Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Atlantic Tropical Action 2013 - Part 2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much text, so little to chew one.  That's just some serious fail all around.

For Sept 5th, I don't believe I've ever seen so much FAIL in one statement.  Four systems with barely any ability be a TS let a alone a hurricane for at least five days.  A new record appears within reach.  Watch that fail as well.

See my post above. Likely -PDO forcing contributing to unfavorable SST anomalies in the subtropics.

I've heard the QBO mentioned a few times but it's in the westerly phase which is the (slightly) more favorable phase. And you're right, rising air over the EPAC probably isn't helping (it's been above average despite their below average season). It's certainly a combo of multiple different factors. Issue is finding the most relevant ones. Makes for fun discussions though!

qbo.png

Yep, for sure. I thought an overall -PDO was a good thing since it would tend to foster (not always) La Ninas which in general are better than El Ninos.

:lmao:

Wtf is that?   :D

Did you see the links on the page?  "2017 Planet X Pacific typhoon season" ...."2999 Atlantic Hurricane Season"....and then this:  http://hypotheticalhurricanes.wikia.com/wiki/4,672,234,346,322,743_atlantic_Hurricane_Season

Some people just have way too much time on their hands, apparently.

At least hypothetical hurricanes is running with Hurricane Josh in the 2018 and has it down to 894 mb.  ;)

http://hypotheticalhurricanes.wikia.com/wiki/2018_Celebrity_hurricane_season

What? Either the CMC is now autogenerating wiki sites or somebody planted a chip in Hurricane Joshes brain that reads all his thoughts and uploads them to that page.

Yep, for sure. I thought an overall -PDO was a good thing since it would tend to foster (not always) La Ninas which in general are better than El Ninos.

I thought so too and what you say about the ENSO cycle is true...but then look at the subtropical SST anomalies it promotes in the Atlantic...not the best. Also a -PDO correlates well with low N. Hemi ACE, not sure how it matches up with the Atlantic specifically though.

I thought so too and what you say about the ENSO cycle is true...but then look at the subtropical SST anomalies it promotes in the Atlantic...not the best. Also a -PDO correlates well with low N. Hemi ACE, not sure how it matches up with the Atlantic specifically though.

Yeah, cool down a big genesis reason in the Pacific and ACE will go down. Your charts are interesting. Perhaps a -PDO has a few unfavorable characteristics for the Atlantoc basin, but this year just happens to have a few more unfavorable factors. Add that up, and you get the lackluster season so far I guess. I still think we will have a late run this year, but who knows.

☺It's like a farmers almanac just for hurricanes. Only way more humorous.

What? Either the CMC is now autogenerating wiki sites or somebody planted a chip in Hurricane Joshes brain that reads all his thoughts and uploads them to that page.

Did you see the links on the page?  "2017 Planet X Pacific typhoon season" ...."2999 Atlantic Hurricane Season"....and then this:  http://hypotheticalhurricanes.wikia.com/wiki/4,672,234,346,322,743_atlantic_Hurricane_Season

Well, unfortunately (and by that I mean fortunately!) it looks like their forecast for this season won't verify:

http://hypotheticalhurricanes.wikia.com/wiki/2013_atlantic_hurricane_season

99L did not have a good diurnal minimum.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/99L/imagery/rgb_lalo-animated.gif

GFS and ECMWF still picking up on the African wave, though the former is much, much less bullish with the feature. Should track northwest into cooler waters and a more stable environment. 

Still waiting for something to reach 65 kt...

Well, unfortunately (and by that I mean fortunately!) it looks like their forecast for this season won't verify:

http://hypotheticalhurricanes.wikia.com/wiki/2013_atlantic_hurricane_season

Humberto hit Louisiana at peak intensity, causing flooding and damages to $1 quadrillion. He was as known as King Of The Changelings because he found 3 weird lizard-like beings named King Cold, Frieza, and Cooler. He then took them as his slaves, so when he was retired, they would do all his work FOREVER!!! By then, he will be replaced by Homer Simpson.

:yikes:

Give that the global models are showing basically zilch for the next week and beyond, it seems highly likely that we're going to break the modern-era record for the latest formation of the season's first hurricane (11 Sep).

Wonderin' how crazy this is gonna get before the NATL reemerges from the Twilight Zone.

This last page really cheered me up with all the funnys. Before I dive into madness, I think that -PDO causing a few problems has some merit to it, but now its starting to seem that there is no silver bullet to producing a quality season.

For Sept 5th, I don't believe I've ever seen so much FAIL in one statement.  Four systems with barely any ability be a TS let a alone a hurricane for at least five days.  A new record appears within reach.  Watch that fail as well.

Its like you read my mind! I was already in the "Lets see how awful/slow this season can be now that we now know its going to suck" camp around early August and I see the majority are coming on board. At this point I'd be perfectly fine with no more named storms this season anywhere just for the lolz.

This is what happens when kids with an above average level of knowledge of the tropics (or hurricane names and seasons) mix with a wiki. Also, what is up with those pony avatars and icons? Seems like I'm always coming across them when looking at tropical websites and social media blends.

1185372_10201836545977624_2129877605_n.j

Here's another, quite fitting:

2rfwtc7.png

well just think, we can always look back on this season and say "it can't get any worse than that".

Unfortunately this is not the case, I thought the same after 2011, and then 2012, and now to my utter displeasure 2013. Can't wait for 2014!  :facepalm: 

My 2014 contest picks.

Total depressions 40 Total storms 36 Hurricanes 34 Major hurricanes 28

:clap: 

Archived