Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Heading into Fall

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the E. of Ontario LES snow...there will be some totals over the next 2 days that exceed 4 feet....classic steady state, center-axis oriented band with beautiful profiles! S. Jefferson county and extreme western Lewis county appear to be crosshairs through Thurs.

Definitely. Even when the cap height lowers some and the flow may be a bit fast there will still be a significant upslope component. One especially intense period may be Wednesday night. The 12z NAM has the moist unstable layer up to around 650 mb with little shear and winds around 30 kts. The low-level flow also may support a brief Lake Huron/Georgian Bay connection at that time before the band shifts south .

Definitely. Even when the cap height lowers some and the flow may be a bit fast there will still be a significant upslope component. One especially intense period may be Wednesday night. The 12z NAM has the moist unstable layer up to around 650 mb with little shear and winds around 30 kts. The low-level flow also may support a brief Lake Huron/Georgian Bay connection at that time before the band shifts south .

I can almost guarantee you that a steady state band with an extremely well organized vertical circulation structure will (in a very localized, microscale fashion) stoutly combat any cap lowerings. The OWels project is going to get a text-book example to study....and I bet we find some fascinating goings on!....on all scales, throughout the band's structure!!! Can't wait!

BTW, the meso's are pinging the areas slightly west of the best orographic lifting for max total qpf, which is a bit odd (ie southern Jeff. county as opposed to the Tug.

Yeah doesn't look like it really gets going until this evening. Latest forecast have upped accumulation totals with this event as well.

It looks like the best profiles thermodynamically will be around 22-00z tonight for the Buffalo area. The band will probably set up near Buffalo at that time as the 850 mb shortwave trough moves into the area. The profile is nearly saturated and nearly moist adiabatic up to around 650 mb, however there will be some speed shear with the wind increasing from 25 kts at 950 mb to 45 kts at 700 mb. This will probably limit snowfall rates some, we'll have to see. After 00z it looks like the band will drop south and weaken as the trough axis begins to move east of the lake.

I can almost guarantee you that a steady state band with an extremely well organized vertical circulation structure will (in a very localized, microscale fashion) stoutly combat any cap lowerings. The OWels project is going to get a text-book example to study....and I bet we find some fascinating goings on!....on all scales, throughout the band's structure!!! Can't wait!

Yeah that is a good point.

I can't wait to see the radar RHI cross-sections they sample! I did my honors thesis studying the ones that were collected with the previous mini-grant in 2010-2011.

Do you know of any realtime data that would be available via the web? ie pod, drone, radar???

One of my colleagues here at SUNY Albany has made a link to some MRR data from Sandy Creek and North Redfield. http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/tletcher/

I'll root around to see if any of the participants are making data readily available.

Do you know of any realtime data that would be available via the web? ie pod, drone, radar???

I don't believe the DOW, pod or mesonet data will be available in real time; I don't think they're set up to do live internet feeds. I can email some folks over there and see, maybe when things quiet down a bit.

One of my colleagues here at SUNY Albany has made a link to some MRR data from Sandy Creek and North Redfield. http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/tletcher/

I'll root around to see if any of the participants are making data readily available.

Thanks, great link!

Very nice....thank you. And tell Landin to get out more! If he's anything like he was 25 years ago, he was a fixture in the maproom, other than umping some softball games. lol

Been snowing here in Ithaca since the morning, mostly light, but occasionally moderate. Already got about 2" - much more than expected. The current snow appears to be lake effect from Erie? I never even thought about this possibility. How common is this for an Erie band to get that far east?

Been snowing here in Ithaca since the morning, mostly light, but occasionally moderate. Already got about 2" - much more than expected. The current snow appears to be lake effect from Erie? I never even thought about this possibility. How common is this for an Erie band to get that far east?

Not too uncommon. With sufficient ambient (synoptic) moisture, decent downwind lift, and brisk winds at all the lower levels, one can get some nice squally type LES from Erie.

BTW, with the long axis fetch off Ontario coming up, we should be able to gather tremendous data to help fine tune this vertical depiction:

6mhf.png

Note the date....this was the vertical structure over my house in Parish!! :)

Always good to hear the word "prolific" when reading about an upcoming snow event! Really nice write up...particularly for the E. Lake Ontario portion of the discussion. With that said....HEADS UF METRO BUF THIS EVENING!!!

...INTENSE LAKE EFFECT SNOW LIKELY EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO WITH LESSER

BUT STILL SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS EAST OF LAKE ERIE...

