis of severe weather, hurricanes, winter storms, etc. the last year or two.  I've been watching them more because of this.  However, when there is not much going on there isn't much of a reason to watch weather coverage.  I'm actually more likely to watch something like 'Prospectors'(I like this kind of show) during those times.

A lot of channels have been filling their schedules with reality type programming in recent years as the cable tv environment becomes increasingly tough with more channels and fewer viewers to go around.  Financially, I have to assume The Weather Channel is better off showing prospecting, Coast Guard rescue, and trucking shows than they would be if they paid OCMs to stand in front of the camera all day telling us how it's sunny in Iowa, nothing's going on in California, and there's some light rain in Georgia.  If they thought they could make more money nerding out with 24-hr coverage and advanced analysis of every little mouse fart of a weather event across the country, they'd be doing it.

I agree TWC is really in no position to argue that they are vital to viewer safety.  That's certainly hyperbole.  The amount of weather resources on the internet now is huge, plus there are local tv stations as well as weather radio.  I, and probably the vast majority of people, watch TWC for the same reason I watch History or Discovery... because what they are showing is interesting and entertaining.

This post sums up my opinion as well.  The weather Channel has increased their expert analysis of severe weather, hurricanes, winter storms, etc. the last year or two.  I've been watching them more because of this.  However, when there is not much going on there isn't much of a reason to watch weather coverage.  I'm actually more likely to watch something like 'Prospectors'(I like this kind of show) during those times.

A lot of channels have been filling their schedules with reality type programming in recent years as the cable tv environment becomes increasingly tough with more channels and fewer viewers to go around.  Financially, I have to assume The Weather Channel is better off showing prospecting, Coast Guard rescue, and trucking shows than they would be if they paid OCMs to stand in front of the camera all day telling us how it's sunny in Iowa, nothing's going on in California, and there's some light rain in Georgia.  If they thought they could make more money nerding out with 24-hr coverage and advanced analysis of every little mouse fart of a weather event across the country, they'd be doing it.

I agree TWC is really in no position to argue that they are vital to viewer safety.  That's certainly hyperbole.  The amount of weather resources on the internet now is huge, plus there are local tv stations as well as weather radio.  I, and probably the vast majority of people, watch TWC for the same reason I watch History or Discovery... because what they are showing is interesting and entertaining.

Well said!  Even though I understand why reality TV is becoming so prominent due to its cheap production values, personally, it is the exact reason why I stopped watching channels like Discovery and the Weather Channel. I honestly don't understand the appeal of reality TV to viewers, it's 90% staged and mostly garbage in general. 

If they hadn't fired then Captain Mitchell because she actually fulfilled her reserve committment, the Hurricane Hunter show would have had a lot more available footage.  Per her public FB, if she was the the flight met, they'd only film in the cockpit, and even got info wrong.  Major Mitchell now, BTW

Poor woman, on al Jazeera America, which I understand is a ratings disaster.

Last night there was weather/tsunamis/mudlsides caught on camera, that is sort of weather related, and on a dead night for TV (Archer is on Monday), on a slow weather day, I'll take what I can get.  Space them a few weeks apart, I can watch TV shows w/ home video from Iniki or Charley 20 times a year.

Discovery stopped their Reed and Sean show because of production expense, maybe TWC could by the syndication rights and show that once a week if there wasn't significant weather.

The low budget Simon and Justin storm chase show was weather.   OK, even the Coast Guard is interesting.

Gem hunting, just because it is an outdoor activity, doesn't make it really weather related.

TWC must be doing fine with all the reality/docu-type shows, though, despite the vocal crowd that thinks it's garbage and has stopped watching the channel because of it.  They have only increased these shows over the last few years.  The gem-hunting show is in its second season and it won't surprise me if it gets a third season.  I've noticed TWC re-airs 2-3 hour blocks of these shows several times throughout the week as well.  They replay the gem show a lot.  Their viewership numbers during live weather coverage, on a Monday afternoon(or anytime, really), when not much is going on weatherwise, must be pretty low and not worth the expense.

Personally I am pissed at dtv (which I have currently out of my controll) I grew up watching the twc. 50 to the hour used to be like a religous experience back in the Steve Lyons days! While kocin is gone there are still quality mets there with every bit the passion we all have. Tell me cantory isn't stoked during blizzards. Living in the long beach ny the last decade before sandy I got to meet allot of the twc guys while they were shooting live on the boardwalk. (Irene, march 2011 nor'easter ext.) good people. If it were up to me I would drop direct tv over this but I'm the only weather fanatic in my family!

Why O Why do I have DISH.

actually met kristin in person a couple of times  (once at a TCMS function out at Weathernation's facility and once at a PSU alum Assoc function) Good person that can talk shop or just be social with. and on -air, she has gotten better with time. But she does resemble her mom, noreen (WNEP-tv presenter for those not in the know).

as for the business case for these national networks, I have to admit knowing people at most of the places involved, my experience in media (even if it was on the radio), my basic economic knowledge, and sometime  to write this weekend, I am thinking of doing a  multi-page article-length blog post on how i think this will all go down this weekend. and once I got it done, i will post the link here. and don't worry, i'll go with the strict analysis/business case for the field as it's now developing. it's the best way to look at it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my thoughts on each company

TWC: The original but seems to be becoming reality TV instead of about the weather but has a pretty loyal fanbase

Weathernation: seems to be what TWC used to be with young mets with little experience but the main issue is they're not live but taped

Accuweather Channel: Has some potential to be a big competitor if they stay away from climate change stuff and only talk about the weather

Network Weather Channel: They have a real up hill battle IMO to even get on TV but with the people they're getting they may have a decent chance in a few years if they can stay on the air

Here are my thoughts on each company

TWC: The original but seems to be becoming reality TV instead of about the weather but has a pretty loyal fanbase

Weathernation: seems to be what TWC used to be with young mets with little experience but the main issue is they're not live but taped

Accuweather Channel: Has some potential to be a big competitor if they stay away from climate change stuff and only talk about the weather

Network Weather Channel: They have a real up hill battle IMO to even get on TV but with the people they're getting they may have a decent chance in a few years if they can stay on the air

My bet is on accuweather on the east coast.

I personally don't watch tv much or care really as I don't work for the industry. Only weather function that I typically check in with is the NWS.

Free with experts. TV weather is owned at the local news level via radio or tv.

Best

on the front of company viability.

it looks like network weather finally is looking at getting some income to build things up (online subscription and their own weather magazine).

and accu-weather is starting to taunt TWC in their own backyard.

but there still is the question of what cable/satellite companies will pick up those two companies.

more details in the blog post.

http://hpbear149.livejournal.com/274030.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived