joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got snowballs falling from the sky and being wind whipped into really cool shaped drifts.  Eyeball says ~6" so far.

I just got back from trying to get to the train station, two hours to go 12 miles round trip.  There were so many cars stuck that tried to get out of the parking lot (probably people that work overnight and got home this morning) I couldn't get in so came home.  There's no way I'm driving to the city to go to work today.

New AFD from Albany:

Front-end is looking somewhat meager for extreme northern areas like Dutchess and Ulster. About an inch new, snowing lightly.

If you look at the radar, I don't see how we don't easily pull 6-10" from the front end. You think otherwise? It's definitely picked up in intensity significantly in the past 15 minutes in Fishkill.

Something to keep in mind with the radar, the heaviest bands don't always translate to where the heavy snow is actually reaching the ground. I was following a discussion on this in the NE forum earlier this winter. The idea is that the snow gets blown and drifts as it falls out of the cloud. I don't think there's much research on this yet but it's interesting to say the least.

Something to keep in mind with the radar, the heaviest bands don't always translate to where the heavy snow is actually reaching the ground. I was following a discussion on this in the NE forum earlier this winter. The idea is that the snow gets blown and drifts as it falls out of the cloud. I don't think there's much research on this yet but it's interesting to say the least.

Yeah, lots of things factor into it, aside from precip intensity. If you manage efficient snow growth, you could really clean up under less than stellar echoes. Banding is making more of a push to the north... Danbury to Brewster look to be getting clobbered right now.

post-3401-0-81089400-1392306210_thumb.gi

Guest Patrick

heavy heavy snow here in vernon... someone else please look at the radar and tell me i'm not hallucinating...that the pivot has begun.  we are gonna get rocked.

heavy heavy snow here in vernon... someone else please look at the radar and tell me i'm not hallucinating...that the pivot has begun.  we are gonna get rocked.

I agree, I mentioned a little while ago that the snow had started moving WNW as opposed to the mostly due N it was moving overnight.  That should hold off the dry slot a little longer.

Looks like the HRRR is not updating?  Both on the rapid refresh site and on WB, I only see up to 12z.  RAP is up to 15z. 

I agree it certainly looks like pivot has begun and just coming down at an insane rate right now with huge flakes here in Andover.

Guest Patrick

i believe it... ridiculousness right now.  i can't see a single tree outside my window...and i live in the woods.

Words can't begin to describe how hard its snowing right now lol.. ( I feel like a coastal weenie) 

Archived