RADAR IMAGERY EARLY THIS AFTERNOON SHOWING A DECENT BAND OF LAKE

EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS EAST OF LAKE ERIE FROM THE NORTHERN PORTION OF

CHAUTAUQUA AND CATTARAUGUS COUNTIES INTO SOUTHERN ERIE AND WYOMING

COUNTIES. EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO THE LAKE SNOW HAS WEAKENED

CONSIDERABLY WITH DRY AIR AND SOME INCREASE IN SHEAR. JUST LIGHT

SNOW IS FOUND FROM OSWEGO COUNTY EAST ACROSS THE TUG HILL.

THROUGH THE NEXT FEW HOURS...THE LAKE ONTARIO ACTIVITY SHOULD REMAIN

WEAK AND DRIFT SLOWLY NORTH ACROSS THE TUG HILL REGION WITH MAINLY

LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS. OFF LAKE ERIE THE LAKE SNOW SHOULD ACCELERATE

NORTHWARD TOWARDS BUFFALO AND BATAVIA OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS AND

REACH THESE LOCATIONS BY AROUND 4PM.

THE MAIN CONCERN TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY WILL BE ONGOING LAKE

EFFECT SNOW. OUTSIDE OF LAKE EFFECT AREAS...JUST A FEW LIGHT SNOW

SHOWERS ARE POSSIBLE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON WITH A WEAK MID LEVEL

SHORTWAVE AND AREA OF DEEPER MOISTURE.

OFF LAKE ERIE...

EXPECT A RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING BAND DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON AND

EARLY EVENING TO BE FROM THE BUFFALO METRO AREA TO BATAVIA...WITH

THE EASTERN END POTENTIALLY GIVING SOME LIGHT SNOW AS FAR EAST AS

ROCHESTER. THIS BAND WILL BE ENHANCED BY INCREASING CONVERGENCE

ALONG A SECONDARY COLD FRONT OR LOW LEVEL TROUGH...IN ADDITION TO

SOME ADDED LARGE SCALE ASCENT FROM A MID LEVEL SHORTWAVE. THIS BAND

COULD DROP A QUICK 3-6 INCHES FROM THE BUFFALO AREA TO PORTIONS OF

GENESEE COUNTY...WITH THE GREATEST AMOUNTS LIKELY FROM THE BUFFALO

SOUTHTOWNS AND POSSIBLY SOME OF THE EASTERN SUBURBS TO THE SOUTHWEST

CORNER OF GENESEE COUNTY.

BY MID EVENING BOUNDARY LAYER FLOW WILL BECOME WELL ALIGNED FROM A

MORE WESTERLY OR WEST-SOUTHWEST DIRECTION. THIS WILL DIRECT THE

LAKE EFFECT INTO NORTHERN CHAUTAUQUA AND NORTHERN CATTARAUGUS

COUNTIES AS WELL AS SOUTHERN ERIE AND SOUTHWEST WYOMING COUNTIES.

LAKE INDUCED INSTABILITY DIMINISHES OVERNIGHT WITH EQUILIBRIUM

LEVELS FALLING TO BELOW 8K FEET...LIKELY DUE TO DRY AIR ALOFT. THIS

MAY LIMIT ACCUMULATION POTENTIAL TONIGHT AND KEEP AMOUNTS IN THE 3-6

INCH RANGE.

ON WEDNESDAY BOUNDARY LAYER FLOW WILL BACK SLIGHTLY TO MORE 260 OR

EVEN 250 DEGREES. THIS WILL ALLOW LAKE SNOW TO CONSOLIDATE BACK INTO

A SINGLE BAND ACROSS SOUTHERN ERIE AND WYOMING COUNTIES...POSSIBLY

CLIPPING THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY AS WELL.

ELSEWHERE ACROSS CHAUTAUQUA AND CATTARAUGUS COUNTY...EXPECT A BREAK

IN HEAVY SNOW DURING MUCH OF THE DAY. THE ORGANIZATION BACK INTO A

SINGLE BAND...AND EQUILIBRIUM LEVELS RISING BACK ABOVE 10K FEET

SHOULD PRODUCE HEAVIER SNOWFALL RATES AGAIN WITH A SOLID 5-8 INCHES

ADDITIONAL IN THE BAND CENTERED ON SOUTHERN ERIE OR CENTRAL ERIE

COUNTY.

