• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Heading into Fall

Right on schedule - light snow started falling a bit before 2PM.  These synoptic systems from the south are always interesting to watch for WNY.  I learned long ago to temper expectations as 6" plus in the immediate BUF area from these storms is very rare.  Happy to take anything over 4" and run with it, especially after slow start to last couple winters.  

Yes, large synoptic storms are fairly uncommon in this part of the state...though just last year BUF picked up 13" from a synoptic storm the day after Christmas, I believe. Having said that, they seem to be very uncommon during the month of November! I do vividly remember a synoptic storm on 11/15/95 when I was living in Williamsville that dropped about 8" at BUF and up to 20" down in the Southern Tier (distinctly remember it because it toppled a tree in our backyard) but aside from that, I don't really recall any other large synoptic storms at this time of year.

Back to the here and now, we have a solid coating on grassy surfaces here in Orchard Park. T/Td down to 33/31 with steady light snow and pretty good flake size.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Large dendrite size here N of SYR.  Looks like I-95 junk snow.  New BGM snow map looks like they are taking some elevation into account for accums - probably a good call. I went from 8-10" to the border of 4-6/6-8".   BUF  hasn't updated their map yet so I'll continue to willfully believe their map, where I am on the edge of 10-14". ;)  We shall see.

Large dendrite size here N of SYR. Looks like I-95 junk snow. New BGM snow map looks like they are taking some elevation into account for accums - probably a good call. I went from 8-10" to the border of 4-6/6-8". BUF hasn't updated their map yet so I'll continue to willfully believe their map, where I am on the edge of 10-14". ;) We shall see.

You know the drill Brian....BUF totals * .5-.8 = actual....well at least for our area when dealing with EC storms.

Yes, large synoptic storms are fairly uncommon in this part of the state...though just last year BUF picked up 13" from a synoptic storm the day after Christmas, I believe. Having said that, they seem to be very uncommon during the month of November! I do vividly remember a synoptic storm on 11/15/95 when I was living in Williamsville that dropped about 8" at BUF and up to 20" down in the Southern Tier (distinctly remember it because it toppled a tree in our backyard) but aside from that, I don't really recall any other large synoptic storms at this time of year.

Back to the here and now, we have a solid coating on grassy surfaces here in Orchard Park. T/Td down to 33/31 with steady light snow and pretty good flake size.

ya snow is definitely coming down steady now with good flake size. 33/30 here. Id be super happy if we could pull of 6 inches here in OP. I do think we have a better shot at it than lets say Buffalo or Tonawanda.

HRRR favoring Allegany, Livingston, Ontario, Monroe, and Wayne Counties for some heavier banded snowfall beginning around midnight tonight...just west of the snow/mix line. We occasionally get into some banding farther west, but we're really going to be teetering on the edge of the beefier QPF here in far western NY.

It's a dangerous game riding the mix line, but sometimes it's worth the risk in order to score the bigger amounts. In any event, good luck to everyone - this is definitely a nice jump start to the season, and better than the wind and rain I'm missing back in MA!

Plenty of rain here in Upstate NY further east...though I know most of the posters here are in Central or Western NY.  I'm always debating whether I should be here or the New England board. 

That said, the "donut hole" of weather headlines tonight in Albany's CWA never gets old :lol:  We usually see that once or twice a year.  Right now there's light snow falling, with 32 for the temp. 

HRRR favoring Allegany, Livingston, Ontario, Monroe, and Wayne Counties for some heavier banded snowfall beginning around midnight tonight...just west of the snow/mix line. We occasionally get into some banding farther west, but we're really going to be teetering on the edge of the beefier QPF here in far western NY.

It's a dangerous game riding the mix line, but sometimes it's worth the risk in order to score the bigger amounts. In any event, good luck to everyone - this is definitely a nice jump start to the season, and better than the wind and rain I'm missing back in MA!

Relatively unforunate east trend for WNY over the last 12 to 24 hours....the phasing must have been overestimated by the models yesterday.

ya not sure if its even worth keeping the WSW for Niagara and maybe Northern Erie county as they will likley not reach true warning criteria amounts. The only reason I can see them leaving up the warning is because its the first true accumulating snowfall for northern Erie and Niagara this year and it being the busiest travel day of the year tomorrow. Not expecting more than 6" even here in OP.

Plenty of rain here in Upstate NY further east...though I know most of the posters here are in Central or Western NY.  I'm always debating whether I should be here or the New England board. 

That said, the "donut hole" of weather headlines tonight in Albany's CWA never gets old :lol:  We usually see that once or twice a year.  Right now there's light snow falling, with 32 for the temp. 

Just had a nice burst of snow here in the last 10 minutes as WAA is on the increase... only a couple more hours until the Capital District flips completely. Maybe we get lucky and pull out some flakes on the back end from forcing associated with the upper level trough. Any eastward shift would certainly help our chances.

I'm in Ithaca too.  I wouldn't call it near heavy; it is light-moderate.  The snow seems to be having trouble sticking on pavement.

Moderate snow here on the west hill and almost 3 inches already. Just drove up from downtown and there is barely anything on the ground there. Glad to have that bit of elevation (currently resulting in a 2 degree temp difference).

Very pretty out there with the lack of wind and wet sticky nature of the snow allowing it to ahere to literally every surface. It's still hovering at 33F here, but with darkness approaching the snow is now sticking to paved surfaces as well. I'd only estimate about a half inch so far, and the flake size is much smaller than it was before as we await the deeper lift projected to arrive around 00z.

Agree with others that the east trend is unfortunate for BUF and warning amounts are unlikely to verify in this area, but I think the airport will still end up in the 4-5" ballpark. Hoping for 6" locally as I have an extra 400-500' on KBUF and there will be some elevation dependency with this.

Woke up to 2-3" of surprise snow this morning and had the honor of laying down first tracks on our road (not as cool as on a snowmobile, but still fun). Then light to moderate snow all day in Binghamton. Then I go to leave at 5pm and it's raining! Talk about a buzzkill. Currently 33* and light rain at home (Masonville area at about 1,600ft). It's a winter wonderland for now, then I presume it will be wet and brown in the morning, followed by cold, windy, and white on Thanksgiving. What a roller coaster!

Snow is really starting to pick up intensity and flake size here. Coming down very steadily now and as Justin said, its sticking to everything with it being such a wet snow & no wind. The grass here is just about completely covered now :)

Same here, picked up about an hour ago.  Gotta get that first inch out of the way, then it's off to the races... :whistle:

Measured 3.25" here at 1100' in Orchard Park at 11:00. They've plowed the road several times, so it's accumulating on paved surfaces as well. Extremely wet and sticky snow that's really causing the power lines to sag; in fact I was just outside and saw several brilliant flashes of green light, so I'm assuming some unlucky folks are starting to have power issues. We'll see what the rest of the night brings.

Measured 3.25" here at 1100' in Orchard Park at 11:00. They've plowed the road several times, so it's accumulating on paved surfaces as well. Extremely wet and sticky snow that's really causing the power lines to sag; in fact I was just outside and saw several brilliant flashes of green light, so I'm assuming some unlucky folks are starting to have power issues. We'll see what the rest of the night brings.

i saw the flashes here too.

Why is the WSW still up for BUF lol?

Archived