e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The official September Banter thread

Brian5671

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the biggest meltdowns occurred on Dec 23-24 that winter when the models lost what became the Boxing Day storm. If you read the threads leading up to that storm, there are a couple great meltdowns from the board's finest, before the Xmas Miracle thread when the storm came back on the models.

There were plenty of meltdowns during that storm in the Ct River Valley from Hartford to Brattleboro.

I thought it was a fluke earlier today, but does anyone know why BOX isn't including Northern CT in it's text zone forecasts the past few cycles?

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=on&issuedby=BOX&product=ZFP

As far as I know, Hartford, Tolland and Windham counties are part of their CWA.  Is that changing or is this just a miss by today's shifts?

I thought it was a fluke earlier today, but does anyone know why BOX isn't including Northern CT in it's text zone forecasts the past few cycles?

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=on&issuedby=BOX&product=ZFP

As far as I know, Hartford, Tolland and Windham counties are part of their CWA.  Is that changing or is this just a miss by today's shifts?

I think it's an oopsie.

Went to get some firewood from my parent thanks to this winter and you can still see trees leaning and uprooted.

3B06A704-9D94-4C90-A096-ED4CB09441BD-419

Looks like you get to do some splitting there, Chief.  Welcome to the club.  I'm working on a 15'x10'x5' pile of logs ranging from 5" to 15" diameters.  Lots of therpeutic enjoyment in that.  :)

Are your folks nearby, Scott?  If it's any type of distance, you really shouldn't move the wood.  Lots of risk of insect invasion when moving wood.  Can hurt your trees and the surrounding area.

Looks like you get to do some splitting there, Chief.  Welcome to the club.  I'm working on a 15'x10'x5' pile of logs ranging from 5" to 15" diameters.  Lots of therpeutic enjoyment in that.  :)

Are your folks nearby, Scott?  If it's any type of distance, you really shouldn't move the wood.  Lots of risk of insect invasion when moving wood.  Can hurt your trees and the surrounding area.

and illegal to move from state to state

http://www.nhdfl.org/forest-health/firewood/'>http://www.nhdfl.org/forest-health/firewood/

What do you think they burn out west?   Dried Pine is fine if you mix it into a hot hardwood fire. (300F or above)

LIke Bob said, I was going to burn it outdoors. 

I don't know...that's what I was always told. The creosote is the issue I guess. What defines dried pine? I don't think 5-6 months is ok, but perhaps over a year being seasoned?

Must be us urbanites who don't use wood as a primary way to heat in the winter so the flues don't get cleaned annually.  I grew up under the same belief.

My motto is, "if it burns, it works".  That said, most of the wood I've been clearing has been maple, cherry, and ash.  Ash burns about as fast as pine.  Sucky wood.  The best is black locust.  Tough to light, but the best btu out there.  Not really a nice fragrance, but you don't get that from your stoves anyway.

Must be us urbanites who don't use wood as a primary way to heat in the winter so the flues don't get cleaned annually.  I grew up under the same belief.

Yeah, if wood is primary heat annual flue cleaning is a must and sometimes a mid-winter cleaning is in order. Therefore pine isn't a huge issue.  Any green wood burning or fire temps too low will result in creosote build up. 

My motto is, "if it burns, it works".  That said, most of the wood I've been clearing has been maple, cherry, and ash.  Ash burns about as fast as pine.  Sucky wood.  The best is black locust.  Tough to light, but the best btu out there.  Not really a nice fragrance, but you don't get that from your stoves anyway.

I'm buying a chord or two of black locust from a friend up in Colrain.  Hot, long burner.  I'll mix it in with maple and oak.  Black Locust really shouldn't be burned in a fire place though,  woodstove only.   Excess exposure to the smoke is slightly toxic.

I'm buying a chord or two of black locust from a friend up in Colrain.  Hot, long burner.  I'll mix it in with maple and oak.  Black Locust really shouldn't be burned in a fire place though,  woodstove only.   Excess exposure to the smoke is slightly toxic.

Good stuff.  I have several large Blue Beech aka Hornbeam aka Ironwood trees on my property and those are off the charts high on the BTU scale.  But I hope I never get to burn them, they are too nice.  Also many hickory which burns well too and those I don't mind taking.

I'm having 3 of the 4 flues we use cleaned.  I always forget what it costs.  I guess I"ll find out in a few hours.

And the answer is:  $495, one actually has a second flu.

Blue sky?  One thing with the black locust is it gives splinters like there's no tomorrow.

Archived