IT WILL BE AN EXTREMELY DIFFICULT CALL WHETHER THE BAND WILL MAKE IT

BACK NORTH INTO PORTIONS OF THE BUFFALO METRO AREA OR NOT. LATEST

MESOSCALE MODEL GUIDANCE BRINGS THE BAND INTO SOME OF THE

SOUTHTOWNS...BUT OCCASIONALLY WITH STRONG SINGLE BANDS THESE

MESOSCALE MODELS HAVE A SLIGHT SOUTHWARD BIAS. FOR NOW WE HAVE

BROUGHT SEVERAL INCHES BACK INTO THE BUF SOUTHTOWNS AND FAR SOUTHERN

GENESEE COUNTY. IF THIS APPEARS MORE LIKELY...LATER SHIFTS MAY NEED

TO ADD HEADLINES FOR NORTHERN ERIE AND GENESEE COUNTIES.

OFF LAKE ONTARIO...

THE BAND MAY STAY A LITTLE DISORGANIZED THROUGH MID EVENING WITH

SOME SHEAR THROUGH THE BOUNDARY LAYER. LATE EVENING THROUGH

WEDNESDAY THE FLOW ALIGNS FROM 260-270 DEGREES WITH SOME SUBTLE

VARIATIONS DUE TO SUBTLE MID LEVEL SHORTWAVES AND LOW LEVEL WIND

ADJUSTMENTS. THIS MAY CAUSE THE BAND TO OSCILLATE SOME...BUT BY IN

LARGE IT SHOULD SPEND MOST OF THE TIME SQUARELY OVER THE TUG HILL

PLATEAU. LAKE INDUCED EQUILIBRIUM LEVELS OF 10-14K FEET...ADEQUATE

MOISTURE...A LONG WESTERLY FETCH...AND ADDED UPSLOPE FROM THE TUG

HILL PLATEAU MAY MAKE THIS A PROLIFIC EVENT.

WEST-SOUTHWEST FLOW EVENTS SUCH AS THIS DO NOT HAVE AN UPSTREAM

CONNECTION...BUT THE DOMINANT BAND CAN OFTEN BE TRACED TO THE

CONCAVE UPSTREAM SHORE NEAR HAMILTON HARBOR AT THE FAR WESTERN END

OF THE LAKE. THIS CONCAVE BAY...AND ITS INFLUENCE ON LOCAL LOW LEVEL

WINDS PROVIDES A BOOST TO LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE AND IS OFTEN THE

SOURCE REGION OF THE CLOUD BAND THAT GROWS INTO HEAVY LAKE EFFECT

SNOW AT THE OTHER END OF THE LAKE.

LATER TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY EXPECT SNOWFALL RATES TO INCREASE TO

AT LEAST 2-4 INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES...WITH LOCAL/BRIEF HIGHER

RATES POSSIBLE. OUR LOCAL THUNDERSNOW NOMOGRAM FROM LOCAL RESEARCH

BY RSH SUGGESTS AT LEAST SOME POTENTIAL FOR THUNDERSNOW AS WELL

WITHIN THE MOST INTENSE PORTION OF THE BAND.

IF THE BAND IS ABLE TO REMAIN SOMEWHAT STATIONARY OVER A SIMILAR

AREA TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...WE MAY SEE 1-2 FEET EACH 12 HOUR PERIOD

ON THE TUG HILL...WITH SOMEWHAT LESSER BUT STILL SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS

CLOSER TO THE LAKE AND ALSO EAST OF THE TUG HILL. THERE WILL BE A

DOWNSLOPE SHADOW IN THE BLACK RIVER VALLEY WITH SOMEWHAT LOWER

AMOUNTS THERE...BUT AMOUNTS WILL LIKELY INCREASE AGAIN INTO THE

WESTERN FOOTHILLS OF THE ADIRONDACKS WITH ANOTHER UPSLOPE BOOST.

TRAVEL WILL BE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT...IF NOT NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE AT

TIMES WITHIN THE MOST INTENSE PORTION OF THIS BAND. THIS INCLUDES

INTERSTATE 81 FROM PARISH TO ADAMS.-- End Changed Discussion --

Hi everyone! I don't really post on amwx any more, but I wanted to come into this thread for the big lake-effect event since I'll be up chasing it. Right now I'm at my parents' house near Syracuse and will be heading up tomorrow morning to try to get some video of the lake-effect clouds at sunrise (if I'm lucky and there's little to no clouds obscuring the main band). If anyone else is chasing and wants to meet up, let me know... I'll be chasing Wed-Fri but driving back to Syracuse at night. Also, since this is my first time chasing lake-effect up in that area, if anyone knows of good places to view the clouds from the south, please let me know!

I was also talking with Jeff Frame from UIUC earlier today on Twitter about maybe taking some video and such with the OWLeS crew, possibly for some publicity in the form of a Capital Weather Gang post. Jeff won't be joining them until Saturday, so if anyone knows of any contacts who will be on site Wed-Fri that could coordinate with Jeff and I, that would help me out.

Hi everyone! I don't really post on amwx any more, but I wanted to come into this thread for the big lake-effect event since I'll be up chasing it. Right now I'm at my parents' house near Syracuse and will be heading up tomorrow morning to try to get some video of the lake-effect clouds at sunrise (if I'm lucky and there's little to no clouds obscuring the main band). If anyone else is chasing and wants to meet up, let me know... I'll be chasing Wed-Fri but driving back to Syracuse at night. Also, since this is my first time chasing lake-effect up in that area, if anyone knows of good places to view the clouds from the south, please let me know!

I was also talking with Jeff Frame from UIUC earlier today on Twitter about maybe taking some video and such with the OWLeS crew, possibly for some publicity in the form of a Capital Weather Gang post. Jeff won't be joining them until Saturday, so if anyone knows of any contacts who will be on site Wed-Fri that could coordinate with Jeff and I, that would help me out.

Hey Mark,

I'm in Liverpool...NW suburb of SYR.  I'd LOVE to chase...but work at SU is pretty busy just before Christmas break....I think I'm a no-go.

If you can get to Oswego to  (maybe Oswego State) you can get next to the shoreline and get some great shots viewing to the north.  Otherwise, there are many "spots" along I-81 where you get some elevation (just south of Parish) and can get a decent, wide view of a band.

With the band presumably being along the Oswego/Jeff. border, you might get some really good shots up near Port Ontario (near Pulaski), as long as there isn't a cirrus shield overtop.  If you are able to get to the heart of the band (which may be doubtful, if rates start exceeding 5"+/hr.) you will be in for quite a treat, whether you have or haven't experienced such rates.  Probably stating the obvious, but overpack for clothing, food, emergency supplies, cat litter.

Enjoy, and be safe.

George

There are several good places to view lake-effect clouds looking northward along Lake Ontario. West Barrier Bar County park just north of Fair Haven, NY is a good spot right on the lake. There's a chance one of the DOWs may even be sampling there (when I was involved in the predecessor to the current grant a few years ago, DOW 7 spent the majority of its time sampling there). Sodus Point Beach park is another spot right on the lake, though it is a bit farther west; halfway between Oswego and Rochester. There are also some good locations on the SUNY Oswego campus especially on the western edge on Rudolph Rd./89. The DOW spent a decent amount of time there as well. Another location farther north and east is Selkirk Shores State Park.

I know of at least one professor I could put you in contact with, though they might be pretty busy these next couple of days. There are several students I know who are involved in the project as well if you're interested in speaking to them. I'm not involved in any way with the project so I don't really know too much about logistics but I'm sure there would be some interest in letting you take some video of their operations. Send me a PM if you want any more details or contacts. Good luck with the chase!

Thank you both for the tips! I think I'll go the SUNY Oswego route for tomorrow morning... going to try to get a sweet time lapse :D I was trying to see if Brennan Beach would be open... used to camp there almost every summer as a kid with my family.

LEK, thanks for the safety concern... I am well prepared. I grew up in the SYR area (Marcellus) and drove back and forth from SUNY Albany for college, so I'm quite familiar with heavy rates and mobility within these big lake-effect bands, though this is my first time actually chasing and getting footage of it. I hope to get into those 4-5"/hr rates at some point... if not tomorrow, then when the band reforms later this week. Even though you're busy, if you have free time and want me to drop down and get you for an afternoon chase or something, that would be fine.

heavy_wx, if you can send me stuff like Twitter accounts, that'd be great. If for some reason I can't get anything worked out through Jeff, I might ask for more info from you.

Crazy how lake effect works. Buffalo airport gets 1.1 inches and locations in Genesee county get 6-7 inches even though the band had to go through the airport to hit that county...The Rochester airport got 1.5 inches more than the Buffalo airport from a Lake Erie snowband. Lake effect is simply unpredictable! ^_^

***********************6 HOUR SNOWFALL***********************

LOCATION 6 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS
SNOWFALL OF
/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...ERIE COUNTY...
AKRON 4.0 914 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA
GRAND ISLAND 2.1 800 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA
WILLIAMSVILLE 1.7 700 PM 12/10 NWS EMPLOYEE
NORTH BUFFALO 1.4 756 PM 12/10 NWS EMPLOYEE
EAST AURORA 1.2 855 PM 12/10 NWS EMPLOYEE
NY BUFFALO INTL ARPT 1.1 700 PM 12/10 ASOS
2 N BUFFALO 0.8 953 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

...GENESEE COUNTY...
STAFFORD 6.7 800 PM 12/10 NWS EMPLOYEE
PAVILION 6.0 900 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA
5 S BATAVIA 4.0 830 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

...MONROE COUNTY...
CHURCHVILLE 6.0 850 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA
CHILI CENTER 6.0 918 PM 12/10 PUBLIC
SPENCERPORT 5.5 842 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA
ROCHESTER INTL ARPT 2.6 700 PM 12/10 ASOS
4 SE PENFIELD 2.0 924 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

...NIAGARA COUNTY...
NORTH TONAWANDA 2.2 741 PM 12/10 CO-OP OBSERVER
MIDDLEPORT 1.0 943 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

**********************12 HOUR SNOWFALL**********************

LOCATION 12 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS
SNOWFALL OF
/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CATTARAUGUS COUNTY...
PERRYSBURG 14.5 930 PM 12/10 CO-OP OBSERVER

...CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY...
CASSADAGA 12.0 846 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

...ERIE COUNTY...
EAST AURORA 2.5 855 PM 12/10 NWS EMPLOYEE

Crazy how lake effect works. Buffalo airport gets 1.1 inches and locations in Genesee county get 6-7 inches even though the band had to go through the airport to hit that county...The Rochester airport got 1.5 inches more than the Buffalo airport from a Lake Erie snowband. Lake effect is simply unpredictable! ^_^

***********************6 HOUR SNOWFALL***********************

LOCATION 6 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...ERIE COUNTY...

AKRON 4.0 914 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

GRAND ISLAND 2.1 800 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

WILLIAMSVILLE 1.7 700 PM 12/10 NWS EMPLOYEE

NORTH BUFFALO 1.4 756 PM 12/10 NWS EMPLOYEE

EAST AURORA 1.2 855 PM 12/10 NWS EMPLOYEE

NY BUFFALO INTL ARPT 1.1 700 PM 12/10 ASOS

2 N BUFFALO 0.8 953 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

...GENESEE COUNTY...

STAFFORD 6.7 800 PM 12/10 NWS EMPLOYEE

PAVILION 6.0 900 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

5 S BATAVIA 4.0 830 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

...MONROE COUNTY...

CHURCHVILLE 6.0 850 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

CHILI CENTER 6.0 918 PM 12/10 PUBLIC

SPENCERPORT 5.5 842 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

ROCHESTER INTL ARPT 2.6 700 PM 12/10 ASOS

4 SE PENFIELD 2.0 924 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

...NIAGARA COUNTY...

NORTH TONAWANDA 2.2 741 PM 12/10 CO-OP OBSERVER

MIDDLEPORT 1.0 943 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

**********************12 HOUR SNOWFALL**********************

LOCATION 12 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CATTARAUGUS COUNTY...

PERRYSBURG 14.5 930 PM 12/10 CO-OP OBSERVER

...CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY...

CASSADAGA 12.0 846 PM 12/10 SOCIAL MEDIA

...ERIE COUNTY...

EAST AURORA 2.5 855 PM 12/10 NWS EMPLOYEE

Lake erie is trolling BUF lol :lmao:

Maybe .5 inch in S Buffalo, it came down pretty hard for 15 minutes but the band just flew through here. Oh well, maybe Thu night will be better.

Potential is still there per 0z nam..

Good luck chasing tomorrow - looks like a great event to be a part of.  Another good viewing area in Oswego is the parking area adjacent to Fort Ontario.  It's an elevated spot with a nice unobstructed view of the lake: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d19365!2d-76.5072098!3d43.4680269!4m12!2m11!1m10!1s0x0%3A0x602d126c8ecf970d!3m8!1m3!1d3000292!2d-75.7700405!3d42.746632!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1

The live doppler on the channel 9 website is a great radar for tracking the L Ontario bands: http://www.9wsyr.com/content/weather/livedoppler9_static.aspx.  Looks like central Oswego County is getting hammered right now.  

Look forward to seeing some pictures.  Be safe!

Some impressive totals so far:

NEW YORK

...CATTARAUGUS COUNTY...
PERRYSBURG 18.0 615 AM 12/11 CO-OP OBSERVER
WEST VALLEY 10.0 652 AM 12/11 COCORAHS

...CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY...
CASSADAGA 6.5 600 AM 12/11 BROADCAST MEDIA
DUNKIRK 4.0 600 AM 12/11 BROADCAST MEDIA
4 SSW RIPLEY 2.9 605 AM 12/11 COCORAHS

...ERIE COUNTY...
1 NE BOSTON 8.0 630 AM 12/11 COCORAHS
ESE KENMORE 1.4 535 AM 12/11 COCORAHS